- Volume 5 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Shake table responses of an RC low-rise building model strengthened with buckling restrained braces at ground story
- Lee, Han Seon (School of Civil, Environmental, and Architectural Engineering, Korea University) ;
- Lee, Kyung Bo (School of Civil, Environmental, and Architectural Engineering, Korea University) ;
- Hwang, Kyung Ran (School of Civil, Environmental, and Architectural Engineering, Korea University) ;
- Cho, Chang Seok (WISE Structural Engineering Co. Ltd.)
- Received : 2013.01.08
- Accepted : 2013.10.26
- Published : 2013.12.20
In order to verify the applicability of buckling restrained braces (BRB's) and fiber reinforced polymer (FRP) sheets to the seismic strengthening of a low-rise RC building having the irregularities of a soft/weak story and torsion at the ground story, a series of earthquake simulation tests were conducted on a 1:5 scale RC building model before, and after, the strengthening, and these test results are compared and analyzed, to check the effectiveness of the strengthening. Based on the investigations, the following conclusions are made: (1) The BRB's revealed significant slips at the joint with the existing RC beam, up-lifts of columns from RC foundations and displacements due to the flexibility of foundations, and final failure due to the buckling and fracture of base joint angles. The lateral stiffness appeared to be, thereby, as low as one seventh of the intended value, which led to a large yield displacement and, therefore, the BRB's could not dissipate seismic input energy as desired within the range of anticipated displacements. (2) Although the strengthened model did not behave as desired, great enhancement in earthquake resistance was achieved through an approximate 50% increase in the lateral resistance of the wall, due to the axial constraint by the peripheral BRB frames. Finally, (3) whereas in the original model, base torsion was resisted by both the inner core walls and the peripheral frames, the strengthened model resisted most of the base torsion with the peripheral frames, after yielding of the inner core walls, and represented dual values of torsion stiffness, depending on the yielding of core walls.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- ACI Committee 318 (2005), Building code requirements for structural concrete and commentary (ACI 318-05), American Concrete Institute, Detroit.
- Architectural Institute of Korea (2005), Korean building code (KBC2005), Seoul, Korea. (in Korean)
- Chen, C.C. (2002), "Recent advances of seismic design of steel buildings In Taiwan, International Training Programs for Seismic Design of Building Structures", National Center for Research on Earthquake Engineering, Republic of China, 105-123.
- Chou, C.C. and Chen, P.J. (2009), "Compressive behavior of central gusset plate connections for a buckling-restrained brace frame", J. Constr. Steel Res., 65(5), 1138-1148. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2008.11.004
- Chou, C.C. and Liu, J.H. (2012), "Frame and brace action forces on steel corner gusset plate connections in buckling-restrained braced frames", Earthq. Spectra, 28(2), 531-551. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.4000007
- Chou, C.C., Liu, J.H. and Pham, D.H. (2012), "Steel buckling-restrained braced frames with single and dual corner gusset connections: seismic tests and analyses", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 41(7), 1137-1156. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1176
- De Witte, F.C. and Kikstra, W.P. (2005), DIANA -Finite element analysis, TNO DIANA BV.
- Fukuta, T., Kabeyasawa, T., Kuramoto, H. and Sanada, Y. (2001), "Shaking table tests and design analysis of a wall frame structure with soft first story", 4th international symposium on earthquake engineering for the moderate seismicity regions, Seoul, Korea, 94-112.
- International Code Council (2000), International building code, Falls church, VA.
- Erochko, J., Christopoulos, C., Tremblay, R. and Choi, H. (2011) "Residual drift response of SMRFs and BRB frames in steel buildings designed according to ASCE 7-05", J. Struct. Eng., 137(5), 589-599. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000296
- Khampanit, A., Chatree, N., Surasak, N., Sutat, L. and Pennung, W. (2011), "Cyclic testing of a non-ductile reinforced concrete frame strengthened with buckling restrained brace", The 2011 World Congress on Advances in Structural Engineering and Mechanics, Seoul, Korea, 1900-1909.
- Lee, H.S., Jung, D.W., Lee, K.B., Kim, H.C. and Lee, K. (2011a), "Shake-table responses of a low-rise RC building model having irregularities at first story", Struct. Eng.Mech., 40(4), 517-539. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2011.40.4.517
- Lee, H.S., Lee, K.B., Hwang, S.J. and Cho, C.S. (2011b), "Reversed lateral load tests on RC frames retrofitted with BRB and FRP", J. Korea Concrete Inst., 23(5), 683-692. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2011.23.5.683
- Priestley, M.J.N. and Seible, F. (1995), "Design of seismic retrofit measures for concrete and masonry structures", Constr. Build.Mater., 9(6), 365-377. https://doi.org/10.1016/0950-0618(95)00049-6
- Sheikh, S.A. and Li, Y. (2007), "Design of FRP confinement for square concrete column", Eng. Struct., 29(6), 1074-1083. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.07.016
- Teng, J.G., Chen, J.F., Smith, S.T. and Lam, L. (2002), FRP-strengthened RC Structures, John Wiley & Sons, LTD.
- Teran-Gilmore., A. and Vitro-Cambray, N. (2009), "Preliminary design of low-rise buildings stiffened with buckling-restrained brace by a displacement-based approach, Earthquake Spectra", Earthq. Eng. Res. Inst., 25(1), 185-211.
- Tremblay, R., Degrange, G. and Blouin, J. (1999), "Seismic rehabilitation of a four-storey building with a stiffened bracing system", Proc. 8th Canadian Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, B.C., 549-554.
- Zhao, B., Taucer, F. and Rossetto, T. (2009), "Field investigation on the performance of building structures during the 12 May 2008 Wenchuan earthquake in China", Eng. Struct., 31(8), 1707-1723. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.02.039
- Torsion design implications from shake-table responses of an RC low-rise building model having irregularities at the ground story vol.44, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2492
- Structural behavior of conventional and buckling restrained braced frames subjected to near-field ground motions vol.7, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.4.553
- Seismic Damage to RC Low-rise Building Structures Having Irregularities at the Ground Story During the 15 November 2017 Pohang, Korea, Earthquake vol.22, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2018.22.3.103