- Volume 26 Issue 2
The Effects of Inorganic Soil Amendment on Growth of Creeping Bentgrass(Agrostis palustris) in Golf Course
무기 토양개량제가 골프장 그린의 크리핑 벤트그래스 생육에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Jae-Pil (Major in Golf Course and Turfgrass, Graduate School of Agriculture and Animal Science, Konkuk University)
- 이재필 (건국대학교 농축대학원 생명산업학과 골프장잔디전공)
- Received : 2012.05.02
- Accepted : 2012.05.25
- Published : 2012.08.31
Soil amendments have been used to improve the physical and chemical condition of turf soil, which might optimize turfgrass growth in golf courses. This study was to investigate the effect of inorganic soil amendment (ZC) established in USGA root zone system on growth of creeping bentgrass, cv. 'Penncross' carried out from May to Dec. in 2005 at the nursery on Sinwon Golf Course. To analyze the effects of inorganic soil amendment on pH, specific gravity, infiltration rate, water content, soil hardness, root length, tiller density and dry weight were measured. pH was 6.7-6.8, specific gravity of sand (S) 100% was 1.48 heavier than the other treatments (1.28-1.38). Infiltration rate with ZC 15% + peat moss (P) 5% + S 80% and ZC 10% + S 90% was faster than S 100%. Soil hardness of S 100% was the highest. Root length of creeping bentgrass of P 10% + S 90% (8.6-12.0 cm) was the longest. Tiller density with P 5% + S 95% was more 4-7 ea than other treatments in summer season. In growing season, however, ZC 10% + P 5% + S 85% was more 2-3 ea than others. Dry weight of creeping bentgrass treated by ZC 10% + P 5% + S 85% in summer season and P 5% + S 95% in growing season were heavier than other treatments. It is recommended to combine 5-15% inorganic soil amendment and peat moss 5% with sand in order to sustain soil balance.
Supported by : Yangpyo Company
- Koh, S.K., H.S. Tae, and C.H. Ryu. 2006. Effect of animal organic soil amendment on growth of korean lawngrass and Kentucky bluegrass. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 20(1):33-40. (in Korean)
- Lee, J.H., J.S. Son, I.C. Kim, and Y.K. Joo. 2007a. Effects of a forced air-flow system for recovery of turfgrass after intensive traffic injury. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 21(2):127-136. (in Korean)
- Lee, S.W., J.P. Lee and D.H. Kim. 2007b. The influence of traffic time and fertilizer type on the quality of golf course putting creens. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 22(1):65-74. (in Korean)
- Lim, S.H., J.K. Jeong, K.D. Kim, and Y.K. Joo. 2009. Effect of temperature and water content of soil on creeping bentgrass(Agrostis palustris Huds) growth. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 23(2):229-240. (in Korean)
- Ok, C.H., S.H. Anderson, and E.H. Ervin. 2004. Amendments and construction systems of improving the performance of sandbased putting greens. Kor. Turgrass Sci. 18(3):149-163.
- Tae, H.S., H.S. Lee, and K.M. An. 2006. Comparison of growth characteristics of creeping bentgrass(Agrostis palustris Huds.) cultivars in summer. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 20(2):147-156. (in Korean)
- Waltz, C. and B. McCarty. 2000. Soil amendments affect turf establishment rate. Golf Course Management(July) 59-63.
- Yoo, M.J., J.P. Lee and D.H. Kim. 2009. Analysis of maintenance expense in various golf courses. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 23(1):61-76. (in Korean)
- An, Y.T., S.T. Kim, I.S. Kim, J..W. Kim, H.J. Kim, K.Y. Shim, S.W. Yang, J.J. Lee, and S.K. Ham. 1993. Basic and practice of management of golf course. Publisher 'Korean Turfgras Institute'. (in Korean)
- Chong, S.K. and C.H. Ok. 2006. Effect of rootzone mixes amended with crumb rubber on the physical properties. Kor. Turgrass Sci. 20(1):83-91.
- Guertal, E. and C. Waltz. 2008. Adding inorganic amendments to a pooly performing green. Golf Course Management(May) 133-137.
- Hong, B.S. and H.S. Tae. 2009. Green management of using with Trinexapac-ethyl. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 23(2):287-294. (in Korean)
- Hong, B.S., H.S. Tae, S.H. O, and Y.S. Cho. 2011. The effect of foliar application to improve putting green performance. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 25(1): 94-99. (in Korean)
- Kim, Y.S., S.K. Ham, and H.J. Lim. 2010. Change of soil physicochemical properties by mixed ratio of 4 types of soil amendments used in golf course. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 24(2):205-210. (in Korean)
- Kim, Y.S., T.S. Kim, and S.K. Ham. 2009. The change of soil physicochemical properties by mixture ratio of inorganic soil amendments. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 23(2):271-278. (in Korean)