- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Mediating Effect of Drug Calculation Confidence in the Relationship between Interest in Medication and Drug Calculation Competency
투약에 대한 흥미도와 약물계산역량 간의 관계에서 약물계산자신감의 매개효과: Kolb의 학습양식유형을 적용하여
Park, Hyoung Sook;Cho, Gyoo Yeong;Kim, Dong-Hee;Kim, Sang Hee;Kim, Myoung Soo
- Received : 2013.03.12
- Accepted : 2013.11.11
- Published : 2013.11.30
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to identify the mediating effect of confidence for drug calculation in the relationship between interest in medication and drug calculation competency using learning style. Methods: Participants in this study were 421 nursing students from Busan and Kyungnam province. The scales of learning style, interest in medication, importance of perception, confidence for drug calculation, and drug calculation competency for nursing students were used in this study. Descriptive statistics,
Medication;Learning;Drug dosage calculations;Competence;Self-efficacy
- Grandell-Niemi, H., Hupli, M., Leino-kilpi, H., & Puukka, P. (2003). Medication calculation skills of nurses in Finland. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 12, 519-528. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2702.2003.00742.x
- Grandell-Niemi, H., Hupli, M., Puukka, P., & Leino-kilpi, H. (2006). Finnish nurses' and nursing students' mathematical skills. Nurse Education Today, 26, 151-161. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2005.08.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2005.08.007
- Joy, S., & Kolb, D. A. (2009). Are there cultural differences in learning style? International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 33, 69-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijintrel.2008.11.002
- Kang, Y. H., Cho, B. W., & Lim, K. H. (2003). A study for standardization of learning interest inventory. Journal of the Korean Educational Psychology Association, 17, 1-37.
- Kim, M. S., Kim, Y. H., Kim, J. S., Park, K. Y., & Park, J. H. (2012). Actual clinical medicine. Seoul: Soomoonsa.
- Kim, M. S., Park, J. H., & Park, K. Y. (2012). Development and effectiveness of a drug dosage calculation training program using cognitive loading theory based on smartphone application. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 42(5), 689-698. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.5.689 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.5.689
- Kim, T. H. (2010). Comprehensive strategies to improve students' attitudes toward mathematics. Proceedings of Mathematical Education, 44, 21-28.
- King, R. L. (2004). Nurses' perceptions of their pharmacology educational needs. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 45, 392-400. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2003.02922.x
- Kolb, D. A. (1984). Experiential learning: Experience as a source of learning and development. New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Freiberger, V., Steinmayr, R., & Spinath, B. (2012). Competence beliefs and perceived ability evaluations: How do they contribute to intrinsic motivation and achievement? Learning and Individual Differences, 22, 518-522. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lindif.2012.02.004
- Aspden, P., Wolcott, J. A., Bootman, J. L., & Cronenwett, L. R. (2007). Preventing medication errors. Washington DC: National Academy of Sciences.
- Bath, J. B., & Blais, K. (1993). Learning style as a predictor of drug dosage calculation ability. Nurse Educator, 18(1), 33-36.
- Cho, S. O. (2008). The relationship among learning styles, the mathematical disposition, factors of mathematical anxiety and mathematical achievement of girls' high school students. Unpublished master's thesis, Wonkwang University, Iksan.
- Chun, H. (2002). The relationship between learning styles and majors of college students. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- El-Gilany, A. H., & Abusaad, F. E. (2012). Self-directed learning readiness and learning styles among Saudi undergraduate nursing students. Nurse Education Today, Retrieved May 27, 2012, from http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2012. 05.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2012.05.003
- Sulosaari, V., Suhonen, R., & Leino-Kilpi, H. (2011). An integrative review of the literature on registered nurses' medication competence. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 20, 464-478. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2010.03228.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2010.03228.x
- Sweller, J., Van Merrienboer, J. J., & Pass, F. G. (1998). Cognitive architecture and Instructional design. Educational Psychology Review, 10, 251-296. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1022193728205
- Tabachnick, B. G., & Fidell, L. S. (2001). Using multivariate statistics (4th ed.). Needham heights, Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
- Wigfield, A., & Eccles, J. S. (2000). Expectancy-value theory of achievement motivation. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 25, 68-81. https://doi.org/10.1006/ceps.1999.1015
- Wilson, A. (2003). Student nurses need more than maths to improve their drug calculating skills. Nurse Education Today, 27, 278-285.
- Wright, K. (2007). Unsupervised medication administration by nursing students. Nursing Standard, 19, 49-54.
- Wright, K. (2008). Can effective teaching and learning strategies help student nurses to retain drug calculation skills? Nurse Education Today, 28, 856-864. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2008.01.002. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2008.01.002
- Wright, K. (2012). Student nurses' perceptions of how they learn drug calculation skills. Nurse Education Today, 32, 721-726. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2011. 09.014 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2011.09.014
- Latter, S., Rycroft-Malone, J., Yerrell, P., & Shaw, D. (2001). Nurses' educational preparation for a medication education role: Findings from a national survey. Nurse Education Today, 21, 143-154. https://doi.org/10.1054/nedt.2000.0528
- Lee, J. T., Son, J. H., Chandra, V., Lilo, E., & Dalman, R. L. (2011). Long-term impact of a preclinical endovascular skills course on medical student career choices. Journal of Vascular Surgery, 54, 1193-1200. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2011.04.052
- Manias, E., & Bullock, S. (2002). The educational preparation of undergraduate nursing students in pharmacology: Perceptions and experiences of lectures and students. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 39, 757-769. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7489(02)00018-4
- Markowitz, E., Bernstam, E. V., Herskovic, J., Zhang, J., Shneiderman, B., Plaisant, C., et al. (2011). Medication reconciliation: Work domain ontology, prototype development, and a predictive model. AMIA Annual Symposium Process. 878-887. Retrieved November 25, 2011, from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3243117/pdf/0878_amia_2011_proc.pdf
- McMullan, M., Jones, R., & Lea, S. (2011). The effect of an interactive e-drug calculations package on nursing students drug calculation ability and self-efficacy. International Journal of Medical Informatics, 80, 421-430. http://dx.doi.org/10. 1016/j.ijmedinf.2010.10.021 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2010.10.021
- Oh, S. C. (2000). The consequences of development and application of interest induced learning material on mathematics scholastic achievement-focused on vocational high school. Journal of the Korean School Mathematics Society, 3, 111-122.
- Sulosaari, V., Kajander, S., Hupli, M., Huupponen, R., & Leino-Kilpi, H. (2012). Nurse students' medication competence-An integrative review of the associated factors. Nurse Education Today, 32, 399-405. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt. 2011.05.016 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2011.05.016
- Factors Influencing Confidence in Performance Competence of Core Basic Nursing Skills by Nursing Students* vol.22, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2015.22.3.297
- The Preference of Instructional Methods and Kolb's Learning Styles of Nursing Students vol.14, pp.10, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.10.339