- Volume 26 Issue 2
Analysis of Research Trend on Zoysiagrass (Zoysia spp.)
한국 잔디류의 연구동향 분석
- Hyun, Yun-Hea (Dept. of Horticulture, Graduate School of Catholic University of Daegu) ;
- Choi, Byeong-Jin (Dept. of Horticulture, Graduate School of Catholic University of Daegu) ;
- Kim, Yoon-Joong (Div. of Biological Sci. and Tech., Yonsei University) ;
- Joo, Young-Kyoo (Div. of Biological Sci. and Tech., Yonsei University)
- Received : 2012.07.03
- Accepted : 2012.07.31
- Published : 2012.08.31
Korean lawn grass, which belongs to Zoysia genus in Gramineae family, is one of the major turfgrass which is widely adapted to its native niches in the temperate region of the north east Asia through tropical regions including Philippine, Thailand and Australia. The Turfgrass Information Center' database provides 5,340 descriptive records including 638 referred papers and 1,370 technical reports concerning 'Zoysia'. The database focused on researches on golf courses and lawn care industries. The researches provide informations on seed technology and use of plant protectant for pest management in turf management industries. The purpose of this study is to analyze and classify the research contents of zoysiagrasses which have been published in Korean journals. The total number of research papers published in Korean journals were 274 including 102, 38, and 134 in the 'Botanical', 'Environmental' and 'Cultural' researches, respectively. Publication in foreign journals by Korean investigators were not counted in this research. Research fields concerning golf course maintenance and plant protectant are believed to be necessary when compared to international trends. Moreover, advanced research efforts for the development of new cultivars with various environmental and disease resistance should be accomplished.
- Yu, T.Y., Yeam, D.Y., Kim, Y.J., and S.J. Kim. 1974. Morphological studies on Korean lawn grasses (Zoysia spp.). Jour. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 15(1):79-91
- 北村文雄. 1959. 日本芝の 分類學的硏究. 第1報. 日本芝の 園藝的分類について. 造園雜誌. 23(1):6-9. (in Japanese)
- 趙鏞燮. 2004. 韓國における芝生ビジネスの現場と將來について. J. Jpn. Soc. Turfgrass Sci. 32(2):106-113. (in Japanese)
- http://www.tic.msu.edu/database.html. 2011. Turfgrass Information Center's home page of the Michigan State Univ.
- Japanese Soc. of Turfgrass Sci. 2012. Japan. Soc. Turfgrass Sci., Spring Conference in 2012. Tokyo, Japan.
- Joo, Y.K., D.H. Kim, J.P. Lee, and S.Y. Mo. 1997. Presents and future prospect in zoysiagrass breeding. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 11(1):73-85. (in Korean)
- Korea Foreset Service. 2009. Case studies on utilization and industralization of turfgrass in foreign countries. Report of Academic Research of KSF Policy. (in Korean)
- Lee, H.J., G.J. Lee, D.S. Kim, J.B. Kim, J.H. Ku, and S.Y. Kang. 2008. Selection and physiological characterization of glyphosate-tolerant zoysiagrass mutants derived from a gamma ray irradiation. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 26(4):454-463. (in Korean)
- Lee, H.J., G.J. Lee, D.S. Kim, J.B. Kim, J.H. Ku, and S.Y. Kang. 2010. Cloning and characterization of a 5-enolpyruvyl shikimate 3-phosphate synthase(EPSPS) gene from Korean Lawn Grass(Zoysia japonica). Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 28(4):648-655. (in Korean)
- Lee, J.P., J.B. Kim, S.H. Im, Y.K. Joo, and D.H. Kim. 1997. Characteristics Evaluation of zoysiagrass line '232' in the tissue culture and field. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 11(4):321-326. (in Korean)
- National Turfgrass Evaluation Program (NTEP). 1994. National zoysiagrass test-1991. 1994 Progress Report NTEP. No. 95-8.
- National Turfgrass Evaluation Program (NTEP). 2012. National Zoysiagrass Test. 2010 Data Progress Report NTEP No. 11-5. http://www.NTEP.org/zg.htm.
- Seoul Nat'l Univ. 1998. 30th Anniversary of Dept. of Horticultural Sci. p.xiii. (in Korean)
- Taliaferro, C.M. and P. McMaugh. 1993. Developments in warmseason turfgrass breeding/gentics. ITSR Journal. 7:14-21.
- Yeam, D.Y., J.J. Murray, and G.R. Bauchan. 1986. Classification of zoysiagrass using morphological and isozyme traits. Agronomy Abstract. p. 139.
- Youngner, V.B. 1961. Growth and flowering of Zoysia species in response to temperature, photoperiods, and light intensities. Crop Sci. 1:91-93. https://doi.org/10.2135/cropsci1961.0011183X000100020003x
- Yu, T.Y. and S.J. Han. 1965. Effect of light, chemicals, stratification and age of seeds on germination of Zoysia japonica seeds. College of Agr., SNU: Commemorative Jour. for 60th Anniversary of the Foundation. pp. 15-18.
- Yu, T.Y. and D.Y. Youm. 1986a. The effect of prewintering application of urea on regeneration and seed production of Zoysia japonica Steud. Korean. Soc. Hort. Sci. 4:123-129.
- Yu, T.Y. and D.Y. Youm. 1986b. The effect of different lengths and IAA treatments on vegetative propagation of transplanted Zoysia japonica Steud. Korean. Soc. Hort. Sci. 4:130-135.
- Yu, T.Y. and D.Y. Youm. 1986c. The effect of seeding date, age of seed, and kind of covering soil on germination of Zoysia japonica seed. Korean. Soc. Hort. Sci. 4:136-141.
Chang, N.K. 1993. Distribution of
$C_4$type grasses in Korea. Kor. Turfgrass Sci.. 7(2-3):103-112. (in Korean)
- Chang, N.K. and J.L. Hong. 1993. Branching pattern and effective leaf area of spreading herbs, the crabgrass and the Korean lawn. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 7(2-3):95-101. (in Korean)
- Chang, N.K., J.S. Kim, B.S. Lee, and K.M. Kang. 1996. The balance of the storage and decay of DNA by producers and decomposers in the ecosystem of a Zoysia japonica grassland. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 10(4):275-283. (in Korean)
- Chang, N.K., J.S. Kim, and K.M. Kang. 1995. The energy flow and mineral cycles in a Zoysia japonica and Miscanthus sinensis ecosystem on Mt. Kwanak 3. The cycles of nitrogen. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 9(4):265-273. (in Korean)
- Choi, J.S. and G.M. Yang. 2004. Development of new hybrid cultivar 'Senock' in zoysiagrass. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 18(4):201-210. (in Korean)
- Christians, N.E. 2007. Fundamentals of turfgrass management. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ.
- Emmons, R.D. 1995. Turfgrass science and management. Delmar Publishers. pp. 40-41.
- Engelke, M.C. and J.J. Murray. 1989. Zoysiagrass breeding and cultivar development. The 6th International Turfgrass Research Conference, Tokyo. July 31-August. pp. 423-425.
- Engelke, M.C., J.J. Murray, and D.Y. Yeam. 1983. Distributive collection and use of zoysiagrass in the Far East, Part ll. Agronomy Abstract. pp.123-125.
- Fukuoka, H. 1990. Breeding Zoysia spp. J. Japan. Soc. Turfgrass Sci. 17:185-190.
- Fukuoka, H. 1992. Inter and intraspecific variation in ecotype of Zoysia spp. Japan. J. Breed. 42:282-283.
- Fukuoka, H. 1997. Breeding of Zoysia in Japan. International Symposium of Zoysiagrass Breeding. Dankook Univ. at Chunahan, Korea.
- Honda, H. 1971. Comparative morphological studies of representative three species Zoysia lawn grasses. The Transactions of Faculty of Horticulture, Chiba Univ., No. 5.
- Hong, K.H. and D.Y. Yeam. 1985. Studies on interspecific hybridization in Korean lawngrasses (Zoysia spp.). J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci.. 26(2):167-178. (in Korean)
- Beard, J.B. 1973. Turfgrass science and culture. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.