- Volume 26 Issue 2
Evaluation of Fungicides for Control of Gray Snow Mold Caused by Typhula incarnata on Cool Season Turfgrass
한지형 잔디의 설부소립균핵병 방제를 위한 살균제 평가
- Chang, Tae-Hyun (Divison of Ecology & Enviromental System, College of Ecology & Enviromental Sciences, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Lee, Seung-Jun (Divison of Ecology & Enviromental System, College of Ecology & Enviromental Sciences, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2012.06.11
- Accepted : 2012.07.06
- Published : 2012.08.31
Commercial formulation of fungicides was studied in the golf course for evaluation against Typhula incarnata causal agents of gray snow mold. Efficacies of fungicides application, fungicide mixture, fungicides applied method (irrigation and spray) and fungicides applied time (early fall and late fall) were evaluated for their influence on the chemical control of gray snow mold of turfgrass during the winter season in Yongpyeong golf course, Korea. Unsprayed control has significantly more disease severity than three fungicides (azoxystrobin, propiconazole, and tebuconazole) were applied to field plots. Effect of three fungicides was over 80% with control value for controlling gray snow mold on Kentucky bluegrass and creeping bentgrass species. Effect of fungicide mixture with different family groups had an over 93% control value of gray snow mold on Kentucky bluegrass species. It was not significantly difference in fungicidal effect according to applied method (irrigation and spray) with azoxystrobin on Kentucky bluegrass and creeping bentrasss species. Effect of fungicides applied time was a significantly difference on disease control by tebconazole early fall spray.
- Burpee, L.L. 1994. Interactions among low-temperature - tolerant fungi: prelude to biological control. Car. Plant Pathology 16:247-250. https://doi.org/10.1080/07060669409500762
- Burpee, L.L. and L.G. Goultry. 1984. Evaluation of fungicides for control of pink and gray snow mold on creeping bentgrass. Turfgrass Res., Ann Rept. Ont. Agric. Coll., Univ. Guelph pp. 6-7.
- Chang, T.H., S.W. Chang, and G. Jung. 2011. Evaluation of fungicides, nozzle type, and spray volume on control of Typhula blight on cool season turfgrass. Asian J. Turfgrass Sci. 25(2):160-170.
- Couch, H.B. 1985. Turfgrass fungicides : dilution rates, nozzle size, nozzle pressure and disease control. Golf course management 52(8):73-80.
- Dahl, A.S. 1934. Snow mold of turfgrasses as caused by Fusarium nivale. Phytopathology 24:197-214.
- Gould, C.J., R.L. Goes, R.D. Ensign, and A.G. Law. 1977. Snow mold control on turf grass with fungicides in the Pacific Northwest. Pullman,Wash. State Univ., Coll. Agric. Res. Center 849:1-7.
- Hsiang, T., N. Matsumoto, and S.M. Millett, 1999. Biology and management of Typhula snow mold of turfgrass. Plant Dis. 83:788-798. https://doi.org/10.1094/PDIS.1918.104.22.1688
- Lee, D.H. and J.W. Kim. 1992. Identification and ecology of occurrence of Typhula snow mold of graminous plants 1.characters and pathogenicity of Typhula incarnate isolated from diseased turfgrass of snow mold disease. Korean J. Plant Pathol. 8(2):101-106. (in Korean)
- Matsumoto, N. and T. Sato. 1982. The competitive saprophytic abilities of Typhula. Incarnata and T. ishikariensis. Ann. Phytopath. Soc. Japan 48:419-424. https://doi.org/10.3186/jjphytopath.48.419
- Mueller, D.S., A.E. Dorrance, R.C. Derksen, E. Ozkan, C.R. Grau, J.M. Gaska, G.C. Hartman, C.A. Bradley, and W.L. Pedersen. 2002. Efficacy of fungicides on Sclerotinia sclerotiorum and their potential for control of Sclerotinia stem rot on soybean. Plant Dis. 86:26-31 https://doi.org/10.1094/PDIS.2002.86.1.26
- Nutter, F.W., C.W. Warren, A.R. Gottlieb, and S. Justus. 1979. Chemical control of fusarium and typhula snow molds. Fungicide and Nematicide Tests 34:138.
- Smiley, R.W. and M.M. Craven. 1980. Comparisons of fungicides for controlling snow molds, 1979. Fungicide and Nematicide Tests 35:155-156.
- Smiley, R.W. 1983. Compendium of turfgrass diseases. American Pythopathological Society St. Paul, MN. p. 102.
- Smith, J.D. and W.W. Reiter. 1976. Snow mold control in bentgrass turf with fungicide 1975. Can. Plant Dis. Surv. 56:104-108.
- Smith, J.D., N. Jackson, and A.R. Woolhouse. 1989. Fungal diseases of amenity turfgrasses. E. & F. N. Spon, New York, USA. p. 75-89.
- Steve, M. 1999. Distribution, biological and molecular characterization, and aggressiveness of Typhula snow molds of Wisconsin golf course. Degree of PhD, Univ. of Wisconsin - Madison.
- Stienstra, W.C. 1980. Snow molds on Minnesota golf greens. In Proc. 3rd Int. Turfgrass Res. Conf. (Ed, J.M. Beard), Am. Soc. Agron., Crop Sci. Soc. Am., Soil Sci. Soc. Am. and Int. Turfgrass Soc. 271-274.
- Tyson, J. 1936. Snow mold injury to bentgrasses. Quart. Bull. Mich. Agr. Exp. Sta. 19:87-93.
- Vargas, J.M., J.B. Jr, Beard, and K.T. Payne. 1972. Comparative incidence of Typhula blight and Fusarium patch on 56 Kentucky bluegrass cultivars. Plant Dis. Rep. 56:32-34.