- Volume 7 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Intelligent Coordination Method of Multiple Distributed Resources for Harmonic Current Compensation in a Microgrid
- Kang, Hyun-Koo (School of Electrical Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Yoo, Choel-Hee (School of Electrical Engineering, Kookmin University) ;
- Chung, Il-Yop (School of Electrical Engineering, Kookmin University) ;
- Won, Dong-Jun (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, INHA University) ;
- Moon, Seung-Il (School of Electrical Engineering, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2011.12.08
- Accepted : 2012.09.10
- Published : 2012.11.01
Nonlinear electronic loads draw harmonic currents from the power grids that can cause energy loss, miss-operation of power equipment, and other serious problems in the power grids. This paper proposes a harmonic compensation method using multiple distributed resources (DRs) such as small distributed generators (DGs) and battery energy storage systems (BESSs) that are integrated to the power grids through power inverters. For harmonic compensation, DRs should inject additional apparent power to the grids so that certain DRs, especially operated in proximity to their rated power, may possibly reach their maximum current limits. Therefore, intelligent coordination methods of multiple DRs are required for efficient harmonic current compensation considering the power margins of DRs, energy cost, and the battery state-of-charge. The proposed method is based on fuzzy multi-objective optimization so that DRs can cooperate with other DRs to eliminate harmonic currents with optimizing mutually conflicting multi-objectives.
- J. Arrillaga and N.R. Watson, Power System Harmonics: John Wiley and Sons, 2003.
- E.F. Fuchs and M.A.Masoum, Power Quality in Power Systems and Electrical Machines, Academic Press, 2008.
- Power System Harmonics, Rockwell Automation, 2001.
- Recommended Practices and Requirements for Harmonic Control in Electric Power Systems, IEEE Standard 519, 1992
- Assessment of Emission Limits for Distorting Loads in MV and HV Power Systems, IEC 1000-3-6, 1996.
- H. Fujuta and H. Akagi, "The Unified Power Quality Conditioner: The Integration of Series- and Shunt- Active Filters," IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 315-322, Mar. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.662847
- S. Bhattacharya, T.M. Frank, D.M. Divan, B. Banerjee, "Active filter system implementation," IEEE Industry Application Magazine, Vol. 4, No. 5, pp. 47-63, Sep/Oct. 1998.
- S. Leng, I. Chung, C.S. Edrington, and D.A. Cartes, "Coordination of Multiple Adjustable Speed Drives for Power Quality Improvement," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 81, No. 6, pp. 1227-1237, Jun. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2011.01.012
- R.H. Lasseter, "Control and Design of Microgrid Components," PSERC Final Report, Jan. 2007.
- N. Hatziargyriou, H. Asano, R. Iravani, and C. Marnay, "Microgrids," IEEE Power & Energy Magazine, pp. 78-94, Jul./Aug. 2007.
- I. Chung, W. Liu, D. Cartes, E. Collins, and S. Moon, "Control Methods for Multiple Distributed Generators in a Microgrid System," IEEE Trans. Industry Applications, Vol. 46, No. 3, pp. 1078-1088, May/June 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2010.2044970
- J.A. Lopes, N. Hatziargyriou, J. Mutale, P. Djapic, and N. Jenkins, "Integrating distributed generation into electric power systems," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 77, No. 9, pp. 1189-1203, Jul. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2006.08.016
- K. Nguyen, D. Won, S. Ahn, and I. Chung, "Power Sharing Method for a Grid-Connected Microgrid with Multiple Distributed Generators," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 459-467, July 2012. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2012.7.4.459
- R. Liang and Y. Wang, "Fuzzy-Based Reactive Power and Voltage Control in a Distribution System," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 610-618, Apr. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2003.809740
- B. Venkatesh, G. Sadasivam, and M. Khan, "A new optimal reactive power scheduling method for loss minimization and voltage stability margin maximization using successive multi-objective fuzzy LP technique," IEEE Trans. Power Systems, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 844-851, May. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.867183
- Y. Huang, "Enhanced genetic algorithm-based fuzzy multi-objective approach to distribution network reconfiguration," Generation, Transmission and Distribution, IEE Proceedings, Vol. 149, No. 5, pp. 615-620, Sep. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-gtd:20020512
- Y. Ji, J. Kim, S. Park, J. Kim, and C. Won, "Clanguage based PV array simulation technique considering effects of partial shading," IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology 2009, pp. 1-6, Feb. 2009.
- X. Liu, L. Lopes, "An improved perturbation and observation maximum power point tracking algorithm for PV arrays," Proc. of the IEEE 35th Anuual Power Electronics Specialists Conference 2004, Vol. 3, pp. 2005-2010.
- H. Lee, W. Chae, J. Park, J. Kim, and C. Kim, "The development & performance test of 10kW power conditioning system for microgrid," Journal of the Korean Institute of Illuminating and Electrical Installation Engineers, Vol. 26, No. 7, pp. 55-62, 2011.
- J. Kwon, K. Nam, and B. Kwon "Photovoltaic Power Conditioning System With Line Connection," IEEE Trans. Industrial Electronics, Vol. 53, No. 4, pp. 1048- 1054, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2006.878329
- S. Teleke, M. Baran, S. Bhattacharya, and A. Huang, "Rule-Based Control of Battery Energy Storage for Dispatching Intermittent Renewable Sources," IEEE Trans. Sustainable Energy, Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 117-124, Oct. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2010.2061880
- L. Qian, D. Cartes, H. Li, "An improved adaptive detection method for power quality improvement," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl. 44 (2) (2008) 525-533. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2008.916740
- S. Leng, W. Liu, I. Chung, and D. Cartes, "Active power filter for three-phase current harmonic cancellation and reactive power compensation," in Proc. American Control Conference, St. Louis, Missouri, June 10-12, 2009, pp. 2140-2147
- H.Z. Huang, "Fuzzy multi-objective optimization decision-making of reliability of series system," Microelectron. Reliab., Vol. 37, No. 3, pp. 447-449, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0026-2714(96)00040-6
- R.A. Ribeiro, "Fuzzy multiple attribute decision making: A review and new preference elicitation techniques," Fuzzy Sets and Systems, Vol. 78, pp. 155-181, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-0114(95)00166-2
- T.J. Ross, Fuzzy logic with engineering applications, 3rd ed. Wiley, 2010.
- R.E. Bellman and L.A. Zadeh, "Decision-making in a fuzzy environment,' Management Science, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 141-164, 1970. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.17.4.B141
- C. Yoo, I. Chung, S. Hong, W. Chae, and J. Kim, "A Feasibility Study on DC Microgrids Considering Energy Efficiency," The Transactions of the KIEE, Vol. 60, No. 9, pp. 1674-1683, Sep. 2011.
- R. Chan, J. Crider, C. Harianto, J. Lian, J. Neely, S. Pekarek, S. Sudhoff, and N. Vaks, "A Medium Voltage DC Testbed for Ship Power System Research," ESTS 2009, pp. 560-567.
- Model Predictive Control with Modulated Optimal Vector for a Three-Phase Inverter with an LC Filter vol.33, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2017.2694049
- A Grid Voltage Measurement Method for Wind Power Systems during Grid Fault Conditions vol.7, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3390/en7117732
- Intelligent voltage control strategy for three-phase UPS inverters with outputLCfilter vol.102, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1080/00207217.2014.966781
- Design and Stability Analysis of a Fuzzy Adaptive SMC System for Three-Phase UPS Inverter vol.14, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.4.704
- Design and implementation of a new modified sliding mode controller for grid-connected inverter to controlling the voltage and frequency vol.61, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.isatra.2015.11.023
- A Three-Phase Inverter for a Standalone Distributed Generation System: Adaptive Voltage Control Design and Stability Analysis vol.29, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2013.2288774
- Intelligent Control of Battery Energy Storage for Multi-Agent Based Microgrid Energy Management vol.6, pp.12, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3390/en6104956
- An Observer-Based Optimal Voltage Control Scheme for Three-Phase UPS Systems vol.62, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2351777
- Finite Control Set Model Predictive Control for Parallel Connected Online UPS System under Unbalanced and Nonlinear Loads vol.12, pp.4, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3390/en12040581