- Volume 38 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Distribution Characteristics of Airborne Fungi in a Partial Area of Seoul City
서울시 일부 지역의 대기 중 부유 진균의 분포 특성
- Kim, Ki-Youn (Department of Industrial Health, Catholic University of Pusan) ;
- Kim, Dae-Keun (Department of Environmental Engineering, Seoul National University of Science & Technology)
- Received : 2012.05.07
- Accepted : 2012.10.02
- Published : 2012.10.31
Objectives: This study was performed to assess based on field investigation the distribution characteristics of airborne fungi in an area of Seongdong-gu, Seoul. Methods: Three sites, a living area, forest and traffic site, were selected for evaluation of monthly level of outdoor airborne fungi. An on-site survey was executed between January 2009 and December 2009. During the experimental period, air sampling was performed every month in the afternoon (2:00 pm-5:00 pm) using a cascade impactor. Results: Outdoor airborne fungi measured in Seoul, Korea over one year showed a concentration range from 850CFU
Supported by : 한국학술진흥재단
- Ayliffe, G.A.J., Lowburyt, E.J.L. Airborne infection in hospital. J Hospit Infect 1982; 3: 217-240. https://doi.org/10.1016/0195-6701(82)90042-1
- Arnow, P.M., Sadigh, M., Coasts, C., Weil, D., Chudy, R. Endemic and epidemic aspergillosis associated in-hospital replication of Aspergillus organisms. J Infect Dis 1991; 1: 998-1002.
- Agranovski, I.E., Safatov, A.S., Pyankov, O.V. Monitoring of viable airborne SARS virus in ambient air. Atmos Environ 2004; 38: 3879-3884. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2004.03.044
- Lee, M.H., Han, J.S., Han, E.J. and Shin, C.G. Study on chemical components of rainfall in case of yellow dust. Kor J Atmos Environ 1989; 5: 1-11.
- Shin, E.S. and Kim, H.G. Effect of yellow dust on atmospheric airborne dust in Seoul. Kor J Meterol Soc 1992; 26: 111-120.
- Kim, W.G., Jeon, Y.S., Lee, W.H., Kim, H.M. Characteristics of yellow dust and airborne dust in Seoul: Case study. Kor J Atmos Environ 1995; 11: 199-209.
- Kim, J.H., Yeo, H.G. : Variations of airborne fungal spore composition due to the Asian dust trajectories. Kor J Atmos Environ 2004; 20: 69-76.
- Kim, K.Y., Kim, Y.S., Lee, C.M., Cho, M.S., Byeon, S.H. Atmospheric distribution characteristics of airborne bacteria in part of Seoul area. Kor J Atmos Environ 2009; 25: 493-502. https://doi.org/10.5572/KOSAE.2009.25.6.493
- Lee, C.M., Kim, Y.S., Lee, T.H., Park, W.S., Hong, S.C. Characterization of airborne bioaerosol concentration in public facilities. Kor J Environ Sci 2004; 13: 215-222. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2004.13.3.215
- Lee, C.R., Kim, K.Y., Kim, C.N., Park, D.U., Roh, J.H. Investigation on concentrations and correlations of airborne microbes and environmental factors in the general hospital. J Kor Soc Occup Environ Hyg 2005; 15: 45-51.
- Kim, K.Y., Jang, G.Y., Park, J.B., Kim, C.N., Lee, K.J. Field study of characteristics of airborne bacteria distributed in the regulated public buildings. J Kor Soc Occup Environ Hyg 2006; 16: 1-10.
- Kim, K.Y., Park, J.B., Kim, C.N., Lee, K.J. Assessment of airborne bacteria and particulate matters distributed in Seoul metropolitan subway stations. Kor J Environ Health 2006; 32: 254-261.
- Pastuszka, J.S., Paw, U.K.T., Lis, D.O., Wlazlo, A. and Ulfig, K. Bacterial aerosol in indoor environment in Upper Silesia, Poland. Atmos Environ 2000; 34: 3833-3842. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(99)00527-0
- Wu, P.C., Su, H.J., Lin, C.Y. Characteristics of indoor and outdoor fungi at suburban and urban homes in two seasons. Sci Total Environ 2000; 253: 111-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-9697(00)00423-X
- Kuo, Y.M., Li, C.S. Seasonal fungus prevalence inside and outside of domestic environments in the subtropical climate. Atmos Environ 1994: 19; 3125- 3130.
- Lighthart, B., Shaffer, B.T. Airborne bacteria in the atmospheric surface layer: temporal distribution above a grass seed field. Appl Environ Microbial 1995; 61: 1492-1496.
- Shaffer, B.T., Lighthart, B. Survey of culturable airborne bacteria at four diverse locations in Oregen: urban, rural, forest, and coastal. Microb Ecol 1997; 34: 167-177. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002489900046
- Fang, Z., Ouyang, Z., Hu, L., Wang, X., Hua, Z., Lin, X. Culturable airborne fungi in outdoor environments in Beijing, China. Sci Total Environ 2005; 350: 47-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2005.01.032
- Shelton, B., Kirkland, K.H., Flanders, W.D., Morris G.K. Profiles of airborne fungi in buildings and outdoor environments in the United States. Appl Environ Microbiol 2002; 68: 1743-1753. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.68.4.1743-1753.2002
- Ju, T.Z., Suo, A.N., Tian, Y.J. Analysis on aerobiologia in Lanzhou. Ind Saf Environ Prot 2003; 29, 17-19.
- Jones, A.M., Harrison, R.M. The effects of meteorological factors on atmospheric bioaerosol concentrations- a review. Sci Total Environ 2004; 326: 151- 180. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2003.11.021
- Reponen, T., Gazenko, S.V., Grinshpun, S.A., Willeke, K., Cole, E.C. Characterisitics of airborneactinomycete spores. Appl Environ Microbiol 1998; 64: 3807-3812.
- Marthi, B., Lighthart, B., Effects of betaine on the enumeration of airborne bacteria. Appl Environ Microbiol 1990; 56, 1286-1289.
- Walter, M.V., Marthi, B., Fieland, V.P., Ganio, L.M. Effect of aerosolization on subsequent bacterial survival. Appl Environ Microbiol 1990; 56: 3468-3472.
- Macher, J.M., Huang, F.Y., Flores, M. A two-year study of microbiological indoor air quality in a new apartment. Arch Environ Health 1991; 46, 25-29. https://doi.org/10.1080/00039896.1991.9937425
- Li, C.S., Hsu, L.Y. Home dampness and childhood respiratory symptoms in a subtropical climate. Arch Environ Health 1996; 51, 42-46. https://doi.org/10.1080/00039896.1996.9935992
- Picco, A.M., Rodolfi, M. Airborne fungi as biocontaminants at two Milan underground stations. Int Biodeterior Biodegrad 2000; 45: 43-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0964-8305(00)00047-0
- Huang, C.Y., Lee, C.C., Li, F.C., Ma, Y.P., Su, H.J.J., The seasonal distribution of bioaerosols in municipal landfill sites: a 3-yr study. Atmos Environ 2002; 36: 4385-4395. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(02)00322-9
- Hargreaves, M., Parappukkaran, S., Morawska, L., Hitchins, J., He, C., Gilbert, D. A pilot investigation into association between indoor airborne fungal and non-biological particle concentrations in residential houses in Brisbane, Australia. Sci Total Environ 2003; 312, 89-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-9697(03)00169-4
- Kuder, E.M., Seasonal variations in the occurrence of culturable airborne fungi in outdoor and indoor air in Cracow. Int Biodeterior Biodegrad 2003; 52: 203-205. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0964-8305(02)00167-1
- Adhikari, A., Sen, M.M., Gupta-Bhattacharya, S., Chanda, S. Airborne viable, non-viable, and allergenic fungi in a rural agricultural area of India: a 2- year study at five outdoor sampling stations. Sci Total Environ 2004; 326: 123-141. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2003.12.007
- Airborne Fungi Concentrations and Related Factors in the Home vol.39, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5668/JEHS.2013.39.5.438