- Volume 12 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Predictions of curvature ductility factor of doubly reinforced concrete beams with high strength materials
- Lee, Hyung-Joon (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Hanbat National University)
- Received : 2012.10.07
- Accepted : 2013.08.31
- Published : 2013.12.25
The high strength materials have been more widely used in reinforced concrete structures because of the benefits of the mechanical and durable properties. Generally, it is known that the ductility decreases with an increase in the strength of the materials. In the design of a reinforced concrete beam, both the flexural strength and ductility need to be considered. Especially, when a reinforced concrete structure may be subjected an earthquake, the members need to have a sufficient ductility. So, each design code has specified to provide a consistent level of minimum flexural ductility in seismic design of concrete structures. Therefore, it is necessary to assess accurately the ductility of the beam sections with high strength materials in order to ensure the ductility requirement in design. In this study, the effects of concrete strength, yield strength of reinforcement steel and amount of reinforcement including compression reinforcement on the complete moment-curvature behavior and the curvature ductility factor of doubly reinforcement concrete beam sections have been evaluated and a newly prediction formula for curvature ductility factor of doubly RC beam sections has been developed considering the stress of compression reinforcement at ultimate state. Based on the numerical analysis results, the proposed predictions for the curvature ductility factor are verified by comparisons with other prediction formulas. The proposed formula offers fairly accurate and consistent predictions for curvature ductility factor of doubly reinforced concrete beam sections.
- ACI (American Concrete Institute) (2008), ACI 318-08: Building code requirements for structural concrete, ACI, Farmington Hills, MI, USA.
- Arslan, G. and Cihanli, E. (2010), "Curvature ductility prediction of reinforced high-strength concrete beam sections", J.Civil Eng. Manag., 16(4), 462-470. https://doi.org/10.3846/jcem.2010.52
- Ashour, S.A. (2000), "Effect of compressive strength and tensile reinforcement ratio on flexural behavior of high-strength concrete beams", Eng. Struct.,22(5), 413-423. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(98)00135-7
- Attard, M.M. and Setunge, S. (1996), "The stress-strain relationship of confined and unconfined concrete", ACI Mater. J., 93(5), 432-444.
- Au, F.T.K., Chan, K.H.E., Kwan, A.K.H. and Du, J.S. (2009), "Flexural ductility of prestressed concrete beams with unbonded tendons", Comput. Concr., 6(6), 451-472. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2009.6.6.451
- Au, F.T.K., Leung, C.C.Y. andKwan, A.K.H. (2011), "Flexural ductility and deformability of reinforced and prestressed concrete sections", Comput. Concr.,8(4), 473-489. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2011.8.4.473
- Bai, Z.Z. and Au, F.T.K. (2011), "Flexural ductility design of high-strength concrete beams", The Structural Design of Tall Special Buildings, 22(6), 521-542.
- BSI (British Standards Institution) (1997), BS8110: Structural Use of Concrete, BSI, London, UK.
- CEN (European Committee for Standardization) (2004), EN 1992-1-1:2004: Eurocode 2: Design of Concrete Structures, Part 1-1: General Rules and Rules for Buildings, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels, Belgium.
- Ho, J.C.M., Kwan, A.K.H. and Pam, H.J. (2003), "Theoretical analysis of post-peak behavior of normal and high strength concrete beams", The Structural Design of Tall Special Buildings, 12(2), 109-125. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.216
- Ho, J.C.M., Kwan, A.K.H. and Pam, H.J. (2004), "Minimum flexural ductility design of high strength concrete beams", Mag. Concrete Res., 56(1), 13-22. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.2004.56.1.13
- Jang, I.Y., Park, H.G., Kim, S.S., Kim, J.H. and Kim.Y.G. (2008), "On the ductility of high-strength concrete beams", Int. J. Concrete Struct. Mater., 2(2), 115-122. https://doi.org/10.4334/IJCSM.2008.2.2.115
- Korea Concrete Institute (2007), Design standard for concrete structures and commentary, Korea Concrete Institute, Seoul, Rep. of Korea.
- Kwan, A.K.H., Chau,S.L. and Au,F.T.K. (2006), "Design of high-strength concrete beams subjected to small axial loads", Mag. Concrete Res., 58(6),333-341. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.2006.58.6.333
- Kwan, A.K.H., Ho, J.C.M. and Pam, H.J. (2002), "Flexural strength and ductility of reinforced concrete beams", Proceedings of the ICE-Structures and Buildings, 152(4), November, 361-369. https://doi.org/10.1680/stbu.2002.152.4.361
- Lam, J.Y.K., Ho, J.C.M. and Kwan, A.K.H. (2009a), "Maximum axial load level and minimum confinement for limited ductility design of concrete columns", Comput. Concr., 6(5), 357-376. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2009.6.5.357
- Lam, J.Y.K,Ho, J.C.M. and Kwan, A.K.H. (2009b), "Flexural ductility of high-strength concrete columns with minimal confinement", Mater. Struct., 42(7), 909-921. https://doi.org/10.1617/s11527-008-9431-5
- Maghsoudi, A.A. and Sharifi, Y. (2009),"Ductility of highstrength concrete heavily steel reinforced members", Transaction A: Civil Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 16(4),297-307.
- Mendis, P. (2003), "Design of high-strength concrete members: state-of-the-art", Progress in Structural Engineering and Materials, 5(1),1-15. https://doi.org/10.1002/pse.138
- Pam, H.J., Kwan, A.K.H. and Islam, M.S. (2001a), "Flexural strength and ductility of reinforced normal-and high- strength concrete beams", Proceedings of the ICE-Structures and Buildings, 146(4),November, pp.381-389. https://doi.org/10.1680/stbu.2001.146.4.381
- Pam, H.J., Kwan, A.K.H. and Islam, M.S. (2001b), "Post-peak behavior and flexural ductility of doubly reinforced high- strength concrete beams", Struct. Eng. Mech., 12(5), 459-474. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2001.12.5.459
- Park, R. and Paulay, T. (1975), Reinforced Concrete Structures, Wiely, New York, USA.
- Pendyala, R., Mendis, P. and Patnaikuni, I. (1996), "Full-range behavior of high-strength concrete members: comparison of ductility parameters of high and normal-strength concrete members", ACI Struct. J., 93(1), 30-35.
- Rashid, M.A. and Mansur, M.A. (2005), "Reinforced high-strength concrete beams in flexure", ACI Struct. J.,102(3), 462-471.
- Effect of relative stiffness on moment redistribution in reinforced high-strength concrete beams vol.69, pp.14, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1680/jmacr.15.00499
- Prediction of curvature ductility factor for FRP strengthened RHSC beams using ANFIS and regression models vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2015.16.3.399
- Flexural ductility of reinforced and prestressed concrete sections with corrugated steel webs vol.16, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2015.16.4.625
- Post-yield deformation parameters of reinforced concrete beam with corroded reinforcement pp.14644177, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/suco.201800037