- Volume 5 Issue 6
This paper investigated the seismic behaviour of an innovated non-ductile precast concrete wall structural system; namely HC Precast System (HCPS). The system comprises load-bearing precast wall panels merely connected only to column at both ends. Such study is needed because there is limited research information available in design codes for such structure particularly in regions having low to moderate seismicity threats. Experimentally calibrated numerical model of the wall system was used to carry out nonlinear pushover analyses with various types of lateral loading patterns. Effects of laterally applied single point load (SPL), uniformly distributed load (UDL), modal distributed load (MDL) and triangular distributed load (TDL) onto global behaviour of HCPS were identified. Discussion was focused on structural performance such as ductility, deformability, and effective stiffness of the wall system. Thus, a new method for engineers to estimate the nonlinear deformation of HCPS through linear analysis was proposed.
low ductility;displacement factor;seismic;precast concrete wall;pushover
- American Concrete Institute (1999), ACI 318: Building code requirements for reinforced concrete, Farmington Hills, Michigan, American Concrete Institute.
- Bljuger, F. (1988), Design of precast concrete structures, West Sussex, England, Ellis Horwood.
- British Standards Institution (1997), BS 8110: Structural use of concrete. Part 1-Code of practice for design and construction, London, British Standards Institution.
- CEN 1992 (2002), Eurocode 2: Design of concrete structures ? Part 1: General rules and rules for building, London, UK, British Standards Institution.
- CEN 1998 (2003), Eurocode 8: Design of structures for earthquake resistance - Part 1: General rules, seismic actions and rules for buildings, London, UK, British Standards Institution.
- Chakrabarti, S.C., Nayak, G.C. and Paul, D.K. (1988), "Shear characteristics of cast-in-place vertical joints in story high precast wall assembly", ACI Struct. J., 85(1), 30-45.
- Chopra, A.K. (2007), Dynamics of structures-theory and applications to earthquake engineering, New Jersey, US, Pearson Prentice Hall.
- Christiansen, J.V. (1973), "Analysis of lateral load resisting elements", PCI J., November-December, 54-71.
- Desayi, P. and Krishnan, S. (1964), "Equation for the stress-strain curve of concrete", J. Am. Concrete Inst., 61, 345-350.
- Divan, M. and Madhkhan, M. (2011), "Determination of behaviour coefficient of prefabricated concrete frame with prefabricated shear walls", Procedia Eng., 14, 3229-3236. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2011.07.408
- Elliot, K.S. (2002), Precast concrete structures, Woburn, MA, Butterworth-Heinemann.
- Englekirk, R.E. (2003), Seismic design of reinforced and precast concrete buildings, Canada, John Wiley and Sons.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) (2000), FEMA-356: Pre-standard and commentary for the seismic rehabilitation of buildings.
- Frosch, R.J., Li, W., Jirsa, J.O. and Kreger, M.E. (1996), "Retrofit of non-ductile moment-resisting frame using precast infill wall panels", Earthq. Spectra, 12(4), 741-760. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1585908
- Gere, J.M. and Timoshenko, S.P. (1997), Mechanics of materials, Boston, Massachusetts, PWS Publishing.
- Hamid, N.H.A. (2009), Seismic performance and design criteria of precast wall panels, Malaysia, University Publication Centre UiTM.
- Hamid, N.H.A. and Mohamed, N.M. (2011), "Seismic behaviour of non-seismic precast wall panel of double-storey house under quasi-static lateral cyclic loading", Technical Report. (Unpublished)
- Haron, N.A., Hassim, I.S., Kadir, M.R.A. and Jaafar, M.S. (2005), "Building cost comparison between conventional and formwork system: a case study of four-storey school buildings in Malaysia", Am. J. Appl. Sci., 2, 819-823. https://doi.org/10.3844/ajassp.2005.819.823
- Hartland, R.A. (1975), Design of precast concrete, London, Surrey University Press.
- Hashemi, S.S., Tasnimi, A.A. and Soltani, M. (2009), "Nonlinear cyclic analysis of reinforced concrete frames, utilizing new joint element", Sci. Iranica Transaction A: Civil Eng., 16(6),490-501.
- Hassim, S., Jaafar, M.S. and Sazalli, S.A.A.H. (2009), "The contractor perception towards industrialized building system risk in construction projects in Malaysia", Am. J. Appl. Sci., 6, 937-942.
- International Code Council (2009), 2009 International building code, Illinois, USA, International Code Council.
- Kalkan, E. and Kunnath, S.K. (2006), "Adaptive modal combination procedure for nonlinear static analysis of building structures", J.Struct. Eng., 132(11), 1721-1731. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2006)132:11(1721)
- Lopes, M.S. and Bento, R. (2001), "Seismic behaviour of dual systems with column hinging", Earthq. Spectra, 17(4), 657-678. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1423655
- Lu, X., Urukap, T.H., Li, S. and Lin, F. (2012), "Seismic behavior of interior RC beam-column joints with additional bars under cyclic loading", Earthq. Struct., 3(1), 37-57. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2012.3.1.037
- Mosley, B., Bungey, J. and Hulse, R. (2007), Reinforced concrete design to Eurocode 2, New York, US, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Pecker, A. (2007), Advanced earthquake engineering analysis, New York, US, Springer Wien New York.
- Raths, C.H. (1977), Design of load bearing wall panels-design considerations for a precast prestressed apartment building, Illinois, US, Prestressed Concrete Institute.
- Rodriguez, M.E. and Blandon, J.J. (2005), "Test on a half-scale two story seismic-resisting precast concrete building", PCI J., January-February, 94-114.
- Soudki, K.A., West, J.S., Rizkalla, S.H. and Blackett, B. (1996), "Horizontal connections for precast concrete shear wall panels under cyclic shear loading", PCI J., 41(3), 64-80.
- Tiong, P.L.Y., Adnan, A. and Ahmad, F. (2011), "Improved discrete precast concrete wall panels and modular moulds for wet joints in Malaysia", Concrete Plant Int., 6, 150-152.
- Vafaei, M., Adnan, A. and Yadollahi, M. (2011), "Seismic damage detection using pushover analysis", Adv. Mater. Res., 255-260, 2496-2499. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.255-260.2496
- Case study of load-bearing precast wall system subject to low seismic intensity by linear and nonlinear analyses vol.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csse.2016.05.001
- Seismic base isolation of precast wall system using high damping rubber bearing vol.7, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.6.1141
- Different macroscopic models for slender and squat reinforced concrete walls subjected to cyclic loads vol.7, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.5.877