- Volume 31 Issue 6
The large-scale structures have the possibility that there are defects such as cracks due to stress concentration caused by geometric discontinuities in the structure. In this respect, the assessment of fatigue life and the development of structural health monitoring(SHM) are very important. Fatigue design of structure is typically accomplished either using a set of stress cycle (S-N) data obtained from fatigue tests or using the fracture mechanics approach. The stress intensity factor(SIF) is required for the estimation of fatigue crack propagation life from the linear elastic fracture mechanics (LEFM) perspective. In this study, Macro Fiber Composie(MFC) sensor for the measurement of SIF of two dimensional cracks is used. The SIF based on the piezoelectric constitutive law and fracture mechanics are calculated. The measured values of the SIF are later used for the prediction of the crack propagation life. In this study, the measured value of the SIF and the fatigue life are compared with the theoretical results.
MFC sensor;Stress intensity factor(SIF);Fatigue crack propagation life
- D.S. Um, et al. : A Study on the fatigue strength analysis of the welded joints in ship hull construction, Journal of KWS, 10-4 (1992), 259-267 (in Korean)
- M.H. Kim, S.W. Kang, and H.R. Kim :A Study on the Fatigue Life Assessment for Load-carrying Fillet Welded Joints using Stress Intensity Factor, Journal of KWJS, 26-6 (2008), 97-102 (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.5781/KWJS.2008.26.6.097
- Norman E.Dowling : Mechanical Behavior of Material (3rd Edition), 2007, Pearson Education, Inc., 535-597
- K.S. Kim, et al. : A Study of Crack Propagation and Fatigue Life Prediction on Welded Joints of Ship Structure(I), Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 45 (2008), 669-678 (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2008.45.6.669
- Fujimoto. Y : Piezoelectric sensor for stress intensity factor measurement of two dimensional cracks, Engineering Fracture Mecahnics, 70 (2003), 1203-1218 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0013-7944(02)00091-7
- T.L. Anderson : Fracture mechanics(3rd Edition), 2005, CRC Press
- M.H. Kim, B. Butrym, and D.J.Inman : Fatigue life Estimation of structural components using MFC sensors. An International Journal for Experimental Mechanics. 2010
- H. Tada, P.C. Paris, and G.R. Irwin : The stress analysis of Cracks Handbook(2nd Edition), 1985, Paris Productions Inc.
- M.H. Kim, J.Y. Geam : A structural health monitoring system with application to welded structures, The Korea Society of Ocean Engineers, 19-4 (2005), 384-394 (in Korean)
- W.K. Wilkie, et al. : Low-cost piezocomposite actuator for structural control applications, Proceedings of 7th SPIE, 3991 (2000), 323-334