- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effect on Social Game Use on the Degree of Social Capital - Based on Construal Level Theory -
소셜게임 이용시간이 사회자본에 미치는 영향에 대한 연구 - 해석수준 이론을 중심으로 -
- Lee, Dae Young (Konkuk University) ;
- Ryu, Seoung Ho (Kangwon National University) ;
- Jeong, Eui Jun (Konkuk University)
- Received : 2013.09.18
- Accepted : 2013.11.14
- Published : 2013.12.20
There are a number of studies about the impact of social games' social network. But because of conflicting results, the game's effect isn't ascertained. In this study, we defined that using social games makes increase the social capital with construal level theory. The survey results on construal level, social capital, game using time, etc, are used for the analysis of the correlation and interact. As a result, growing bridging social capital shows on the people who use high level of construal and more social game time use. This phenomenon did not appear in other online games, so that makes a social games' feature unique characteristic. And we discovered that high level construals is key point for defining the practical use of media.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- Kim, T. K., Yoo, S. H., Kyoung, B. P., and Lee, D. Y., "Social Network Games (SNG) to Concentrate on the Analysis of Causes," The Journal of Digital Policy and Management, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 445-453, 2012.
- Lee, Ji Ae, "Analysis of SNG(Social Network Game) users' flow experience depending on individual characteristic and social influence factors", The University of Joongang , 2012.
- Ko, Doo Hee, "(A) study on smart phone user's motivation and flow of mobile social network game", The University of Sungkyunkwan, 2011.
- Su Yeon Jeong, Hyung Won Jung, Baik Soon Seong, "A Study on Commitment Factors of Social Network Game", Journal of Korea Game Society, Vol.24 No.3, pp.156-164, 2011.
- Kim, Mi-Jin ; Kim, Yeong-Sil, "An Analysis of Player's Behavior Attributes on Social Network Game focused on the Genre of Management Simulation," Journal of Korea Game Society, Volume 12, Issue 3, pp.3-10, 2012.
- Gyongran Jeon, "A Study on the Structure and Characteristics of Social Games", Journal of Korea Game Society, Vol.11 No.6, pp13-22, 2011.
- Shin, D. H. and Shin, Y. J., "Why do people play social network games?," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 27, pp. 852-861, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2010.11.010
- Liberman, Nira, and Yaakov Trope, "The Role of Feasibility and Desirability Considerations in Near and Distant Future Decisions: A Test of Temporal Construal Theory," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 75 (1), 5-18, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.124
- Trope, Y., & Liberman, N., "Temporal Construal, Psychological Review," 110(3), 403-421, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.110.3.403
- Trope, Yaakov, and Nira Liberman, "Construal Level Theory and Psychological Distance," Psychological Review, 117 (2), pp440-63, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0018963
- Kuo-Hsiang Chen, Kai-Shuan Shen, Min-Yuan Ma, (2012) "The functional and usable appeal of Facebook SNS games", Internet Research, Vol. 22 Iss: 4, pp.467 - 481. https://doi.org/10.1108/10662241211250999
- Curran Kevin, Roisin Lautman. "The Rise of Gaming on Social Networks". International Journal of Social Networking and Virtual Communities 1, No. 1, 2012.
- Aki Jarvinen, "Game Design for Social Networks: Interaction Design for Playful Dispositions", Proceedings of the 2009 ACM SIGGRAPH Symposium, 2009.
- Lazzaro, N., "Why We Play Games: Four Keys to More Emotion in Player Experiences", proceedings of the Game Develpers Conference, 2005.
- Kim, H. C., Huh, S., and Choi, J. H., "Factors Affecting the Continuous Use Intention of Smartphone Social Network Games : With a Focus on the Value Model," Journal of Korea Game Society, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 11-23, 2012. https://doi.org/10.7583/JKGS.2012.12.3.11
- Wohn, Y.D. et al, "The "S" in Social Network Games: Initiating, Maintaining, and Enhancing Relationship"s, The 44th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, pp1-10, 2011.
- Lin, Nan., "Social Capital: A Theory of Social Structure and Action," Cambrudge Univer, 2001.
- Coleman, J.S., "Social Capital in the Creation of Human Capital", American Journal of Sociology, 94, p. S95-S120, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1086/228943
- Putnam, R.D., "Bowling alone: The collapse and revival of American community, Simon and Schuster," New York, USA, 2000.
- Warren, M. R., Thompson, J. P. & Saegert, S., "The role of social capital in combating poverty, social capital and poor communities", Russell Sage Foundation, New York, 2001.
- Helliwell, J.F. and Putnam, R.D, "The Social Context of Well-Being", The Royal Society, Vol. 359, pp1435-1446, 2004.
- Hyun-Ah Park, Hyoung-Il Kim, Seoung-Ho Ryu, "An Exploratory Study on the Social Capital and Subjective Well-Being in Social Network Games", Journal of Korea Game Society, v.11 no.4, pp.105-116, 2011.
- Changwoo Suh, Byungho Park, "Do Social Games Help Us Get Socialized?: Findings that are against common belief", Proceeding of 2012 Conference on the HCI Society of Korea, pp986-990, 2012.
- Ye-Beet Jang, Hye-Rim Lee, Min-Kyu Kim, Eui-Jun Jeong, Seoung-Ho Ryu, "The Effects of Self-control and Construal Level on Game Addiction", pp 131-142, 2013.
- Eui-Jun Jeong, Hye-Yeong Gim, Seoung-Ho Ryu, "A Theoretical Approach to Consumer Attitude and Behavior: Based on Construal-Level Theory" Society and Theory 21-1, pp377-410, 2012. https://doi.org/10.17209/st.2012.11.21.377
- Williams, D. "On and Off the Net: Scales for Social Capital in an Online Era," Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication (11:2), pp 593-628, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1083-6101.2006.00029.x
- Vallacher, R. R., & Wegner, D. M., Levels of personal agency: Individual variation in action identification. Journal of Personality & Social Psychology, 57(4), 660-671. 1989. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1990
- Choi, Hun-Seok, Kim, Gyo-Hyun, Yong, Jeong-Sun, Park, Hye-Li, Choi, Hye-Man, Kim, Hyo-Eoun, Cognitive and behavioral diagnostic model studies on the use of games, KOCCA Research report, 2009.
- Xiaoli Nan, "Social Distance, Framing, and Judgment: A Construal Level Perspective," HUMAN COMMUNICATION RESEARCH; VOL 33, NUMBER 4; 489-514 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2958.2007.00309.x
- YunJin Lee, YeBeet Jang, SeoungHo Ryu, "The Effects of Temporal Distance and Social Distance on eWOM Credibility", HCI KOREA 2013, p540-544, 2013.
- A Preliminary Study of Serious Game Effect Model based on Construal-Level Theory vol.14, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7583/JKGS.2014.14.4.105