- Volume 43 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Image analysis of the eruptive positions of third molars and adjacent second molars as indicators of age evaluation in Thai patients
- Mahasantipiya, Phattaranant May (Department of Oral Biology and Diagnostic Sciences and Biomedical Engineering Centre, Faculty of Dentistry, Chiang Mai University) ;
- Pramojanee, Sakarat (Department of Oral Biology and Diagnostic Sciences and Biomedical Engineering Centre, Faculty of Dentistry, Chiang Mai University) ;
- Thaiupathump, Trasapong (Department of Computer Engineering and Biomedical Engineering Centre, Faculty of Engineering, Chiang Mai University)
- Received : 2013.07.03
- Accepted : 2013.09.08
- Published : 2013.12.31
Purpose: This study was performed to determine the relationship between the stage of tooth eruption (both vertical and mesio-angular) and chronological age. Materials and Methods: Indirect digital panoramic radiographs were used to measure the distances from the dentinoenamel junction (DEJ) of the second molars to the occlusal plane of the second molar teeth and of the adjacent third molars in 264 Thai males and 437 Thai females using ImageJ software. The ratio of those distances was calculated by patient age, and the correlation coefficient of the ratio of the third molar length to the second molar length was calculated. Results: The correlation between the height of the vertically erupted upper third molar teeth and age was at the intermediate level. The age range of
- Levesque GY, Demirijian A, Tanguay R. Sexual dimorphism in the development, emergence, and agenesis of the mandibular third molar. J Dent Res 1981; 60: 1735-41. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345810600100201
- Olze A, Peschke C, Schulz R, Schmeling A. Studies of the chronological course of wisdom tooth eruption in a German population. J Forensic Leg Med 2008; 15: 426-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jflm.2008.02.008
- Olze A, van Niekerk P, Ishikawa T, Zhu BL, Schulz R, Maeda H, et al. Comparative study on the effect of ethnicity on wisdom tooth eruption. Int J Legal Med 2007; 121: 445-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00414-007-0171-9
- Uzamis M, Kansu O, Taner TU, Alpar R: Radiographic evaluation of third-molar development in a group of Turkish children. ASDC J Dent Child 2000; 67: 136-41.
- Sarnat H, Kaffe I, Porat J, Amir E. Developmental stages of the third molar in Israeli children. Pediatr Dent 2003; 25: 373-7.
- Blankenship JA, Mincer HH, Anderson KM, Woods MA, Burton EL. Third molar development in the estimation of chronologic age in American blacks as compared with whites. J Forensic Sci 2007; 52: 428-33. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1556-4029.2006.00356.x
- Meinl A, Tangl S, Huber C, Maurer B, Watzek G. The chronology of third molar mineralization in the Austrian populationa contribution to forensic age estimation. Forensic Sci Int 2007;169: 161-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2006.08.014
- Mincer HH, Harris EF, Berryman HE. The A.B.F.O. study of third molar development and its use as an estimator of chronological age. J Forensic Sci 1993; 38: 379-90.
- Nykanen R, Espeland L, Kvaal SI, Krogstad O. Validity of the Demirjian method for dental age estimation when applied to Norwegian children. Acta Odontol Scand 1998; 56: 238-44. https://doi.org/10.1080/00016359850142862
- Orhan K, Ozer L, Orhan AI, Dogan S, Paksoy CS. Radiographic evaluation of third molar development in relation to chronological age among Turkish children and youth. Forensic Sci Int 2007; 165: 46-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2006.02.046
- Dhanjal KS, Bhardwaj MK, Liversidge HM. Reproducibility of radiographic stage assessment of third molars. Forensic Sci Int 2006; 159 Suppl 1: s74-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2006.02.020
- Demirjian A, Goldstein H, Tanner JM. A new system of dental age assessment. Hum Biol 1973; 45: 211-27.
- Thevissen PW, Pittayapat P, Fieuws S. Estimating age of majority on third molars developmental stages in young adults from Thailand using a modified scoring technique. J Forensic Sci 2009; 54; 428-32. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1556-4029.2008.00961.x