- Volume 24 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Preliminary Study to Develop the Instrument on Pattern Identifications for Depression
우울증 변증도구 개발을 위한 기초연구
- Received : 2013.11.19
- Accepted : 2013.12.06
- Published : 2013.12.30
Objectives: The purpose of this study is to develop a standard tool for pattern identifications in Korean Medicine for depression. Methods: The advisor committee for this study was organized by 15 Korean Medicine neuropsychiatry professors from 11 Colleges of Korean Medicine. The items and structure of the tools were based on reviews of published literature. In order to develop the tool, we took the consultation from discussions with the advisor committee twice and also incorporated additional advices from e-mail correspondences. Results: 1) We divided the symptoms and signs of depression into 11 pattern identifications. 2) We obtained the mean weights which reflected the standard deviations from each symptoms of the 11 pattern identifications which were scored on a 100-point scale by 15 experts. 3) We designed the Korean medicine pattern identification tool for depression. It was composed of 66 questions in the question- and-answer format. Conclusions: There are some points which should be considered in this study. First, we couldn't reach a complete agreement on the concept of 11 patterns. Second, each pattern identification has a different number of symptoms and signs. In addition, the items of symptoms and signs of each pattern identification are unequal. Third, as we did not set any clinical trials when using this tool, it was not possible to test its validity and reliability. Although there are some limits in this study, the development of pattern identification tools for depression through discussions with the advisor committee is meaningful. If the validity and reliability of the Korean Medicine pattern identification tools for depression are confirmed through clinical trial,s this tool is expected to be applied to the subsequent researches in the future.
Depression;Pattern identification tool;Symptoms and signs;Korean medicine
- Choi SM, Yang KS, Choi SH, Park KM, Park JH, Shim BS, et al. Standardization and Unification of the Terms and Conditions used for Diagnosis in Oriental Medicine (III). Seoul, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine; 1997;466-7.
- Zhu WF. TCM Diagnosis and Differential Diagnosis (中醫診斷與 鑑別診斷學). Beijing, People's Medical Publishing House; 1999;104-5.
- Wang XM. Traditional Chinese Medicine Syndrome Differentiation (中醫內科辨證學). Beijing, People's Medical Publishing House; 1984;428.
- Peng B. Chinese Internal Medicine (中醫內科學). Beijing, People's Medical Publishing House; 2000;88, 92.
- Jiao SD. Shude Traditional Chinese Medicine (樹德中醫內科). Beijing, People's Medical Publishing House; 2005;308-10.
- China Press of Traditional Chinese Medicine. Practical Bian Zheng Lun Zhi of TCM (實用中醫辨證論治學). Beijing, China Press of Traditional Chinese Medicine; 2006;298-9, 302-3.
- Hunan Kexuexiaoshu Chubanshe. Medical Symptoms Treatment (內科症狀辨治). Shanxi, Hunan Kexuexiaoshu Chubanshe; 2000;76-8.
- Feng XH, Gao RL. Traditional Chinese Medicine Clinical Manual (中醫內科臨床手冊). Beijing, People's Medical Publishing House; 1996;69, 72.
- Yao NL. Differential Diagnosis TCM Symptoms (中醫症狀鑑別診斷學). Beijing, People's Medical Publishing House; 1984;76-7, 587-8.
- Deng TT. Diagnostics of Chinese Medicine (中醫診斷學). Beijing, People's Medical Publishing House; 1987;587-8.
- Zhu WF, He QH. Clinical Diagnosis of Modern Chinese Medicine (現代中醫臨床診斷學). Beijing, People's Medical Publishing House; 2003;477-8.
- Rita L.A. Introduction to Psychology. Jeon-yeongsa; 1991;655-65.
- Greenberg PE, Kessler R, Birnbaum HG, Leong SA, Lowe SW, Berglund PA. The Economic Burden of Depression in the United States: How did it Change between 1990 and 2000. J Clin Psychiatry. 2003;64:1465-75. https://doi.org/10.4088/JCP.v64n1211
- Bae JY. A Experience of the Depression: A Phenomenological Approach. Journal of Korean Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing Academic Society. 2003;12(1):36-46.
- Wang YY. Clinical Chinese Internal Medicine (臨床中醫內科學). Beijing, People's Medical Publishing House; 1994;695.
- Deung CD. Practical Diagnostics of Chinese Medicine (實用中醫診斷學). Beijing, People's Medical Publishing House; 2004;386.
- Institute of Korean Medicine. Korean Medicine Dictionary. Seongbosa; 2004;229-30.
- Jung WY, Ahn KS. Clinical Pathology of Korean Medicine. Seoul: Younglimsa; 1998;46.
- Hwan WW, Kim JH. Dong Ui Jeong Sin Ui Hag. Seoul: Hyundai Uihag Seojeogsa; 1992;471-87, 576-82, 609-11.
- Americna Psychiatric Association. DSM-IV Diagnosis and Statistical Manual of Psychiatric Disorders. 4th ed. Washington DC.;1994;713-84.
- The Textbook Compliation Committee of Neuropshychiatry of Oriental Schools in Nation. The Neuropsychiatry of Oriental Medicine. Seoul: Jipmoon-Dang; 2007;256-65, 295, 472.
- Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs. The Epidemiological Survey of Mental Disorders in Korea. 2011. Available from:URL: http://www.mw.go.kr/front_new/jb/sjb030301vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=03&MENU_ID=031604&CONT_SEQ=274852&page=1.
- Statistics Korea. The Cause of Death Statistics. Statistics Korea; 2010.
- Medical Insurance Statistics of National Health Insurance Service. Available from:URL:http://www.nhis.or.kr/portal/site/main/MENU_WBDDG0203/.
- Lee SH, Kim BY, Kee JI, Kwen SJ, Chung DK. A Case of Mixed Anxiety and Depressive Disorder. Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2003;14(2);127-34.
- Kang HW, Jang HH, Kang IS, Moon HC, Hwang YJ, Lyu YS. A Study on The Oriental-medical Understanding of Depression. Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2011;12(2):1-15.
- The Textbook Compliation Committee of Oriental Pathology. Oriental Pathology. Seoul: Hanimunhwasa; 2008;172, 286, 288, 579.
- Park K. Jindanhaggwon-yeo. Daesung Publishing Company; 2000;491-2.
- Kim BK. Chinese Medicine Diagnostics. Seoul, Seongbosa; 1986; 25, 42.
- Kim KK, Kang CW. Weighted Principal Component Analysis of the Oriental Gynaecology Experiments. The Korean Journal of Applied Statistics. 1999;12(1):17-28.
- Song NK, Kim JK, Shin SH, Kim YH, Hwang GD, Ahn KS, et al. A Study for the Objective Diagnosis by Statistical Analysis to the Bian Zheng Questionnaire. Korean Journal of Oriental Medicine. 2005;11(1):127-38.
- Hwang JY, Jung IC, Lee SR. The Review for Studies of Aromatherapy, Relaxation Therapy and Exercise Therapy on Depression. Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2111;22(4):1-10.
- Lee JE, Kwon YJ, Cho SH. A Review of Clinical Studies with Herbal Medicine for Depression - Based on Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial -. Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2011;22(4):31-9. https://doi.org/10.7231/JON.2011.22.4.031
- Park SW, Song CH. The Study of Literature on Moxa Treatment of Melancholia. Korean Journal of Acupuncture. 2002;19(1):131-44.
- Kim YJ, Park DS, Lee YH. A Study on Depression with Acupuncture & Moxibustion Traetment in Chinese Medical Literature. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2005;22(1):223-34.
- Park HS, Seo WH, Moon IR, Kim JK, Bae KY, Heo YK. A Case of Patient who have Depressive Episode Mixed with Organic Depressive Disorder. Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2003;14(2):199-206.
- Shin HK, Kim JW, Kong HW, Kock KN, Kim HJ, Park CJ, et al. A Clinical Study on 2 Cases of Depression Patients with Autogenes Training. Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2006;17(3):165-74.
- Kang HS, Kim JY, Lee JH, Sung WY. Report of 2 Depression Patients Accompanying Somatic-symptom Treated with Meditation of the Retaining Needle. Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2008;19(2):241-50.
- Seok SH, Kim JH, Kim GW, Koo BS. A Case of Insomnia Incurable by Neuropsychiatric Medication Alone, but Made Possible with Sarn-Hwang-Sa-Sim-Tang. Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2006;17(3):117-29.
- Lee SJ, Lee SH, Kim BY, Hwang SM, Chung DK. A Case about the Patient who has Deteriorated by Symptoms being R/O because of Side Effects by Western Medicine after having Diagnosis of Melancholia. Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2002:13(2):213-23.
- Koo BS, Lee SJ, Han CH, Kim HJ, Park SH. The Basic Study for Building the Depression Prescription Guideline of Gamiguibi-Tang - The Evaluation of Reliability and Validity of the Depression Pattern-Identification Questionnaire -. Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2009;20(4):1-13.
- Kim TH, Lee YK, Lyu YS. The Clinical Study of Digital Infrared Thermographic Imaging on Depressed Patients. Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2000;11(2):87-102.
- Lee JA, Kim JW, Whang WW, Kwak SY, Kim MJ, Park EH. The Effects of Quibitang on an Animal Model of Depression Induced by Chronic Mild Stress. Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2001;12(1):123-35.
- Lee JH, Kim JW, Whang WW, Kim HT. The Effects of Koamsimsinwhan (without Cinnabarite) on Depression in Chronic Mild Stress (CMS)-treated Rats. Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2002;13(2):107-19.
- Je JT, Lee SK. The Clinical Pilot Study of Hwangryunhaedok-tang Pharmacopunctue Therapy on Post-stroke Depression. J of Pharmacupuncture. 2010;13(2):67-73. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2010.13.2.067
- Cha YJ, Kim JW, Whang WW, Kim HT, Kwak SY, Kim MJ. The Effect of Guibiondamtang in an Animal Model of Depression using Chronic Mild Stress. Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2001;12(2):53-68.
- Lee JH, Kim GW, Koo BS. Experimental Study on the Anti-depressive Effect of Bee Venom Injection. Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2010;21(2):61-73.
- Chang MK, KimGW, Koo BS. Anti-depressant Effect of the Extracts of Aconitum Carmichaeli. Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2009;20(3):49-64.
- Lee ST, Kim GW, Koo BS. Experimental Study on the Antidepressant Effect of Sam-Jeong-Hwan. Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2008;19(3):101-15.
- Seol SH, Lee SR, Jung IC. The Effects of OnDam-tang-Kami-bang (ODK) in Antioxidant and Serotonin Metabolism Testing on P815 Cell. Journal of Oriental Neuropsy- Chiatry. 2013;24(2):189-200. https://doi.org/10.7231/jon.2013.24.2.189
- Wang YY, Li DL. Today, Chinese Medicine (今日中醫內科). Beijing, People's Medical Publishing House; 2000;56.
- Zhang BY. Chinese Internal Medicine (中醫內科學). Beijing, People's Medical Publishing House; 1988;238-52.
- Wang YY. Practical Traditional Chinese Internal Medicine (實用中醫內科學). Shanghai, Shanghai Scientific & Technical Publishers; 1986;366, 432.
- Acupuncture Treatment of Depression in Epilepsy Children and Adolescent’s Parents vol.33, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14406/acu.2016.006
- A Study to Assess the Reliability and Improvement of the Instrument of Pattern Identification for Jing Ji and Zheng Chong vol.25, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7231/jon.2014.25.4.371
- Acupuncture Treatment of Depression in Cancer Patient’s Home Caregivers vol.33, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14406/acu.2016.014
- A Study on Neuropsychiatric Symptoms and Signs of Disease Pattern in Korean Medicine vol.27, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7231/jon.2016.27.4.249
- A Study on the Major Symptoms by Each Pattern of Acne Vulgaris vol.27, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.6114/jkood.2014.27.4.076
- Effect of Mixture extracted from Bupleuri Radix and Physalidis Herba on the LPS-induced depression in Rats. vol.30, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.6116/kjh.2015.30.3.69.
- Reliability and Validity Analysis of the Instrument on Pattern Identifications for Depression vol.26, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7231/jon.2015.26.4.407
- Preliminary Study to Develop the Instrument on Pattern Identifications for Insomnia vol.27, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7231/jon.2016.27.4.223