- Volume 30 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Influence of UV Irradiation on Stilbene Contents and Gray Mold Incidence in Grapevine Leaves
자외선 조사가 포도잎의 Stilbene 함량 및 잿빛곰팡이병 발생에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2012.05.09
- Accepted : 2012.07.11
- Published : 2012.10.31
In order to confirm the possibility of UV utilization as a means for disease protection in grapevine the stilbene contents and the disease incidence in UV irradiated leaves were investigated. UV irradiation significantly increased the contents of resveratrol, piceatannol and piceid, in them, resveratrol and piceid showed in vitro inhibition of spore germination and mycelium growth of Botrytis cinerea. The accumulation of both the stilbenes in UV irradiated leaves seems to be enough to inhibit the B. cinerea growth, since the formation of necrotic spot on the leaves was considerably inhibited when they were inoculated with the conidial spores of B. cinerea. However the stilbenes were accumulated only in the leaves exposed directly to UV showing a limited translocation ability of the compounds. Thus it would be necessary to develop a method to evenly irradiate the entire crown of plant with UV in order to expect to protect them from disease by UV irradiation.
Botrytis cinerea;disease protection;piceid;resveratrol
- Baur, J.A. and D.A. Sinclair. 2006. Therapeutic potential of resveratrol: The in vivo evidence. Nat. Rev. Drug Discov. 5:493-506. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrd2060
- Byun, H.J. and S.J. Choi. 2003. Suppression of post-harvest grey mold rot incidence in strawberry by field application of hydrogen peroxide. J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 44:859-862.
- Choi, S.J. 2011. The identification of stilbene compounds and the change of their contents in UV-irradiated grapevine leaves. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 29:374-381.
- Chong, J., A. Poutaraud, and P. Hugueney. 2009. Metabolism and roles of stilbenes in plants. Plant Sci. 177:143-155. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plantsci.2009.05.012
- Franca, S.C., P.G. Roberto, M.A. Marins, R.D. Puga, A. Rodrigues, and J.O. Pereira. 2001. Biosynthesis of secondary metabolites in sugarcane. Genet. Mol. Biol. 24:243-250. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1415-47572001000100032
- Glaessgen, W.E., A. Rose, J. Madlung, W. Koch, J. Gleitz, and H.U. Seitz. 1998. Regulation of enzymes involved in anthocyanin biosynthesis in carrot cell cultures in response to treatment with ultraviolet light and fungal elicitors. Planta 204:490-498. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004250050283
- Gonzales-Laredo, R.F., J. Chaidez-Gonzalez, A.A. Ahmed, and J.J. Karchesy. 1997. A stilbene xyloside from Holodiscus discolor bark. Phytochem. 46:175-176. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9422(97)83296-7
- Hanawa, F., S. Tahara, and J. Mizutani. 1992. Antifungal stress compounds from Veratum grandifolium leaves treated with cupric chloride. Phytochem. 31:3005-3007. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-9422(92)83436-3
- Hart, J.H. 1981. Role of phytostilbenes in decay and disease resistance. Ann. Rev. Phytopathol. 19:437-458. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.py.19.090181.002253
- Jang, M., L. Cai, G. Udeani, K. Slowing, C. Thomas, C. Beecher, H. Fong, N. Farnworth, A. Kinghorn, R. Mehta, R. Moon, and J. Pezzuto. 1997. Cancer chemopreventive activity of resveratrol, a natural product derived from grapes. Science 275:218-220. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.275.5297.218
- Jansen, M.A.K., K. Hectors, N.M. O'Brien, Y. Guisez, and G. Potters. 2008. Plant stress and human health: Do human consumers benefit from UV-B acclimated crops? Plant Sci. 175:449-458. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plantsci.2008.04.010
- Jeandet, P, M. Sbaghi, R. Bessis, and P. Meunier. 1995. Production of the phytoalexin resveratrol in grapes as a response to Botrytis attack under natural conditions. J. Phytopathol. 143:135-139. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0434.1995.tb00246.x
- Korhammer, S., F. Reniero, and F. Mattivi. 1995. An oligostilbene from Vitis roots. Phytochemistry 38:1501-1504. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-9422(94)00811-7
- Lee, N.R. and S.J. Choi. 2009. Contents of resveratrol in different parts of various grape cultivars. Kor. J. Food Preserv. 16: 959-964.
- Langcake, P. and R.J. Pryce. 1976. The production of resveratrol by Vitis vinifera and other members of the Vitaceae as a response to infection or injury. Physiol. Plant Pathol. 9:77-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-4059(76)90077-1
- Langcake, P. and R.J. Pryce. 1977. The production of resveratrol and the viniferins by grapevines in response to ultraviolet irradiation. Phytochemistry 16:1193-1196. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9422(00)94358-9
- Leyva, A., J.A. Jarillo, J. Salinas, and J.M. Martinez-Zapater. 1995. Low temperature induces the accumulation of phenylalanine ammonia-lyase and chalcone synthase mRNAs of Arabidopsis thaliana in a light-dependent manner. Plant Physiol. 108:39-46.
- Lorenz, P., S. Roychowdhury, M. Engelmann, G. Wolf, and T.F.W. Horn. 2003. Oxyresveratrol and resveratrol are potent antioxidants and free radical scavengers: Effect on nitrosative and oxidative stress derived from microglial cells. Nitric Oxide 9:64-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.niox.2003.09.005
- Luckey, T.D. 1980. Hormesis with ionizing radiation. CRC Press, Boca Raton.
- Roh, J.H., H.K. Yun, K.S. Park, Y.J. Choi, S.S. Hong, and S.H. Jeon. 2005. Salicylic acid and resveratrol content changes as affected by Downy Mildew and Anthracnose in grapevine. J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 46:59-63.
- Sales, J.M. and A.V.A. Resurreccion. 2009. Maximising resveratrol and piceid contents in UV and ultrasound treated peanuts. Food Chem. 117:674-680. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.04.075
- Shama, G. and P. Alderson. 2005. UV hormesis in fruits: A concept ripe for commercialisation. Trends Food Sci. Technol. 16:128-136. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2004.10.001
- Sharma, O.P. and T.K. Bhat. 2009. DPPH antioxidant assay revisited. Food Chem. 113:1202-1205. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.08.008
- Siemann, E.H. and L.L. Creasy. 1992. Concentration of phytoalexin resveratrol in wine. Am. J. Enol. Vitic. 43:49-52.
- Soleas, G.J., E.P. Diamandis, and D.M. Goldberg. 1997. Resveratrol: A Molecule whose time has come? and gone? Clinical Biochem. 30:91-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0009-9120(96)00155-5
- Wang, W., K. Tang, H.R. Yang, P-F. Wen, P. Zhang, H.L. Wang, and W.D. Huang. 2010. Distribution of resveratrol and stilbene synthase in young grape plant (Vitis vinifera L. cv. Cabernet Sauvignon) and the effect of UV-C on its accumulation. Plant Physiol. Biochem. 48:142-152. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plaphy.2009.12.002
- Waterhouse, A.L. and R.M. Lamuela-Raventos. 1994. The occurrence of piceid, a stilbene glucoside, in grapeberries. Phytochemistry 37:571-573. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-9422(94)85102-6
- Inhibition of Botrytis cinerea and accumulation of stilbene compounds by light-emitting diodes of grapevine leaves and differential expression of defense-related genes vol.143, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10658-015-0725-5
Supported by : 농촌진흥청