- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Performance Investigation of Insulated Shallow Extension Silicon On Nothing (ISE-SON) MOSFET for Low Volatge Digital Applications
- Kumari, Vandana (Semiconductor Device Research Laboratory, Department of Electronics Science, University of Delhi) ;
- Saxena, Manoj (Department of Electronics, Deen Dayal Upadhyaya College, University of Delhi) ;
- Gupta, R.S. (Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, Maharaja Agrasen Institute of Technology) ;
- Gupta, Mridula (Semiconductor Device Research Laboratory, Department of Electronics Science, University of Delhi)
- Received : 2012.12.13
- Accepted : 2013.08.11
- Published : 2013.12.31
The circuit level implementation of nanoscale Insulated Shallow Extension Silicon On Nothing (ISE-SON) MOSFET has been investigated and compared with the other conventional devices i.e. Insulated Shallow Extension (ISE) and Silicon On Nothing (SON) using the ATLAS 3D device simulator. It can be observed that ISE-SON based inverter shows better performance in terms of Voltage Transfer Characteristics, noise margin, switching current, inverter gain and propagation delay. The reliability issues of the various devices in terms of supply voltage, temperature and channel length variation has also been studied in the present work. Logic circuits (such as NAND and NOR gate) and ring oscillator are also implemented using different architectures to illustrate the capabilities of ISE-SON architecture for high speed logic circuits as compared to other devices. Results also illustrates that ISE-SON is much more temperature resistant than SON and ISE MOSFET. Hence, ISE-SON enables more aggressive device scaling for low-voltage applications.
- J. B. Kuo and S C. Lin, "Low voltage SOI CMOS VLSI devices and circuits," John Wiley & Sons. INC. 2001.
- S. Monfray et.al, "First 80nm SON (Silicon On Nothing) MOSFETs with perfect morphology and high electrical performance," Electron Devices Meeting, 2001. IEDM 2007. Digest of Technical Papers. IEEE International, pp. 29.7.1 - 29.7.4, 2001.
- M. Jurczak et.al. "Dielectric Pockets—A New Concept of the Junctions for Deca-Nanometric CMOS Devices," Electrons Devices, IEEE Transactions on. Vol. 48, pp. 1770-1774, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/16.936706
- V. Kumari, M. Saxena, R. S. Gupta, and M. Gupta, "Simulation Study of Insulated Shallow Extension Silicon On Nothing (ISESON) MOSFET for High Temperature Applications," Microelectronics Reliability, Vol. 52, no. 8, pp. 1610-1612, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microrel.2011.10.022
- V. Kumari, M. Saxena, R. S. Gupta, and M. Gupta, "Temperature dependent drain current model for Gate stack Insulated Shallow extension silicon On Nothing MOSFET for wide range of operating temperatures," Microelectronics Reliability, Vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 974-983, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microrel.2011.12.021
- R. Kaur, R. Chaujar, M. Saxena, and R. S. Gupta, "Hot-Carrier Reliability and Analog Performance Investigation of DMG-ISEGaS MOSFET," Electrons Devices, IEEE Transactions on. Vol. 54, no. 9, pp. 2556-2561, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TED.2007.902855
- V. Kumari, M. Saxena, R. S. Gupta, and M. Gupta, "Laterally Asymmetric Channel Insulated Shallow Extension Silicon On Nothing LAC-ISE-SON MOSFET for Improved Reliability and digital circuit Simulation," International conference on Devices, circuit and system (ICDCS-2012), pp. 282-292, 15-16 March, 2012.
- N H E. Weste, D. Harris and A. Banerjee, "CMOS VLSI design: A circuit and system perspective," Dorling Kindersley (India) Pvt. Ltd. 2006.
- ATLAS: 3-D Device Simulator, SILVACO International, Version 5.14.0.R, 2010.
- M. Jurczak et.al., „ Silicon On Nothing- an Innovative Process for Advanced CMOS," Electrons Devices, IEEE Transactions on. Vol. 47, pp. 2179- 2187, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/16.877181
- V. Kumari, M. Saxena, R. S. Gupta, and M. Gupta "Simulation Study of Gate Stacked Insulated Shallow Extension Silicon On Nothing ISE-SON MOSFET for RFICs design," Student's Technology Symposium, 2011, IEEE International, 14th -16th, Vol. 42, Jan. 2011; 42.
- A. Kranti, and G. A. Armstrong, "Nonclassical channel design in MOSFETs for improving OTA gain bandwidth trade-off," Circuits and Systems II, IEEE Transactions on.Vol. 57, no.12, pp. 3048- 3054, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2010.2071470
- J L. Rossello, and J. Segura, "An analytical charge based compact delay model for submicrometer CMOS inverters," Circuits and Systems I, IEEE Transactions on. Vol. 51, no. 7, pp. 1301-1311, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2004.830692
- S. Kaya, H. F. A. Hamed, J. A. Starzyk, "Low power tunable analog circuit blocks based on Nanoscale double gate MOSFETs," Circuits and Systems II, IEEE Transactions on. Vol. 54, No. 7, pp. 571-575, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSII.2007.895324
- S. Ghosh, K. J. Singh, S. Deb, and S. K. Sarkar, "Two Dimensional Analytical Modeling for SOI and SON MOSFET and their Performance Comparison," Journal of Nano- and Electronics Physics, Vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 569-575, 2011.
- C. H. Shih, Y. M. Chen, and C. Lien, "An insulated shallow extension structure for bulk MOSFET,". Electrons Devices, IEEE Transactions on. Vol. 50, no. 11, pp. 2294-2297, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TED.2003.818284
- J. R. Hauser, "Noise margin criteria for digital logic circuits," Education, IEEE Transactions on. Vol 36, no. 4, pp. 363-368, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1109/13.241612
- K. D. Buddharaju et. al., "Si-nanowire CMOS inverter logic fabricated using gate-all-around (GAA) devices and top-down approach," Solid State Electronics, Vol. 52, no.9, pp. 1312-1317, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sse.2008.04.017
- I. Y. Chung, Y. J. Park, and H. S. Min, "A New SOI Inverter Using Dynamic Threshold for Low- Power Applications," Electron. Device Letters, IEEE, Vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 248-250, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/55.585343