- Volume 23 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Squeak Noise of Ceramic-on-ceramic Hip Joint using FEM
FEM을 이용한 세라믹-세라믹 고관절 마찰소음의 불안정성 해석에 관한 연구
- Received : 2013.10.22
- Accepted : 2013.12.02
- Published : 2013.12.20
This paper describes the FEM analysis for squeak problem of the ceramic-on-ceramic hip joint system. The onset of hip squeak is estimated by the positive real parts of the eigenvalues in the hip joint system. From the complex eigenvalue analysis, the unstable frequencies and the corresponding mode shapes are determined at the certain severe friction coefficients. It is found that some bending and torsion modes of the femoral stem can be unstable due to the mode-coupling mechanism. It also shows that the magnitude of the friction coefficient plays a key role on the occurrence of hip squeak.
Friction Noise;Hip Joint;Hip Squeak
- Higuchi, F., Shiba, N., Inoue, A. and Wakebe, I., 1995, Fracture of an Alumina Ceramic Head in Total Hip Arthroplasty, Journal of Arthoplasty, Vol. 10, No. 6, pp. 854-854.
- Han, S., Chu, J., Song, K., Park, S., Choi, J., Kim, J., Suh, J., Choi, K. and Youn, I., 2012, Prediction of Stress Distribution in the Ceramic Femoral Head After Total Hip Replacement, Journal of the Korean Society for Precision Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 29, pp. 680-685. https://doi.org/10.7736/KSPE.2012.29.6.680
- Kim, D., Ki, S., Park, K., Kim, Y. and Chung, Y., 2008, Total Hip Arthroplasty Using a Ceramic on Ceramic Bearing Surfaces, Journal of Korean Orthopaedic Association, Vol. 43, No. 4, pp. 495-500. https://doi.org/10.4055/jkoa.2008.43.4.495
- Fan, N. and Chen, G., 2012, Numerical Study of Squeaking Suppresses for Ceramic-on-ceramic Hip Endoprosthesis, Tribology International, Vol. 48, pp. 172-181. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.triboint.2011.11.023
- Weiss, C., Gdaniec, P., Hoffman, N., Hothan, A., Huber, G. and Morlock, M., 2010, Squeak in Hip Endoprosthesis Systems: An Experimentalstudy and a Numerical Technique to Analyze Design Variants, Medical Engineering & Physics, Vol. 32, No. 6, pp. 604-609. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.medengphy.2010.02.006
- Sariali, E., Stewart, T., Jin, Z. and Fisher, J., 2009, In vitro Investigation of Friction under Edge Loading Conditions for Ceramic-on-ceramic total Hip Prosthesis, Journal of Orthopaedic Research, Vol. 28, No. 8, pp. 979-985.
- Currier, J., Anderson, D. and Van Citters, D., 2010, A Proposed Mechanism for Squeaking of Ceramic-on-ceramic Hips, Wear, Vol. 28, No. 8, pp. 979-985.
- Meziane, A., Baillet, L. and Laulagnet, B., 2010, Experimental and Numerical Investigation of Friction-induced Vibration of a Beam-on-beam in Contact with Friction, Applied Acoustics, Vol. 71, No. 9, pp. 843-853. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apacoust.2010.04.012
- Ghazaly, N., Mohammed, S. and Abd-El-Tawwab, A., 2012, Understanding Mode-coupling Mechanism of Brake Squeal Using Finite Element Analysis, International Journal of Engineering Research and Application, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 241-250.
- Pyburn, E. and Goswami, T., 2003, Finite Element Analysis of Femoral Components Paper III Hip Joints, Materials & Design, Vol. 25, No. 8, pp. 705-713.
- Kang, J., 2012, Finite Element Modeling for the Investigation of In-plane Modes and Damping Shims in Disc Squeal, Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 331, No. 9, pp. 2190-2202. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2011.12.033
- Kang, J., 2009, Squeal Analysis of Gyroscopic Disc Brake System based on Finite Element Method, International Journal of Mechanical Science, Vol. 51, No. 4, pp. 284-294. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2009.02.003
- Nam, J. and Kang, J., 2012, Unstable Brake Pad Mode due to Friction-velocity Slope, Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. 22, No. 12, pp. 1206-1212. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVE.2012.22.12.1206
- Investigation of Hip Squeak Using Finite Element Modeling with a Friction Curve vol.40, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2016.40.1.033