- Volume 30 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Study on Acceleration of Transient Brake Section and Skidding Section
불완전 제동구간과 활주구간의 감속도 변화에 대한 연구
- Kim, Kil Bae (Headquarters, Road Traffic Authority) ;
- Jung, Woo Teak (Headquarters, Road Traffic Authority) ;
- Ryu, Tae Sun (Headquarters, Road Traffic Authority) ;
- Oh, Young Tae (Department of Civil & Transportation engineering, Ajou University)
- Received : 2012.03.19
- Accepted : 2012.07.10
- Published : 2012.10.31
Driver ordinarily takes sudden braking when urgent situation is developed or when the vehicle is involved in an unexpected accident. Therefore, the most common trace at a traffic accident scene is skid mark. Currently, in investigating traffic accident, overspeed is determined by the length of skid mark. However, in order to identify accurate cause of accident, estimation of pre-braking speed which takes into account speed reduction during transient time should be considered as a requirement. In a recent study, several ways to estimate pre-braking speed were suggested, but none considered to differentiate the decelerating transient brake section and skidding section. This study analyzed trends of decelerating transient brake section and skidding section by real braking test.
- Edward L. Robinson (1994), Analysis of Accelerometer Data for Use in Skid-Stop Calculation, SAE #940918.
- Fricke L. B, Baker J. S., Traffic Accident Reconstruction (1990), Topic 862 Drag factor and Coefficient of Friction in Traffic Accident Reconstruction, Northwestern Univ, Traffic Institute.
- Han C. P. et al. (2007), An Estimate of Vehicle Velocity of Braking Start Point, Transactions of KSAE, Vol.15, No.5, pp.174-179.
- Jung W. T., Oh, Y. T., Park Y. S., Ryu T. S. (2011), A Study on Correlation Between Skid Distance and Pre-Braking Speed, J. Korean Soc. Transp. Vol.29, No.3, Korean Society of Transportation, pp.115- 122.
- Kim K. N. et al. (2007), Calculation of Brake Onset Velocity for Non-ABS Vehicle on Dry Asphalt Pavement, Transactions of KSAE, Vol.15, No.2, pp.109-114.
- Korea Road Traffic Authority (2002), Traffic Accident Investigation Manual, pp.537-576.
- Limpert R. (1994), Motor Vehicle Accident Reconstruction and Analysis, 2nd Edition, The Michie Company, pp.387-388.
- Neptune J. A. et al. (1995), Speed from Skids: A Modern Approach, SAE #950354.
- O'Hara Charles E., Osterberg James W. (1972), An Introduction to Criminalistics, Chapter 25: Determining speed in Motor Vehicle Accidents, Indiana University Press, Bloomington /London, pp.310-346.
- Ryu T. S., Jeon J. W., Park H. H., Lee S. B. (2009), Relationships Between Pre-Skidding and Pre- Braking Speed, J. Korean Soc. Transp. Vol.27, No.1, Korean Society of Transportation, pp.43-51.
- HEAVY VEHICLE MULTI-BODY DYNAMIC SIMULATIONS TO ESTIMATE SKIDDING DISTANCE vol.13, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3846/bjrbe.2018.384