- Volume 25 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Use of Awamori-pressed Lees and Tofu Lees as Feed Ingredients for Growing Female Goats
- Nagamine, Itsuki (Faculty of Agriculture, University of the Ryukyus) ;
- Sunagawa, Katsunori (Faculty of Agriculture, University of the Ryukyus) ;
- Kishi, Tetsuya (Faculty of Agriculture, University of the Ryukyus)
- Received : 2012.07.03
- Accepted : 2012.09.03
- Published : 2012.12.01
Okinawan Awamori is produced by fermenting steamed indica rice with black mold, yeast, and water. Awamori-pressed lees is a by-product of the Awamori production process. Tofu lees is a by-product of the Tofu production process. This research consisted of two experiments conducted to elucidate whether or not dried Awamori-pressed lees and Tofu lees can be used as a mixed feed ingredient for raising female goats. In experiment 1, digestion trials were conducted to ascertain the nutritive values of dried Awamori-pressed lees and dried Tofu lees for goats. The digestible crude protein (DCP) and total digestible nutrients (TDN) contents of dried Awamori-pressed lees and Tofu lees were 22.5%, 22.5% (DCP), and 87.2%, 94.4% (TDN) respectively. In experiment 2, 18 female goats (Japanese Saanen
- Alvarez, P., C. Alvarado, F. Mathieu, L. Jimenez and M. De la Fuente. 2006. Diet supplementation for 5 weeks with polyphenol-rich cereals improves several functions and the redox state of mouse leucocytes. Eur. J. Nutr. 45:428-438. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00394-006-0616-9
- Anil, M. H., J. N. Mbanya, H. W. Symonds and J. M. Forbes. 1993. Responses in the voluntary intake of hay or silage by lactating cows to intraruminal infusions of sodium acetate, sodium propionate or rumen distension. Br. J. Nutr. 69:699-712. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19930071
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis. 15th Ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, Virginia, USA.
- Barbosa, A. C. L., F. M. Lajolo and M. I. Genovese. 2011. Effect of free or protein-associated soy isoflavones on the antioxidant status in rats. J. Sci. Food Agric. 91:721-731. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.4242
- Bortone, E. J., J. L. Morrill and J. S. Stevenson. 1994. Growth of heifers fed 100 or 115% of National Research Council requirements to 1 year of age and then changed to another treatment. J. Daily Sci. 77:270-277. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(94)76951-4
- Cheema, A. U., M. L. Galyean, J. S. Caton and A. S. Freeman. 1991. Influence of protein levels and naloxone on intake, nitrogen metabolism and digestion kinetics in lambs fed oat hay or barley straw. Small Rumin. Res. 5:35-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/0921-4488(91)90028-O
- Eiselt, N., H. Wagner and A. Wehrend. 2011. Haematologic parameters in goats. Ieraerztliche Praxis Ausgabe Grosstiere Nutztiere 39:49-55.
- Fao. 2008. The Investment Imperative, paper from the FAO High Level Conference on World Food Security: The Challenges of Climate Change and Bioenergy. Food and Agriculture Organization, Rome.
- Fujioka, M., Y. Sudo, M. Okumura, J. Wu, M. Uehara, K. Takeda, Y. Hosokawa, K. Yamada, S. Ikegami and Y. Ishimine. 2007. Differential effects of isoflavones on bone formationin growing male and female mice. Metabolism 56:1142-1148. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2007.04.008
- Fujitani, Y., S. Nobuhara, S. Ohtani, K. Nishimura, S. Mohri and T. Ohishi. 2000. Effect of both full-fat rice bran and Tofu cake diets on feed intake and weight grain in Holstein steers. Bulletin of Osaka Agriculture and Forestry Research Center 36:48-52.
- Fukuda, M., Y. Sugihara, M. Itou, R. Horiuchi and H. Asao. 2006. Effects of feeding with Okara on plasma and liver lipid levels in rats. Nippon Shokuhin Kagaku Kogaku Kaishi (Jpn.) 53: 195-199.
- Genovese, M. I., J. Davila and F. M. Lajolo. 2006. Isoflavones in processed soybean products from ecuador. Braz. Arch. Biol. Technol. 49:853-859. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-89132006000600020
- Huuskonen, A., P. Lamminen and E. Joki-Tokola. 2009. The effect of concentrate level and concentrate composition on the performance of growing dairy heifers reared and finished for beef production. Acta Agric. Scand. 59:220-229.
- Inada, S., T. Kola and Y. Isozaki. 2003. Composition and digestive characteristics of steam dried Tofu cake for feed of cattle. The West Japan Journal of Animal Science 46:23-27.
- Jia, Z. H., T. Sahlu, J. M. Femandez, S. P. Hart and T. H. Teh. 1995. Effects of dietary protein level on performance of Angora and cashmere-producing Spanish goats. Small Rumin. Res. 16: 113-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/0921-4488(95)00616-S
- Kato Y. 1988. Shiryo Bunseki kijun tyuukai. Nihon Shiryo Kyoukai, Tokyo.
- Kokkonen, U. M., P. Riskilä, M. T. Roihankorpi and T. Soveri. 2001. Circadian variation of plasma atrial natriuretic peptide, cortisol and fluid balance in the goat. Acta Physiol. Scand. 171:1-8.
- Lengemann, F. W. and N. N. Allen. 1955. The development of rumen function in the dairy calf: 1. Some characteristics of the rumen contents of cattle of various ages. J. Dairy Sci. 38:651-656. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(55)95019-0
- Mbassa, G. K. and J. S. D. Poulsen. 1991. The influence of pregancy, lactation and environment on hematological values in Danish Landrace goats (Capra Hircus) of different parity: 1. Electrolytes and enzymes. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 100:413-422. https://doi.org/10.1016/0300-9629(91)90492-U
- NARO. 2010. Standard tables of feed composition in Japan (2009). National Agriculture and Food Research Organization, Tokyo, JAPAN. pp. 80-93.
- Negesse, T., M. Rodehutscord and E. Pfeffer. 2001. The effect of dietary crude protein level on intake, growth, protein retention and utilization of growing male Saanen kids. Small Rumin. Res. 39:243-251. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(00)00193-0
- NRC. 2006. Nutrient requirements of small ruminants. National research council. The national academies. Washington, DC, USA. pp. 271-299.
- Okada, T., T. Sugishita, T. Murakami, H. Murai, T. Saikusa, T. Horino, A. Onoda, O. Kajimoto, R. Takahashi and T. Takahashi. 2000. Effect of the defatted rice germ enriched with GABA for sleeplessness, depression, autonomic disorder by oral administration. Nippon Shokuhin Kagaku Kogaku Kaishi (Jpn.) 47:596-603. https://doi.org/10.3136/nskkk.47.596
- Pathak, N. N., N. Kewalramani and D. N. Kamra. 1992. Intake and digestibility of oats (Avena sativa) and berseem (Trifolium alexandrinum) in adult black buck (Antilope cervicapra). Small Rumin. Res. 8:265-268. https://doi.org/10.1016/0921-4488(92)90047-8
- Saeki, M. 2007. The characteristic and the utilization of Eco-feed for swine. Proceedings of Japanese Society for Animal Nutrition and Metabolism 51:15-20.
- SAS. 1990. SAS/STAT user's guide: Volume 2, Version 6. 4th Ed. SAS Institute Inc., SAS Campus Drive, Cary, NC 27513.
- Scott, B., M. Clements, C. Griffiths and J. Ihrig. 2009. Biofuels impact on crop and food prices: Using an interactive spreadsheet. International Finance Discussion Papers 967:1-30.
- Skotinicka, E., Z. Muszczyński and M. Suska. 2011. Effect of the periparturient period on serum lipid and cholesterol lipoprotein concentrations in goat (Capra Hircus). Acta Vet. Hung. 59: 445-454. https://doi.org/10.1556/AVet.2011.032
- Takaya, Y., T. Furukawa, S. Miura, T. Akutagawa, Y. Hotta, N. Ishikawa and M. Niwa. 2007. Antioxidant constituents in distillation residue of Awamori spirits. J. Agric. Food Chem. 55:75-79. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf062029d
- Tamaki, M., H. Shimabukuro, S. Okano and T. Namihira. 2005. The availability of Awamori-moromi vinegar residues as the dairy cattle feed. The West Japan Journal of Animal Science 48:65-67.
- Tang, C. H., C. S. Chang, T. W. Tan, S. C. Liu and J. F. Liu. 2010. The novel isoflavone derivatives inhibit RANKL-induced osteoclast formation. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 648:59-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2010.08.052