- Volume 28 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Taxonomic Study of Genus Cyclosalpa (Thaliacea: Salpida: Salpidae) from Korea
- Kim, Sunwoo (Korea Marine Environment Management Corporation) ;
- Won, Jung-Hye (Seodaemun Museum of Natural History) ;
- Kim, Chang-Bae (Department of Green Life Science, Sangmyung University)
- 투고 : 2012.09.22
- 심사 : 2012.10.15
- 발행 : 2012.10.31
Aggregate and solitary zooids of salps were collected from April 2001 to June 2009. By the analyses based on the morphological characteristics, four species in the genus Cyclosalpa of the subfamily Cyclosalpinae are identified as new records in Korean waters: Cyclosalpa affinis (Chamisso, 1819), Cyclosalpa bakeri Ritter, 1905, Cyclosalpa sewelli Metcalf, 1927, and Cyclosalpa polae Sigl, 1912. These species are re-described with illustrations and photographs in this study. In addition, a key to species of the genus Cyclosalpa in Korean waters and a key to the life cycles of Salpida are provided. As a result of this study twelve species in the Salpidae have been reported from Korea until now.
- Berner LD, 1964. Two new pelagic tunicates from the Eastern Pacific Ocean. Pacific Science, 9:247-253.
- Berrill NJ, 1961. With the vast spaces of most of the oceans of a habitat this delicate creature has developed a curious life cycle that stretches the reproductive processes to their limits. Scientific American, 1:150-158.
- Brooks WK, 1908. The pelagic Tunicata of the Gulf Stream. Part III, the subgenus Cyclosalpa. Papers from the Tortugas Laboratory of the Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1: 81-88.
- Chihara M, Murano M, 1997. An illustrated guide to marine plankton in Japan. Tokai University Press, Tokyo, pp. 1- 1574.
- Esnal GB, Daponte MC, 1999. Salpida. In: South Atlantic zooplankton (Ed., Boltovskoy D). Backhuys Publishers, Leiden, pp. 1423-1444.
- Fraser JH, 1947. Thaliacea, I. Family: Salpidae. Zooplankton Sheet, CIEM, 9:1-4.
- Gosner KL, 1971. Guide to identification of marine and estuarine invertebrates: Cape Hatteras to the Bay of Fundy. John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, pp. 1-693.
- Kim S, Won JH, Kim CB, 2010a. A new record of Iasis zonaria (Salpida: Salpidae) in Korean waters. Korean Journal of Systematic Zoology, 26:161-163. https://doi.org/10.5635/KJSZ.2010.26.2.161
- Kim S, Won JH, Kim CB, 2011. Taxonomic study of the genus Thalia (Thaliacea: Salpida: Salpidae) from Korea. Korean Journal of Systematic Zoology, 27:142-150. https://doi.org/10.5635/KJSZ.2011.27.2.142
- Kim S, Won JH, Lee J, Kim CB, 2010b. A new record of Ihlea punctata and redescription of Salpa fusiformis (Salpida: Salpidae) in Korean waters. Korean Journal of Systematic Zoology, 26:353-356. https://doi.org/10.5635/KJSZ.2010.26.3.353
- Kott P, 2005. Catalogue of Tunicata in Australian waters. Australian Biological Resources Study, Department of the Environment and Heritage, Canberra, pp. 1-301.
- Madin LP, 1991. Distribution and taxonomy of zooplankton in the Alboran Sea and adjacent western Mediterranean: a literature survey and field guide. Report for Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institution and Naval Oceanographic and Atmospheric Research Laboratory. Technical Report WHOI-91- 26. Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Woods Hole, MA, pp. 1-148.
- Rho BJ, 1967. Taxonomic studies on the Tunicata. Korea Culture Research Institute Publication, 10:361-371.
- Thompson H, 1948. Pelagic tunicates of Australia. Commonwealth Council for Scientific and Industrial Research Australia, Melbourne, pp. 1-196.
- Tokioka T, 1937. Notes on salpas and doliolums occurring on the Pacific coast of middle Japan. Annotations Zoologicae Japonenses, 16:219-235.
- Van Soest RWM, 1998. The cladistic biogeography of salps and pyrosomas. In: The biology of pelagic tunicates (Ed., Bone Q). Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp. 232-249.
- Yamaji I, 1984. Illustrations of the marine plankton of Japan. Hoikusha Publishing Co., Osaka, pp. 1-537.
- Yount JL, 1954. The taxonomy of the Salpidae (Tunicata) of the central Pacific Ocean. Pacific Science, 8:276-330.
- Toward Energetically Autonomous Foraging Soft Robots vol.3, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1089/soro.2016.0020