- Volume 5 Issue 6
Near field ground motions have caused several structural damages in recent decades. As a result, seismic codes are being updated with related requirements. In this paper a comparative study on the seismic behavior of concentrically braced frames (CBFs) designed based on different seismic codes is performed. Reliability of various frames with different heights and bracing types are analyzed based on the results of "Incremental Dynamic Analysis" (IDA) under near field ground motions. Fragility curves corresponding to IO (Immediate Occupancy) and CP (Collapse Prevention) limit states are extracted based on IDA curves. Results imply that, frames designed based on the near field seismic design criteria of UBC-97 are more reliable under near field ground motions and their failure probability is less comparing to others.
incremental dynamic analysis;reliability;limit states;fragility
- AISC-ASD89 (1989), Manual of steel construction, Allowable stress design, Chicago.
- AISC (2005), Seismic provision for structural steel building, Chicago.
- Asgarian, B. and Jalaeefar, A. (2011), Incremental dynamic analysis of steel braced frames designed based on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Editions of the Iranian Seismic Code (Standard No. 2800), Struct. Des. Tall Sp. 20, 190-207.
- Asgarian, B., Khazaee, H. and Mirtaheri, M. (2012), "Performance evaluation of different types of steel moment resisting frames subjected to strong ground motion through incremental dynamic analysis", Int. J. Steel Struct., 12(3), 363-379. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-012-3006-6
- Billah, A., Alam, M. and Bhuiyan, M. (2012), "Fragility analysis of retrofitted multi-column bridge bent subjected to near fault and far field ground motion", J. Bridge Eng., 18(10), 992-1004, doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000452. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000452
- Chao, S.H., Bayat, M.R. and Goel, C. (2008), "Performance-based plastic design of steel concentric braced frames for enhanced confidence level", Proceedings, 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Beijing, China.
- Cornell, C.A., Vamvatsicos, D. and Jalayer, F. (2000), "Seismic reliability of steel frames", Stanford University.
- El-Arab, I.M.E. (2012), "Analytical methodology of seismic fragility curve for reinforcement of concrete pier bridges in Egypt", Int. J. Eng. Adv. Technol.(IJEAT), 2(2).
- FEMA-356 (2001), Seismic design criteria for new moment resisting steel frame construction, Federal Emergency Management Agency Report No. 356.
- FEMA-273 (1997), Seismic design criteria for new moment resisting steel frame construction, Federal Emergency Management Agency Report No. 273.
- Haeri Kermani, A. and Fadaee, M. (2013), "Assessment of seismic reliability of RC framed buildings using a vector-valued intensity measure", Asian J. Civil Eng., 14(1), 17-32.
- http://iranhazard.mporg.ir, Islamic Republic of Iran, President deputy strategic planning and control, Bureau of Technical Execution System.
- Jalayer, F. and Cornell, C.A. (2004), "A technical frame work for probability - based demand and capacity factor (DCFD) seismic formats", Report No. RMS program, Stanford University, Stanford.
- Luco, N. (2002), "Probabilistic seismic demand analysis, SMRF connection fractures and near source effects", Ph.D. dissertation.
- Mazzoni, S. (1999), Open system for earthquake engineering simulation, V1.73, University of California, Berkeley, CA.
- Rehan, A., Khan, T. and Naqvi, A.A. (2011), "Seismic reliability analysis of RCC building frames", Int. J. Earth Sci. Eng., 4(06 SPL), 530-533.
- Shome, N. and Cornell, C.A. (1999), "Probabilistic seismic demand analysis of nonlinear structures", Report No. RMS-35, RMS Program, Stanford University.
- Standard No. 2800 (1986), Iranian code of practice for seismic resistant design of buildings, 1st edition, Tehran.
- Standard No. 2800 (1998), Iranian code of practice for seismic resistant design of buildings, 2nd edition, Tehran.
- Standard No. 2800 (2004), Iranian code of practice for seismic resistant design of buildings, 3rd edition, Tehran.
- UBC-97 (1997), Uniform building code, California.
- Vamvatsikos, D. (2002), "Seismic performance, capacity and reliability of structures as seen through incremental dynamic analysis", Ph.D. dissertation, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Stanford University, California.