- Volume 18 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Long-Term GPS Satellite Orbit Prediction Scheme with Virtual Planet Perturbation
가상행성 섭동력을 고려한 긴 주기 GPS 위성궤도예측기법
- Yoo, Seungsoo (Konkuk University) ;
- Lee, Junghyuck (SKHYNIX) ;
- Han, Jin Hee (TELACE) ;
- Jee, Gyu-In (Konkuk University) ;
- Kim, Sun Yong (Konkuk University)
- 유승수 (건국대학교 전자정보통신공학부) ;
- 이정혁 (SK하이닉스) ;
- 한진희 ((주)텔에이스) ;
- 지규인 (건국대학교 전자정보통신공학부) ;
- 김선용 (건국대학교 전자정보통신공학부)
- Received : 2012.08.27
- Accepted : 2012.09.25
- Published : 2012.11.01
The purpose of this paper is to analyze GPS (Global Positioning System) satellite orbital mechanics, and then to propose a novel long-term GPS satellite orbit prediction scheme including virtual planet perturbation. The GPS orbital information is a necessary prerequisite to pinpointing the location of a GPS receiver. When a GPS receiver has been shut down for a long time, however, the time needed to fix it before its reuse is too long due to the long-standing GPS orbital information. To overcome this problem, the GPS orbital mechanics was studied, such as Newton's equation of motion for the GPS satellite, including the non-spherical Earth effect, the luni-solar attraction, and residual perturbations. The residual perturbations are modeled as a virtual planet using the least-square algorithm for a moment. Through the modeling of the virtual planet with the aforementioned orbital mechanics, a novel GPS orbit prediction scheme is proposed. The numerical results showed that the prediction error was dramatically reduced after the inclusion of virtual planet perturbation.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- E. D. Kaplan and C. J. Hegarty, Understanding GPS: Principles and Applications, 2nd Edition, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2006.
- Technical Director of Global Positioning Systems Wing, Navstar GPS Space Segment/Navigation User Interfaces (IS-GPS-200), Revision E, Science Applications International Corporation GPSW SE&I, El Segundo, CA, June 2010.
- C. Park, D.-H. Hwang, and S. J. Lee, "Error analysis of mordernized GPS and Galileo Positioning," Journal of Control, Automation and Systems Engineering (in Korean), vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 644-650, July 2005. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2005.11.7.644
- D. W. Lim, H. H. Choi, M. B. Heo, and S. J. Lee, "A model-based multipath estimation technique for GPS receivers," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 391-399, Apr. 2012. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2012.18.4.391
- F. van Diggelen, A-GPS: Assisted GPS, GNSS, and SBAS, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2009.
- G.-I. Jee, "Trend review for wireless positionning and assisted GPS," Journal of Control, Automation and Systems Engineering (in Korean), vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 23-26, Mar. 2003.
- S.-H. Song, J.-W. Park, J. H. Park, and T.-K. Sung, "Performance analysis of signal acquisition in L2C assisted GPS receivers," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 61-67, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2011.17.1.61
- M. Iubatti, M. Villanti, A. Vanelli-Coralli, G. E. Corazza, and S. Corazza, "Ephemeris interpolation techniques for assisted GNSS services," Springer Series on Signals and Communication Technology: Satellite Communications and Navigation Systems, Springer, pp. 185-197, Feb. 2008.
- Y. Feng and Y. Zheng, "Efficient interpolations to GPS orbits for precise wide area applications," Journal of GPS Solutions, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 237-282, 2005.
- M. Schenewerk, "A brief review of basic GPS orbit interpolation strategies," Journal of GPS Solutions, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 265-267, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10291-002-0036-0
- S. Han and P. Alto (SiRF Technology, Inc.), Method and Appratus in Standalone Positioning without Broadcast Ephemeris, United States Patent: US 7,564,406B2, July 2009.
- P. C. P. M. Pardal, R. V. de Moraes, and H. K. Kuga, "Orbit determination modeling analysis by GPS including perturbations due to geopotential coefficients of high degree and order, solar radiation pressure and luni-solar attraction," Journal of Aerospace Technology and Management, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 79-86, Jan.-Apr. 2011. https://doi.org/10.5028/jatm.2011.03010611
- T.-A. Hsu, L.-S. Wang, F.-R. Chang, and Y.-F. Tseng, "Long-term prediction of GPS satellite orbit," Proceedings of The Society of Instrument and Control Engineers (SICE) Annual Conference, Taipei, Taiwan, pp. 2906-2909, Aug. 2010.
- H.-T. Hsiao and T.-H. Chang, "Algorithm design for long-term GPS satellite orbit prediction," Proceedings of the 2011 Chinese Control and Decision Conference (CCDC), Mianyang, China, pp. 2761-2766, May 2011.
- C. J. Rodriguez-Solano, U. Hugentobler, and P. Steigenberger, "Adjustable box-wing model for solar radiation pressure impacting GPS satellites," The Official Journal of the Committee on Space Research (COSPAR), a Scientific Committee of the International Council for Science (ICSU): Advances in Space Research, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 1113-1128, Apr. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asr.2012.01.016
- C. Rodriguez-Solano, U. Hugentobler, P. Steigenberger, K. Sosnica, and M. Fritsche, "Non-conservative GNSS satellite modeling: long-term behavior," Proceedings of European Geosciences Union (EGU) General Assembly 2012, Vienna, Austria. [Online]. Available: http://www.bernese.unibe.ch/publist/2012/post/KS_EGU2012_BOXW_S LR.pdf, Apr. 2012.
- ICGEM (International Center for Global Earth Models) website. [Online]. Available: http://www.icgem.gfz-potsdam.de/ICGEM/ICGEM.html.
- IERS (International Earth Rotation and Reference Systems Service) website. [Online]. Available: http://iers. org/.
- IGS (International GNSS Service) website. [Online]. Available: http://igscb.jpl.nasa.gov/.
- TelAce website. [Online]. Available: http://www.telace.co. kr/images/T1.pdf
- J. Lee, GPS Satellite Perturbation Modeling including Viertual Planet for GPS Orbit Estimation, Master's Thesis, Konkuk University, Dec. 2011.