- Volume 24 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Arthrospira platensis Mutants Containing High Lipid Content by Electron Beam Irradiation and Analysis of Its Fatty Acid Composition
전자빔 조사에 의해 지질 함량이 증대된 Arthrospira platensis 변이주 분리 및 지방산 분석
- Choi, Soo-Jeong (Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, College of Medical and Life Science, Silla University) ;
- Kim, Young-Hwa (Department of Pharmaceutical Engineering, College of Medical and Life Science, Silla University) ;
- Kim, Andre (Department of Pharmaceutical Engineering, College of Medical and Life Science, Silla University) ;
- Lee, Jae-Hwa (Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, College of Medical and Life Science, Silla University)
- 최수정 (신라대학교 의생명과학대학 생명공학과) ;
- 김영화 (신라대학교 의생명과학대학 제약공학과) ;
- 김안드레 (신라대학교 의생명과학대학 제약공학과) ;
- 이재화 (신라대학교 의생명과학대학 생명공학과)
- Received : 2013.07.19
- Accepted : 2013.08.22
- Published : 2013.12.10
Arthrospira platensis (A. platensis) is an economically important microalgae because it has carbohydrates, lipids, proteins and a number of phytochemicals. It is also a valuable source used in the production of biodiesel and functional foods. In this study, A. platensis was exposed to electron beam irradation (240 kGy) and induced random mutagenesis for strain improvement. Several mutants were obtained, and the resulting mutant was designated as EB29. The growth rate and chlorophyll content of EB29 was similar to those of wild type. However, the lipid content of EB29 was increased seven-fold compared to that of wild type when comparing the nile red fluorescent intensity. Semi-quantitative analysis of EB29 using the calibration plot of standard lipid, triolein, represented
- B. R Choi, D. S. Kim, and T. Y. Lee, Correlation Conditions for Marine Microalgae Isochrysis galbana under Illumination of Light Emitting Diodes, KGES, 13, 63 (2012).
- S.-S. Hong and N.-H. Lee, Growth of Spirulina platensis in effiuents from wastewater treatment plant of pig farm, J. Microbio. Biotechnol., 3, 19 (1993).
- S. Otles and R. Pire, Fatty Acid Composition of Chlorella and Spiculina Microalgae Species, J. AOAC Int., 84, 1708 (2001).
- S. cheevadhanarak, N. T. Marsac, J. C. Thomas, M. Tanticharoen and P. Nomsawai, Light regulation of phycobilicome structure and gene expression in Spirulina platensis C1 (Arthrospira sp. PCC9483), Plant Cell Physiol., 40, 1194 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.pcp.a029507
- P. B. Bescos, A. M. Fresno, and J. E. P. Estrada, Antioxidant activity of different fractions of Spirulina platensis protean extract, Il Farmaco, 56, 497 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-827X(01)01084-9
- Y.-J. Lee, S.-C. Wok, H.-J. Kim, J.-H. Lee, and M.-R. Kim, Quality characteristics and antioxidant activities of spirulina added Korean rice cake (Garaeduk) during storage, Korean J. Food Preserv., 16, 23 (2009).
- J.-Y. Kim, H. Joo, and J.-H. Lee, Carbon dioxide fixation and light source effects of spirulina platensis NIES 39 for LED photobioreactor design, Appl. Chem. Eng., 22, 301 (2011).
- J.-K. Park and C.-G. Lee, Immobiliztion of astaxanthin extracted from photosynthetic micro algae heamatococcus lacustris, J. Chitin Chitosan., 13, 210 (2008).
- H.-J. Park, Y.-H. Kim, and J.-H. Lee, Characterization of arthrospira platensis mutants generated by UV-B irradiation, Appl. Chem. Eng., 23, 496 (2012).
- Y.-H. Kim and J.-H. Lee, Isolation of arthrospira platensis mutants producing high lipid and phycobiliproteins, J. KSBB, 27, 172 (2012). https://doi.org/10.7841/ksbbj.2012.27.3.172
- H. Y. Jeong and K.-R. Kim, Strain improvement based on ion beam-induced mutagenesis, Kor. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 38, 235 (2010).
- S. H. Yu, I. H. Cho, S. W. Chang, S. J. Lee, S. Y. Chun, and H. L. Kim, Decomposition characteristics of fungicides (Benomyl) using a design of experiment (DOE) in an E-beam process and acute toxicity assessment, J. KSEE, 30, 955 (2008).
- J. H. Ryu, H.-S. So, S.-H. Bae, H. S. Kang, B. C. Lee, S.-Y. Kang, H.-Y. Lee, and C.-H. Bae, Geuetic Diversity of in vitro Cultured Cymbidium spp. Irradiated with Electron Beam, Kor. J. Breed. Sci., 45, 8 (2013). https://doi.org/10.9787/KJBS.2013.45.1.008
- Y. M. Kim, J.-Y. Kim, S.-M. Lee, J.-M. Ha, T. H. Kwon, and J.-H. Lee, Carbon Dioxide Fixation using Spirulina Plantensis NIES 39 in Polyethylene Bag, Appl. Chem. Eng., 21, 272 (2010).
- S.-R. Moon, B.-K. Son, J.-O. Yang, J.-S. Woo, C. M. Yoom, and G.-H. Kim, Effect of electron-beam irradiation on development and reproduction of bemisia tabaci, myzus persicae, plutella xylostella and tetranychus urticae, Kor. J. Appl. Entomol., 49, 129 (2010). https://doi.org/10.5656/KSAE.2010.49.2.129
- W. Chen, M. Sommerfeld, and Q. Hu, Microwave-assisted Nilered method for in vivo quantification of neutral lipids in microalgae, Bioresour. Technol., 102, 135 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2010.06.076
- E. Bertozzini, L. Galluzzi, A. Penna, and M. magnani, Application of the standard addition method for the absolute quantification of newtural lipids in microalge using Nile red, J. Microbiol. Methods., 87, 17 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mimet.2011.06.018
- H.-L. Tran, S.-J. Hong, and C.-G. Lee, Evaluation of extraction methods for recovery of fatty acids from Botrycoccus braunii LB 572 and Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803, Appl. Biotechnol. Bioprocess Eng., 14, 187 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12257-008-0171-8
- S. H. Oh, J. G. Han, N. Y. Kim, J. S. Cho, T. B. Yim, S. Y. Lee, and H. Y. Lee, Cell growth and lipid production from fed-batch cultivation of chlorella minutissima according to culture conditions, J. KSBB., 24, 377 (2009).
- S. R. Ronda and S. S. Lele, Culture conditions stimulating high gamma linolenic acid accumulation by Spirulina platensis, Brazil. J. Microbiol., 39, 693 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1590/S1517-83822008000400018
- G. Mahajan and M. Kamat, Linolenic acid production from Spirulina platensis, Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 43, 466 (1995). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00218450
- Effect of Nano Bubble Oxygen and Hydrogen Water on Microalgae vol.25, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.14478/ace.2014.1038
- Characterization of Chlorella Vulgaris Mutants Generated by EMS (Ethyl Methane Sulphonate) vol.26, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14478/ace.2015.1007
- Characterization of Arthrospira platensis Cultured in Nano-bubble Hydrogen Water vol.26, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14478/ace.2015.1042
- Isolation of Chlorella vulgaris Mutants Producing High Lipid and their Characterization vol.26, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14478/ace.2014.1135
- Isolation of an Arthrospira platensis Mutant Induced by Electron Beam Irradiation and its Characterization vol.26, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14478/ace.2015.1076
- Sulfonated Poly(ether ether ketone) Ion-Exchange Membrane for Membrane Capacitive Deionization Applications pp.2092-7673, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13233-019-7043-2