- Volume 24 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Synthesis of Succinic Acid from Hydrogenation of Maleic Anhydride
무수말레인산의 수소화 반응에 의한 호박산 합성
- Kim, Ji Sun (Green Technology Center, Korea Institute of Industrial Technology (KITECH)) ;
- Baek, Jae Ho (Green Technology Center, Korea Institute of Industrial Technology (KITECH)) ;
- Kim, Myung Hwan (Green Technology Center, Korea Institute of Industrial Technology (KITECH)) ;
- Hong, Seong-Soo (Department of Chemical Engineering, Pukyong National University) ;
- Lee, Man Sig (Green Technology Center, Korea Institute of Industrial Technology (KITECH))
- 김지선 (한국생산기술연구원 친환경청정기술센터) ;
- 백재호 (한국생산기술연구원 친환경청정기술센터) ;
- 김명환 (한국생산기술연구원 친환경청정기술센터) ;
- 홍성수 (부경대학교 화학공학과) ;
- 이만식 (한국생산기술연구원 친환경청정기술센터)
- Received : 2013.08.14
- Accepted : 2013.10.01
- Published : 2013.12.10
In this study, the synthesis of succinic acid from hydrogenation of maleic anhydride over Pd/C were performed in aqueous solution at various reaction conditions. We confirmed that the distribution of product was different according to process parameters. When increasing the reaction pressure and agitation speed, the by-product decreased and the purity of succinic acid increased. From the result, we may conclude that the reaction pressure and agitation speed are important factors for promoting the mass transfer rate of gas-liquid interface by increasing gas-liquid solubility in liquid hydrogenation. When the reaction pressure increased from 5 bar to 10 bar, the reaction rate increased 2.14 times. When the agitation speed increased from 300 rpm to 700 rpm, the reaction rate increased 2.75 times.
- Y. Souichi and H. Hidefumi, Production of succinic acid, Japan Patent, 09-204148 (1997).
- E. R. Edward, Hydrogenation method for preparing tetrahydrofuran, W. O. Patent, 9202298 (1992).
- J. M. Weiss and C. R. Downs, Primary study on the formation malic acid, J. Chem. Soc., 44, 1118 (1922). https://doi.org/10.1021/ja01426a025
- J. I. Kroschwitz., Maleic anhydride, Maleic acid and Fumaric aicd, Kirk-Othmer Concise Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology, 4th Ed, 26, pp 1242, Wiley, New York (1999).
- K. Lohbeck, H. Haferkorn, W. Fuhrmann, and N. Fedtke., Maleic acid, Fumaric acid., Ullmann's Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology, Ed. B. Elvers, S. Hawkins, Schulz, A16,53 (1990).
- J. P. Boitiaux, J. Consyns, and E. Robert, Hydrogenation of unsaturated hydrocarbons in liquid phase on palladium and rhodium catalyst : III. Quantitative selectivity rankind of olatinum, palladium and rhodium in hydrogenation of 1-butene, 1,3-butadien and 1-butyne using a single reaction scheme, Applied Catalysis, 35, 193 (1987). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0166-9834(00)82860-2
- H. Song and S. Y. Lee, Production of succinic acid by bacterial fermentation, Enzyme and Microbial Technology, 39, 352-361 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enzmictec.2005.11.043
- J. G. Zeikus, M. K. Jain, and P. Elankovan, Biotechnology of succinic acid production and markets for derived industrial products, Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 51, 545-552 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1007/s002530051431
- R. Datta., Process for the production of succinic acid by anaerobic fermentation, U.S. Patent, 19 : 5143833 (1992).
- D.-Y. Hong, Y.-H. Park, and B.-E. Hong, Mechanism of low pressure hydrogenation of maleic acid over Pd/C catalyst in aqueous solution, J. Korea Ind. End. Chem., 14, 541 (2003).
- M. A. Mabry, W. W. Prichard, and S. B. Ziemecki, Process for making tetrahydrofuran and 1,4-butanediol using Pd/Re hydrogenation catalyst, U.S. Patent, 4,550,187 (1985).
- Effect of Preparation Method for Pd/C Catalysts on Pd Characterization and their Catalytic Activity vol.26, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14478/ace.2015.1080