- Volume 24 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Sleep-Induction Effects of GABA Coated Rice from Fermentation of Mono Sodium Glutamate
Mono Sodium Glutamate 발효로 얻은 GABA 코팅 쌀에 의한 수면유도 효과
- Kim, Ok Ju (Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Graduate School, Silla University) ;
- Lee, Jeong Kwang (Department of Pharmaceutical Engineering, College of Medical & Life Science, Silla University) ;
- Woo, Young Min (Department of Pharmaceutical Engineering, College of Medical & Life Science, Silla University) ;
- Choi, Seung Tae (Full & Fill Bio) ;
- Park, Mi Yeon (Full & Fill Bio) ;
- Kim, Andre (Department of Pharmaceutical Engineering, College of Medical & Life Science, Silla University) ;
- Ha, Jong-Myung (Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Graduate School, Silla University)
- 김옥주 (신라대학교 대학원 환경생명공학과) ;
- 이정광 (신라대학교 제약공학과) ;
- 우영민 (신라대학교 제약공학과) ;
- 최승태 (풀앤필바이오) ;
- 박미연 (풀앤필바이오) ;
- 김안드레 (신라대학교 제약공학과) ;
- 하종명 (신라대학교 대학원 환경생명공학과)
- Received : 2013.06.17
- Accepted : 2013.08.29
- Published : 2013.12.10
Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) is a non-protein amino acid widely present in organisms, which has shown several important physiological functions such as neurotransmission, hypotension induction, as well as diuretic and tranquilizer effects. They have also been extensively used in food industry. GABA contents in the grain and brown rice are about 1~4 mg/100 g and 4~8 mg/100 g, respectively but it is difficult to expect physiological activity from such low amounts of natural food intake. We investigate the effects of GABA-coated rice on the secretion of melatonin and serotonin which both have been used as sleep inductive compounds. As a result, the secretion of melatonin and serotonin from mice were found to be
Supported by : 농림수산식품부
- J. S. Chang, B. S. Lee, and Y. G. Kim, Changes in aaminobutyric aminobutyric acid (GABA) and the main constituents by a treatment conditions of anaerobically treated green tealeaves, Korean J. Food Sci. Technol., 24, 315-319 (1992).
- B. V. Manyam, L. Katz, T. A. Hare, K. Kaniefski, and R. D. Tremblay, Isoniazid-induced elevation of CSF GABA levels and effects on chorea in Huntington's disease, Ann. Neurol., 10, 35-37 (1981). https://doi.org/10.1002/ana.410100107
W. B. Alan and J. S. Barry, The metabolism and functions of
$\gamma$-aminobutyric acid, Plant Physiol., 115, 1-5 (1997). https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.115.1.1
- J. S. Barry, W. B. Alan, and D. M. Michael, Metabolism and function of gamma-aminobutyric acid, Trends in Plant Sci., 4, 446-452 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1016/S1360-1385(99)01486-7
T. Tsukatani, T. Higuchi, and K. Matsumoto, Enzyme-based microtiter plate assay for
$\gamma$-aminobutyric acid: Application to the screening of $\gamma$-aminobutyric acidproducing lactic acid bacteria, Anal Chim Acta., 540, 293-297 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2005.03.056
- I. Mody, Y. Dekoninck, T. S. Otis, and I. Soltesz, Bridging the cleft at GABA synapses in the brain, Trends Neurosci., 17, 517-528 (1994). https://doi.org/10.1016/0166-2236(94)90155-4
- A. G. Leventhal, Y. C. Wang, M. L. Pu, Y. F. Zhou, and Y. Ma, GABA and its agonists improved visual cortical function in senescent monkeys, Science, 300, 812-815 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1082874
- W. Z. Potter, M. W. Fudirfer, and H. K. Manji, Potential New Pharmacotheraples for Refractory Depression, Int. Rev. Psychiatry., 9, 145-169 (1990).
- Y. S. Choi, J. H. Bahn, S. G. Jeon, Y. M. Chung, J. W. Hong, J. Y. Ahn, E. H. Lee, S. W. Cho, J. K. Park, and N. I. Beak, Stimulatory effect of ginsenosides on bovin brain glutamate decarboxylase, J. Biochem. Mol. Biol., 31, 233-239 (1998).
S. H. Oh, Stimulation of
$\gamma$-aminobutyric acid synthesis activity in brown rice by a chitosan/glutamic acid germination solution and calcium/calmodulin, J. Biochem. Mol. Biol., 36, 319-325 (2003). https://doi.org/10.5483/BMBRep.2003.36.3.319
- S. H. Oh and C. H. Oh, Brown rice extracts with enhanced levels of GABA stimulate immune cells, Food Sci. Biotechnol., 12, 248-252 (2003).
- S. H. Oh, Effects and applications of germinated brown rice with enhanced levels of GABA, Food Sic. Indus., 40, 41-46 (2007).
Y. R. Cho, Y. J. Chang, and H. C. Chang, Production of
$\gamma$-aminobutyric acid (GABA) by Lactobacillus buchneri isolated from kimchi and its neuroprotective effect on neuronal cells. J. Microviol. Biotechnol., 17, 104-109 (2007).
- M. L. Cross, Immune-signaling by orally-delivered probiotic bacteria: Effects on common mucosal immunoresponses and protection at distal mucosal sites, Int. J. Immunopathol. Pharmacol., 17, 127-134 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1177/039463200401700204
S. B. Han and Y. H. Kim, Production method of
$\gamma$-aminobutyric acid-enforced fermentative products by lactic acid bacteria, $\gamma$-aminobutyric acid-enforced fermentative products producedby the method and their utilization. Korea Patent, 10-0547018 (2006).
J. H. Jeun, H. D. Kim, H. S. Lee, and B. H. Ryu, Kor. Isolation and identification of Lactobacillus sp. produced
$\gamma$-aminobutyric acid (GABA) form traditional slat fermented anchovy, J. Food. Nutr., 1, 72-79 (2004).
- G. Muramoto and S. Kawamura, Rice protein and antihypertensive peptide from rice, Nippon Shokuhin Kougyo., 34, 18-26 (1991).
- K. Y. Park, C. S. Kang, Y. C. Cho, Y. S. Lee, Y. H. Lee, and Y. S. Lee, Genotypic difference in tocotrienol contents of rice bran, Korean J. Crop. Sci., 48, 469-472 (2003).
- S. R. Kim, J. Y. Ahn, H. Y. Lee, and T. Y. Ha, Various properties and phenolic acid contents of rices and rice brans with different milling fractions, Korean J. Food Sci. Technol., 36, 930-936 (2004).
- S. K. Oh, D. J. Kim, A. R. Chun, M. R. Yoon, K. J. Kim, J. S. Lee, H. C. Hong, and Y. K. Kim, Antioxidant compounds and antioxidant activities of ethanol extracts from milling by-products of rice cultivars, J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr., 39, 624-630 (2010). https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.4.624
- J. Axelord and H. Weissbach, Enzymatic O-methylation of N-acetylserotonin to melatonin, Science, 131, 1312-1312 (1960). https://doi.org/10.1126/science.131.3409.1312
- A. B. Lerner and J. D. Case, Melatonin, Fed Proc., 19, 590-592 (1960).
- Illnerova H, The Suprachiasmatic nucleus and rhythmic pineal melatonin production, Suprachiasmatic nucleus: the mind's clock, 197, Oxford University Press, New York (1991).
- C. H. Oh and S. H. Oh, Effects of germinated brown rice extracts with enhanced levels of GABAon cancer cell proliferation and apotosis, J. Med. Food., 7, 19-23 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1089/109662004322984653
- S. S. Kim, S. H. Oh, M. H. Jeong, S. C. Cho, M. C. Kook, S. H. Lee, Y. R. Pyun, and H. Y. Lee, Sleep-Inductive Effect of GABA on the Fermentation of Mono Sodium Glutamate (MSG), Korean J. Food Sci. Technol., 42, 142-146 (2010).
- S. Y. Kang, K. Y. Lee, M. J. Park, Y. C. Kim, G. J. Maekelonis, T. H. Oh, and Y. C. Kim, Decursin from Angelica gigas mitigates amnesia induced by scopolamine in mice, Neurobiol. Learn. Mem., 79, 11-18 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S1074-7427(02)00007-2
- C. A. Czeisler, Suppression of Melatonin Secretion in Some Blind Patients by Exposure to Bright Light, N. Engl. Med. J. Med., 332, 6-11 (1995). https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199501053320102
- Y. Y. Hong, I. S. Moon, D. I. Kim, and T. K. Lee, A study on melatonin, serotonin secretion change and behavior in the rats treated with Yiseontang, Gammakdaejotang, Sanjointang, and Sanjogammaktang, J. Orient. Gynecol., 12, 209-230 (1999).
- Effects of NaCl Replacement with Gamma-Aminobutyric acid (GABA) on the Quality Characteristics and Sensorial Properties of Model Meat Products vol.34, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2014.34.4.552