- Volume 28 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
First Record of a Hyalid Species, Protohyale pumila (Crustacea: Amphipoda: Hyalidae), from Korea
- Shin, Myung-Hwa (School of Biological Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Won (School of Biological Sciences, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2012.07.17
- Accepted : 2012.09.09
- Published : 2012.10.31
A hyalid amphipod, Protohyale pumila (Hiwatari and Kajihara, 1981), collected from Jeju Island is reported for the first time in the Korean fauna. The species is characterized by the presence of a short apical spine on the palp article 4 of maxilliped, a distinctly large and blunt cusp on the propodus of male gnathopod 1, and a distal truncate process on the palm of male gnathopod 2. Herein, the present species is described and illustrated. Korean hyalid amphipods now are composed of four species belonging to three genera. Voucher specimens were deposited in the Marine Arthropod Depository Bank of Korea, Seoul National University.
- Barnard JL, Karaman GS, 1991. The families and genera of marine gammaridean Amphipoda (except marine gammaroids). Records of the Australian Museum, Supplement, 13: 1-866. https://doi.org/10.3853/j.0812-7387.13.1991.91
- Bousfield EL, Hendrycks EA, 2002. The talitroidean amphipod family Hyalidae revised, with emphasis on the North Pacific fauna: systematics and distributional ecology. Amphipacifica, 3:17-134.
- Chevreux E, 1911. Campagnes de la Melita. Les amphipodes d'algerie et de tunisie. I. gammarina. Memoires de la Societe Zoologique de France, 23:143-285.
- Hendrycks EA, Bousfield EL, 2001. The amphipod genus Allorchestes in the North Pacific region: systematics and distributional ecology. Amphipacifica, 3:3-37.
- Hiwatari T, 2003. Taxonomic studies on Hyale (Crustacea, Amphipoda, Hyalidae) from the coast of Japan and adjacent waters. Publication of the Seto Marine Biological Laboratory, 39:229-262. https://doi.org/10.5134/176310
- Hiwatari T, Kajihara T, 1981. Taxonomy of the family Hyalidae (Amphipoda, Crustacea) in Japan. II. A new species of the genus Hyale. Proceedings of the Japanese Society of Systematic Zoology, 21:35-40.
- Hughes LE, Lowry JK, 2006. New species of Amphipoda (Crustacea: Peracarida) from the Solitary Islands, New South Wales, Australia. Zootaxa, 1222:1-52.
- Iwasa M, 1939. Japanese Talitridae. Journal of the Faculty of Science Hokkaido Imperial University, Series VI, Zoology, 6:255-296.
- Serejo CS, 2004. Cladistic revision of talitroidean amphipods (Crustacea, Gammaridea), with a proposal of a new classification. Zoologica Scripta, 33:551-586. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0300-3256.2004.00163.x
- Stephensen K, 1944. Some Japanese amphipods. Videnskabelige Meddelelser fra Dansk Naturhistorisk Forening, 108:25-88.
- New Record of a Hyalid Species, Protohyale (Boreohyale) triangulata (Crustacea: Amphipoda: Hyalidae), from Korea vol.29, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5635/ASED.2013.29.2.198