- Volume 24 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Influencing Factors associated Cultural Awareness of Immigrants for Marriage, Foreign Workers in Korean Nursing Students
간호대학생의 결혼이민자 및 외국인노동자에 대한 문화적 인식 영향요인
- Kim, Kyung Sook (Department of Nursing, Namseoul University) ;
- Yu, Mi (Department of Nursing, Namseoul University)
- Received : 2012.06.29
- Accepted : 2012.10.20
- Published : 2012.10.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to identify the influencing factors associated to students nurses' cultural awareness toward immigrants for marriage and foreign workers. Methods: The participants were 107 nursing students in C city in Chungnam province. The data were collected with structured questionnaire. Collected data were analyzed using t-test, ANOVA, correlation analysis, and stepwise multiple regression. Results: The mean score of cultural awareness was 3.67. The degree of cultural awareness was different according to educational experience related multiculture and age. The variables predicting cultural awareness were social distance of foreign workers, emotions of immigrants for marriage and age. These factors accounted for 26% of the variance of cultural awareness in nursing students. Conclusion: The results indicate education related multiculture should be provided to nursing students to reduce the social distance between students and foreign workers and enhance positive emotions for immigrants.
- Brigham, J. C. (1971). Ethnic Stereotypes. Psychological Bulletin. 76. 15-38. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0031446
- Caffrey, R. A., Neander, W., Markle, D., & Stewart, B. (2005). Improving the cultural competence of nursing students: Results of integrating cultural content in the curriculum and an international immersion experience. Journal of Nursing Education, 44 (5), 234-240.
- Donnelly, P. L. (2000). Ethics and cross-cultural nursing. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 11 (2), 119-126. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/104365960001100206 https://doi.org/10.1177/104365960001100206
- Hyun, J. H. (2011). The factor affecting cultural capacity of those engaged in social welfare facility. Unpublished master's thesis, Honam University. Gwangju.
- Jung, H. S., Kim, Y. K., Kim, H. L., Yi, G., Song, Y. E., Kim, J. H., et al. (2008). The health status and occupational characteristics related to gender of migrant worker in Korea. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, 17 (2), 126-137.
- Kardong-Edgren, S., Cason, C., Brennan, A., Reifsnider, E., Hummel, F., Mancini, M., et al. (2010). Cultural competency of graduation BSN nursing students. Nursing Education Perspectives, 31 (5), 278-285.
- Katz, I., & Hass, R. G. (1988). Racial ambivalence and value conflict: Correlational and priming studies of dual cognitive structures, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 55, 893-905. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.523
- Kim, H. S., & Oh, S. S. (1999). The stereotypes, affects and attitudes of college students and citizens toward North Koreans: A comparison with those toward other foreigners. Psychological Science, 8 (1), 1-22.
- Kim, K., Lee, E., & Kim, J. (2011). Cognition of multicultural families in hospital nurses. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, 13 (6), 3049-3058.
- Kim, M. K. (2010). A qualitative study on university students' multicultural competence: Focusing on the cultural cognition, cultural knowledge and cultural skill. Journal of Korean Living Science Association, 19 (6), 945-965.
- Kim, S. J., Lee, C. S., Kim, B. Y., Choi, B. S., & Kweon, Y. R. (2010). The effect of multi cultural understanding program on social distance, attitude toward multi cultures and race in middle school students. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, 12 (1), 211-225.
- Kim, S. K., Kim, Y. K., Cho, A. J., Kim, H. R., Lee, H. K., Seol, D. H., et al. (2010). 2009 national survey of multicultural families. Policy Report; 2010-6, Korea Health Industry Development Institute.
- Koh, A. (2005). The research of racial bias of children focus on Seoul and Kyoungkido. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Koh, S. K., & Rhee, Y. S. (2011). A study on factors affecting childcare teacher's cultural capability. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, 13 (4), 2027-2038.
- Krainovich-Miller, B., Yost, J. M., Norman, R. G., Auerhahn, C., Dobal, M., Rosedale, M., et al. (2008). Measuring cultural awareness of nursing students: a first step toward cultural competency. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 19 (3), 250-258. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1177/1043659608317451 https://doi.org/10.1177/1043659608317451
- Kuehn, A. F., Chircop, A., Downe-Wambold, B., Sheppard- LeMoine, D., Wittstock, L., Herbert, R., et al. (2011). Evaluating the impact of a North American Nursing Exchange program on student cultural awareness. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, 8 (1), 1-15. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.2202/1548-923X.1919 https://doi.org/10.2202/1548-923X.1919
- Lee, G. J., Um, S. J., & Jeon, S. H. (2002). Current society and psychology. Seoul: Asian Culture Press.
- Lee, S. H., Kim, J. S., & Han, K. H. (2012). A study on effects that elementary school students' attitudes toward race have on multicultural values, Education-Culture Research, 18 (1), 133-166. https://doi.org/10.24159/joec.2012.18.1.133
- Min, S., & Lee, M. (2009). A exploratory study about the cultural competence of university students: Focused on the cultural awareness. Journal of Adolescent Welfare, 11 (1), 183-206.
- Ministry of Justice. (2011). Korea Immigration service. Retrieved June 29, 2012, from http://www.moj.go.kr/HP/TIMM/images/images/2011_immigration_policy_0.pdf
- Ministry of Public Administration and Security. (2010). Status of foreign residents. Retrieved June 29, 2012, from http:// www.mopas.go.kr/gpms/ns/mogaha/user/userlayout/bulletin/userBtView.action?userBtBean.bbs Seq=1021213&userBtBean.ctxCd=1291&userBtBean.ctxType=21010002¤tPage=41
- Park, H. S., Bae, K. E., Kim, D. H., & Yoon, A. R. (2008). Health status of married immigrant women in Busan. Journal of Korean Academy Fundamental Nursing, 15 (1), 80-88.
- Park, S. H. (2011). Factors affecting social work undergraduate student's attitude on social distance toward multicultural groups. Unpublished master's thesis, Honam University, Gwangju.
- Rew, L., Becker, H., Cookston, J., Khosropours, S., & Martinez, S. (2003). Measuring cultural awareness in nursing students. Journal of Nursing Education, 42 (6), 249-257.
- Schim, S. M., Doorenbos, A. Z., & Borse, N. N. (2006). Cultural competence among hospice nurses. Journal of Hospice & Palliative Nursing, 8 (5), 302-307. https://doi.org/10.1097/00129191-200609000-00016
- Seo, U. S. (2010). An comparative analysis of social awareness of multiculture society in, Korea, China, Vietnam. Multicultures Society Research, 3 (1), 31-64.
- Smit, E. M., & Tremethick, M. J. (2012). Development of an international interdisciplinary course: A strategy to promote cultural competence and collaboration. Nurse Education in Practice, 7, 1-5. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2012.08.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2012.08.006
- Spanierman, L. B., Poteat, V. P., Wang, Y. F., & Oh, E. (2008). Psychosocial costs of racism to white counselors: Predicting various dimensions of multicultural counseling competence. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 55 (1), 75-88. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-0184.108.40.206 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0220.127.116.11
- Sue, D. W., Arredondo, P., & McDavis, R. J. (1998). Multicultural counseling competence: Individual and organizational development. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- United Nation. (2009). Trends in international migration stock: The 2008 Revision. Retrieved September 10, 2012, from http://www.un.org/esa/population/migration/UN_Mig Stock_2008.pdf
- Cultural Competence and Factors Influencing Cultural Competence in Nursing Students vol.22, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2013.22.3.159
- Factors Influencing to the Cultural Competence in Nursing Students vol.12, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.6.415
- A Comparison Study on Multicultural Attitude and Relating Factors of Nursing College Students and Non-Nursing Major Students in Korea vol.15, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.4.2310
- Subjective View of and Attitude toward Multiculturalism in First-year Undergraduate Nursing Students after Completing a Multicultural Subject vol.26, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2015.26.3.248