- Volume 55 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Genetic Correlations and Selection Responses for Carcass Traits between Ultrasound and Real Carcass Measurements in Hanwoo Cows
- Son, Jihyun (Department of Animal Life Resources, Hankyong National University) ;
- Lee, Deukhwan (Department of Animal Life Resources, Hankyong National University)
- Received : 2013.09.11
- Accepted : 2013.11.21
- Published : 2013.12.31
This study was conducted to determine genetic correlations among carcass traits measured by ultrasound and real carcass measurements and to estimate indirect selection responses for real carcass traits based on ultrasound measurements in Hanwoo cows. To accomplish this, 22,080 ultrasound measurement records from 17,926 cows collected from 2001 to 2012 and 11,907 carcass records obtained from fattened cattle from 2008 to 2012 were used. Genetic parameters were estimated based on eye muscle area (EMA), backfat thickness (BF) and marbling score (MS) measured by ultrasound-scanning of live cows and using the official technique on chilled bovine half-carcasses after slaughtering. Heritability and genetic correlation for carcass traits were estimated using a mixed model equation that consisted of environmental effects as fixed parameters and additive genetic effects and residual effects as random parameters, assuming that traits were different between ultrasound and carcass measurements. This statistical method was applied to the average information restricted maximum likelihood method. The heritability of EMA, BF and MS measured by ultrasound were 0.33, 0.61 and 0.46, respectively, while the heritability estimates of the corresponding traits based on carcass measurements were 0.29, 0.40 and 0.38, respectively and the genetic correlation between ultrasound and carcass traits for EMA, BF and MS were 0.41, 0.78 and 0.67, respectively. The genetic correlation between ultrasound and carcass traits was highly positive. Additionally, the selection response for marbling score was estimated to be 0.42 per generation if the cows were selected based on the ultrasound scan marbling score with an assumed selection intensity of 0.8. Overall, these results indicate that the ultrasound scan technique would be applicable to judging cow selection for genetically improved meat quality.
- Cho, C. I. 2013. Accuracy of breeding value prediction and genetic gain of carcass traits in Hanwoo breeding population through application of genomic selection technology. Hankyong National University. Ph.D. Dissertation, Hankyong National University, Ansung, Korea.
- Choi, T. J., Kim, S. D., Salces, Agapita J., Baik, D. H. 2006. Genetic parameter estimation on the growth and carcass trait in Hanwoo (Korean Cattle). J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. (Kor.) 48:759-766. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2006.48.6.759
- Crews, D. H. and Kemp, R. A. 2001. Genetic parameters for ultrasound and carcass measures of yield and quality among replacement and slaughter beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 79:3008-3020. https://doi.org/10.2527/2001.79123008x
- Crews, D. H., Pollak, E. J., Weaber, R. L., Quaas, R. L. and Lipsey, R. J. 2003. Genetic parameters for carcass traits and their live animal indicators in Simmental. J. Anim. Sci. 81: 1427-1433. https://doi.org/10.2527/2003.8161427x
- Devitt, C. J. and Wilton, J. W. 2001. Genetic correlation estimates between ultrasound measurements on yearling bulls and carcass measurements on finished steers. J. Anim. Sci. 79:2790-2797. https://doi.org/10.2527/2001.79112790x
- Gilmour, A. R., Thompson, R. and Cullis, B. R. 1995. Average information REML: An efficient algorithm for variance parameter estimation in linear mixed models. Biometrics 51: 1440-1450. https://doi.org/10.2307/2533274
- Hirooka, H., Groen, A. F. and Matsumoto, M. 1996. Genetic parameters for growth and carcass traits in Japanese brown cattle estimated from field records. J. Anim. Sci. 74:2112-2116. https://doi.org/10.2527/1996.7492112x
- Kemp, D. J., Herring, W. O. and Kaiser, C. J. 2002. Genetic and environmental parameters for steer ultrasound and carcass traits. J. Anim. Sci. 80:1489-1496. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.8061489x
- Koo, Y. M. 2007. Estimation of Genetic Correlation and Parameter for Ultrasound Measurements and Performance Test Data in Hanwoo Cows (Korean Cattle). MS. Dissertation, Gyeongsang National University, Chinju, Korea.
- Kim, H. C., Lee, S. H., Dang, C. G., Jeon, G. J., Yeon, S. H., Cho, Y. M., Lee, S. M., Yang, B. S. and Kim, J. B. 2012. Estimation of Genetic Parameters for Ultrasound and Carcass Traits in Hanwoo. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. (Kor.) 54:331-336. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2012.54.5.331
- Kim, H. S., Hwang, J. M., Choi, T. J., Park, B. H., Cho, K. H., Park, C. J. and Kim, S. D. 2010. Research on the reformation of the selection index for Hanwoo provan bull. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. (Kor.) 52:83-90. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.2.083
- Lee, D. H. 2003. Monte Carlo Simulations of Selection Responses for Improving High Meat Qualities Using Real Time Ultrasound in Korean Cattle. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. (Kor.) 45:343-354. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2003.45.3.343
- Lee, D. H., Lee, G. H., Cho, C. I. and Kim, N. S. 2008. Effects of Body condition Score and Estimation of Growth Curves for Chest Girth and Ultra Sonic Longissimus Muscle Area, Backfat Thickness and Marbling Scores in Hanwoo (Korean cattle) Cows. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. (Kor.) 50:581-590. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2008.50.5.581
- Lee, J. H., Yeo, J. S. 2011. Estimation of genetic parameters using real-time ultrasound measurements in Hanwoo. Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society. 22:1145-1152.
- Lee, D. H., Choudhary, V. and Lee, G. H. 2006. Genetic Parameter Estimates for Ultrasonic Meat Qualities in Hanwoo Cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:468-474. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.468
- Lee, D. H. and Kim, H. C. 2004. Genetic Relationship between Ultrasonic and Carcass Measurements for Meat Qualities in Korean Steers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:6-12. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.7
- Misztal, I., Tsuruta, S., Strabel, T., Auvray, B., Druet, T. and Lee, D. H. 2002. BLUPF90 and related programs (BGF90). Proc. 7th world congress genetics and applied livestock production, Montpellier, France. CD-ROM communication 28:07. Available via http://nce.ads.uga.edu/-ignacy/programs.html
- National Institute of Animal Science. 2008. Report of genetic evaluation for Hanwoo breeding. Vol. 21:P12.
- Park, B. H., Choi, T. J., Cho, K. H., Choi, J. G., Lee, S. S., Chung, H. Y., Kim, S. D., Kim, H. S., Hwang, J. M. and Lee, S. S. 2010. Comparison of Hanwoo proven and young bulls for major economic traits. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. (Kor.) 52:253-258. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.4.253
- Reverter, A., Johnston, D. J., Graser, H. U., Wolcott, M. L. and Upton, W. H. 2000. Genetic analyses of live-animal ultrasound and abattoir carcass traits in Australian Angus and Hereford cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 78:1786-1795. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.7871786x
- Roh, S. H. 2004. Comparison between REML and Gibbs Sampling algorithm with a mixed animal model to estimate genetic parameters for carcass traits in Hanwoo (Korean Native Cattle). MS. Dissertation, Gyeongsang National University, Chinju, Korea.
- Roh, S. H., Kim, C. Y., Won, Y. S., Park, C. J., Lee, S. S. and Lee. J. G. 2010. Studies on genetic parameter estimation and sire selection to ultrasound measurement traits of Hanwoo. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. (Kor.) 52:1-8. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.1.001
- Stelzleni, A. M., Perkins, T. L., Brown, A. H., Pohlman, Jr., F. W., Johnson, Z. B. and Sandelin, B. A. 2002. Genetic parameter estimates of yearling live animal ultrasonic measurements in brangus cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 80:3150-3153. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.80123150x
- Utrera, A. R. and Van Vleck, L. D. 2004. Heritability estimates for carcass traits of cattle: a review. Genetics and Molecular Research 3:380-394.
- Von Bertalanffy, L. 1957. Quantitative laws in metabolism and growth. Q. Rev. Biol. 32:217-230. https://doi.org/10.1086/401873
- Yoon, W. J. 2010. Study on Genetic Improvement for Meat Quality of Hanwoo Cows using Ultrasonic Measurements. Ph.D. Dissertation, Hankyong National University, Ansung, Korea.
- Yoon, H. B., Kim, S. D., Na, S. H., Chang, U. M., Lee, H. K., Jeon, G. J. and Lee, D. H. 2002. Estimation of genetic parameters for carcass traits in Hanwoo steer. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. (Kor.) 44:383-390. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2002.44.4.383