- Volume 5 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Plastic hinge length of RC columns considering soil-structure interaction
- Mortezaei, Alireza (Department of Civil Engineering, Semnan Branch, Islamic Azad University)
- Received : 2013.02.13
- Accepted : 2013.08.26
- Published : 2013.12.20
During an earthquake, soils filter and send out the shaking to the building and simultaneously it has the role of bearing the building vibrations and transmitting them back to the ground. In other words, the ground and the building interact with each other. Hence, soil-structure interaction (SSI) is a key parameter that affects the performance of buildings during the earthquakes and is worth to be taken into consideration. Columns are one of the most crucial elements in RC buildings that play an important role in stability of the building and must be able to dissipate energy under seismic loads. Recent earthquakes showed that formation of plastic hinges in columns is still possible as a result of strong ground motion, despite the application of strong column-weak beam concept, as recommended by various design codes. Energy is dissipated through the plastic deformation of specific zones at the end of a member without affecting the rest of the structure. The formation of a plastic hinge in an RC column in regions that experience inelastic actions depends on the column details as well as soil-structure interaction (SSI). In this paper, 854 different scenarios have been analyzed by inelastic time-history analyses to predict the nonlinear behavior of RC columns considering soil-structure interaction (SSI). The effects of axial load, height over depth ratio, main period of soil and structure as well as different characteristics of earthquakes, are evaluated analytically by finite element methods and the results are compared with corresponding experimental data. Findings from this study provide a simple expression to estimate plastic hinge length of RC columns including soil-structure interaction.
- American Concrete Institute (2008), Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete (ACI 318-08) and Commentary (ACI 318R-08), Farmington Hills, MI. 699
- Bae, S. and Bayrak, O. (2008), "Plastic hinge length of reinforced concrete columns", ACI Struct. J., 105(3), 290-300.
- Baker, A.L.L. (1956), Ultimate load theory applied to the design of reinforced and prestressed concrete frames, Concrete Publications Ltd., London, UK, 91.
- Baker, A.L.L. and Amarakone, A.M.N. (1964), "Inelastic hyper-static frame analysis", Flexural Mechanics of Reinforced Concrete, SP-12, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI, 85-142.
- Bielak, J. (1978), "Dynamic response of non-linear building-foundation systems", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 6, 17-30. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290060104
- Boore, D. (2001), "Effect of baseline correction on displacements and response spectra for several recordings of the 1999 Chi-Chi, Taiwan, earthquake", B. Seismol. Soc. Am., 91(5), 1199-1211.
- Boore, D., Stephens, C.D. and Joyner, W.B. (2002), "Comments on baseline correction of digital strong motion data: Examples from the 1999 Hector Mine California earthquake", B. Seismol. Soc. Am., 92(4), 1543-1560. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120000926
- Clemen, R.T. (1996), Making hard decisions: an introduction to decision analysis, 2nd ed. Belmont, CA, Duxbury, 688.
- Code of Practice for Structural Use of Concrete (2004), Second edition, Buildings Department, The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, Kowloon Hong Kong.
- Corley, W.G. (1966), "Rotational capacity of reinforced concrete beams", J. Struct. Div.- ASCE, 92(ST5), 121-146.
- CSA Committee A23.3-04 (2004), Design of concrete structures: structures (design) - a national standard of Canada, Canadian Standards Association, Rexdale, Canada, 240.
- Eser, M. and Aydemir, C. (2011), "The effect of soil-structure interaction on inelastic displacement ratio of structures", Struct. Eng. Mech., 39(5), 683-702. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2011.39.5.683
- Gazetas, G. and Mylonakis, G. (1998), "Seismic soil-structure interaction: new evidence and emerging issues", Geotechnical Special Publication No. 75, ASCE, Reston, Va., 1119-1174.
- Ganjavi, B. and Hao, H. (2011), "Elastic and inelastic response of single- and multi-degree-of-freedom systems considering soil structure interaction effects", Australian Earthquake Engineering Society Conference, Australia, NA, pp. NA.
- Ghosh, S. and Wilson, E.L. (1969), "Dynamic stress analysis of axi-symmetric structures under arbitrary loading", Report no. EERC 69-10, University of California, Berkeley.
- Indian Standard for Plain and Reinforced Concrete Code of Practice (2000), Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi-110002.
- Iranian Code of Practice for Seismic Resistant Design of Buildings (3rd Edition), Standard No. 2800-05, Building and Housing Research Center of Iran (BHRC).
- Iranian Code of Practice for Seismic Resistant Design of Buildings (2005), Chapter 9, Building and Housing Research Centre, Tehran, Iran.
- Iwan, W.D., Moser, M.A. and Peng, C.Y. (1985), "Some observations on strong-motion earthquake measurements using a digital accelerograph", B. Seismol. Soc. Am., 75, 1225-1246.
- Iwan, W.D. and Chen, X.D. (1994), "Important near-field ground motion data from the landers earthquake", Proceedings of the 10th European Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vienna, Austria.
- Kheyroddin, A. and Mortezaei, A. (2008), "The effect of element size and plastic hinge characteristics on nonlinear analysis of RC frames", Iranian J. Sci. Technol. B, 32(B5), 451-470.
- Mattock, A.H. (1964), "Rotational capacity of hinging regions in reinforced concrete beams", Flexural Mechanics of Reinforced Concrete, SP-12, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI, 143-181.
- Mortezaei, A. and Ronagh, H.R.( 2013), "Plastic hinge length of reinforced concrete columns subjected to both far-fault and near-fault ground motions having forward directivity", Struct. Des.Tall Spec., 22(12), 903-926. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.729
- Nakhaei, M. and Ghannad, M.A. (2008), "The effect of soil-structure interaction on damage index of buildings", Eng. Struct., 1491-1499.
- Park, R. and Paulay, T. (1975), Reinforced concrete structures, New York, John Wiley & Sons Inc, 769.
- Park, R., Priestley, M.J.N. and Gill, W.D. (1982), "Ductility of square-confined concrete columns", J. Struct. Div.- ASCE, 108(ST4), 929-950.
- Paulay, T. and Priestley, M.J.N. (1992), Seismic design of reinforced concrete and masonry buildings, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 767.
- Riva, P. and Cohn, M.Z. (1990), "Engineering approach to nonlinear analysis of concrete structures", J. Struct. Div. - ASCE, 116, 2162-2186. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1990)116:8(2162)
- Sawyer, H.A. (1964), "Design of concrete frames for two failure stages", Proceedings of international symposium on the flexural mechanics of reinforced concrete, Miami, ACI SP-12,405-431.
- Spencer Jr., B.F., Elnashai, A., Kuchma, D., Kim, S., Holub, C. and Nakata, N. (2006), Multi-Site Soil-Structure-Foundation Interaction Test (MISST), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Tabatabaiefar, S.H.R., Fatahi, B. and Samali, B. (2013), "Lateral seismic response of building frames considering dynamic soil-structure interaction effects", Struct. Eng. Mech., 45(3), 311-321. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2013.45.3.311
- The Building Standard Law of Japan, on CD-ROM (2011), Building Guidance Division, Housing Bureau, Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, Japan, 237.
- Vecchio, F.J. (2000), "Disturbed stress field model for reinforced concrete: formulation", J. Struct. Eng.- ASCE, 126(9), 1070-1077. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2000)126:9(1070)
- Veletsos, A.S. and Newmark, N.M. (1960), "Effect of inelastic behavior on the response of simple systems to earthquake motions", Proc., 2nd World Conf. Earthquake Engineering, 895-912.
- Wolf, J.P. (1985), Dynamic soil-structure interaction, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, Prentice-Hall, USA.
- Zhao, X. (2012), "Investigation of plastic hinges in reinforced concrete (RC) structures by finite element method and experimental study", Department of Civil and Architectural Engineering, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, 293.
- Zhao, X., Wu, Y.F, Leung, A.Y.T. and Lam, H.F. (2011), "Plastic hinge length in reinforced concrete flexural members", Procedia Eng., 14, 1266-1274. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2011.07.159
- Zhao, X., Wu, Y.F and Leung, A.Y.T. (2012), "Analysis of plastic hinge regions in reinforced concrete beams under monotonic loading", Eng. Struct., 34, 466-482. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2011.10.016
- Seismic reliability evaluation of tunnel form (box-type) RC structures under the accidental torsion pp.14644177, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/suco.201700276