- Volume 15 Issue 10
Recently, the evaluating method of the bone mineral density (BMD) in X-ray absorptiometry image has been studied for the early diagnosis of osteoporosis which is known as a metabolic disease. The BMD, in general, is evaluated by calculating pixel intensity in the bone segmented regions. Accurate bone region extraction is extremely crucial for the BMD evaluation. So, a X-Ray image enhancement is needed to get precise bone segmentation. In this paper, we propose an image enhancement method of X-ray image having multiple noise based sparse representation. To evaluate the performance of proposed method, we employ the contrast to noise ratio (CNR) metric and cut-view graphs visualizing image enhancement performance. Experimental results show that the proposed method outperforms the BayesShrink noise reduction methods and the previous noise reduction method in sparse representation with general noise model.
Sparse Representation;X-ray absorptiometry image;Image Enhancement
- Stephan Grampp, Radiology of Osteoporosis, Springer, Berlin Heidelberg, 2008.
- A. El Maghraoui and C. Roux, "DXA Scanning in Clinical Practice," Int'l Journal of Medicine , Vol. 101, No. 8, pp. 605-617, 2008.
- P.J. Ryan, "Overview of Role of BMD Measurements in Managing Osteoporosis," Seminars in Nuclear Medicine, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 197-209, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0001-2998(97)80024-4
- J.W. Kwon, S.I. Cho, Y.B. Ahn, and Y.M. Ro, "Bone Region Extraction by Dual Energy X-ray Absorption Image Decompositions," Journal of Korea Multimedia Society, Vol. 12, No. 9, pp. 1233-1241, 2009.
- J.W. Kwon, S.I. Cho, Y.B. Ahn, and Y.M. Ro, "Noise Reduction in DEXA Image Based on System Noise Modeling," Int'l Conf. Biomed. Phar. Eng., pp. 1-6, 2009.
- M.F. Hossain, M.R. Alsharif, and K. Yamashita, "Medical Image Enhancement Based on Nonlinear Technique and Logarithmic Transform Coefficient Histogram Matching," Int'l Conf. Complex Med. Eng., pp. 58-62, 2010.
- David L. Donoho, "De-Noising by Soft- Thresholding," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, Vol. 41, No. 3, pp. 613-627, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/18.382009
- L. Wang, J. Lu, Y. Li, T. Yahagi, and T. Okamoto, "Noise Removal for Medical X-ray Images in Wavelet Domain," IEEJ Trans. Elec. Info. Sys., Vol. 126, No. 2, pp. 237-244, 2006.
- X. Huang, A.C. Madoc, and A.D. Cheetham, "Image Multi-Noise Removal by Waveletbased Bayesian Estimator," Int'l Symp. Circuits and Syst., Vol. 3, pp. 2699-2702, 2005.
- M. Elad and M. Aharon, "Image Denoising via Sparse and Redundant Representations Over Learned Dictionaries," IEEE Trans. Image Processing, Vol. 15, No. 12, pp. 3736-3745, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2006.881969
- J. Wright, A.Y. Yang, A. Genesh, S. Shankar Sastry, and Yi Ma, "Robust Face Recognition via Sparse Representation," IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell., Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 210-227, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2008.79
- J. Yang, J. Wright, Thomas S. Huang, and Yi Ma, "Image Super-Resolution via Sparse Representation," IEEE Trans. Image Processing, Vol. 19, No. 11, pp. 2861-2873, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2010.2050625
- Olg V. Michailovich and A. Tannenbaum, "Despeckling of Medical Ultrasound Images," IEEE Trans. Ultrason., Ferroelect.. Freq. Cont., Vol. 53, No. 1, pp. 64-78, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TUFFC.2006.1588392
- Y.C. Pati, R. Rezaiifar, and P.S. Krishnaprasad, "Orthogonal Matching Pursuit: Recursive Function Approximation with Applications to Wavelet Decomposition," The 27th Annu. Asilomar Conf. Signals, Systems, and Computers, Vol. 1, pp. 40-44, 1993.
- P. Bao and L. Zhang, "Noise Reduction for Magnetic Resonance Image via Adaptive Multiscale Products Thresholding," IEEE Trans. Med. Imag., Vol. 22, No. 9, pp. 1089-1099, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMI.2003.816958
- Y. Li, J. Lu, L. Wang, T. Yahagi, and T. Okamoto, "Removing Noise from Radiological Image using Multineural Network Filter," Int'l Conf. Indus. Technology, pp. 1365-1370, 2005.
- Improvement of Sparse Representation based Classifier using Fisher Discrimination Dictionary Learning for Malignant Mass Detection vol.16, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.9717/kmms.2013.16.5.558
- Quantitative Evaluation of Image Quality using Automatic Exposure Control & Sensitivity in the Digital Chest Image vol.13, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.08.275
- Lung Segmentation Considering Global and Local Properties in Chest X-ray Images vol.16, pp.7, 2013, https://doi.org/10.9717/kmms.2013.16.7.829
Supported by : 보건복지가족부