- Volume 32 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of the quality of Italian Ryegrass Silages by Near Infrared Spectroscopy
근적외선 분광법을 이용한 이탈리안 라이그라스 사일리지의 품질 평가
- Park, Hyung-Soo (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Lee, Sang-Hoon (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Choi, Ki-Choon (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Lim, Young-Chul (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Jong-Gun (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Jo, Kyu-Chea (KC Tech.) ;
- Choi, Gi-Jun (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA)
- 박형수 (국립축산과학원) ;
- 이상훈 (국립축산과학원) ;
- 최기춘 (국립축산과학원) ;
- 임영철 (국립축산과학원) ;
- 김종근 (국립축산과학원) ;
- 조규채 (케이씨테크) ;
- 최기준 (국립축산과학원)
- Received : 2012.08.16
- Accepted : 2012.09.19
- Published : 2012.09.30
Near infrared reflectance spectroscopy (NIRS) has become increasingly used as a rapid and accurate method of evaluating some chemical compositions in forages. This study was carried out to explore the accuracy of near infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) for the prediction of chemical parameters of Italian ryegrass silages. A population of 267 Italian ryegrass silages representing a wide range in chemical parameters and fermentative characteristics was used in this investigation. Samples of silage were scanned at 2 nm intervals over the wavelength range 680~2,500 nm and the optical data recorded as log 1/Reflectance (log 1/R) and scanned in intact fresh condition. The spectral data were regressed against a range of chemical parameters using partial least squares (PLS) multivariate analysis in conjunction with spectral math treatments to reduced the effect of extraneous noise. The optimum calibrations were selected on the basis of the highest coefficients of determination in cross validation (
- Adesogan, A.T., E. Owen and D.I. Givens. 1998. Prediction of the in vivo digestibility of whole crop wheat from in vitro digestibility, chemical composition, in situ rumen degradability, in vitro gas production and near infrared reflectance spectroscopy. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 74:259- 272. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(98)00175-8
- ANKOM Technology. 2005a. Method for determining neutral detergent fiber. ANKOM Technology, Fairport, NY. http://www.ankom.com/09_procedures/procedures2.shtml. Accessed May 8, 2005.
- ANKOM Technology. 2005b. Method for determining acid detergent fiber. ANKOM Technology, Fairport, NY. http://www.ankom.com/09_procedures/proceduresl.shtml. Accessed May 8, 2005
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis, 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC.
- Baker, C.W., D.I. Givens and E.R. Deaville. 1994. Prediction of organic matter digestibility in vivo of grass silage by near infrared reflectance spectroscopy: effect of calibration method, residual moisture and particle size. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 50: 17-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(94)90006-X
- Clark, D.H., H.F. Mayland and R.C. Lamb. 1987. Mineral analysis of forages with near IR reflectance spectroscopy. Agron. J. 79: 485-490. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1987.00021962007900030016x
- Deaville and Flynn. 2000. Near infrared reflectance spectroscopy: An alternative approach to forage quality evaluation. In Givens et al. 2000. Forage evaluation in animal nutrition. Page 201. CABI, Wallingford.
- Fussel, R.J and D.V. McCalley. 1987. Determination of volatile fatty acids (C2-C5) and lactic acid in silage by gas chromatography. Analyst. 112:1213-1216. https://doi.org/10.1039/an9871201213
- Garcia-Cuidad, A., B. Garcia-Criado, M.E. Pérez- Corona, B.R. Vázquez de Aldana and A.N. Ruano-Ramos. 1993. Application of near-infrared reflectance spectroscopy to chemical analysis of heterogeneous and botanically complex grassland samples. J. Sci. Food Agric. 63:419-426. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740630407
- Geladi, P., D. MacDougall and H. Martens. 1985. Linearization and scatter-correction for nearinfrared reflectance spectra of meat. Appl. Spectrosc. 39:491-500. https://doi.org/10.1366/0003702854248656
- Givens, D.I., J.L. De Boever and E.R. Deaville. 1997. The principles, practices and some future applications of near infrared spectroscopy for predicting the nutritive value of foods for animals and humans. Nutr. Res. Rev. 10:83-114. https://doi.org/10.1079/NRR19970006
- Goering, H.K. and P.J. Van Soest. 1970. Forage Fiber Analysis. Agric. Handb. 379. US Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC.
- Gordon, F.J., K.M. Cooper, R.S. Park and R.W.J. Steen. 1998. The prediction of intake potential and organic matter digestibility of grass silages by near infrared spectroscopy analysis of undried samples. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 70:339-351. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(97)00087-4
- Holland, C., W. Kezar, W.P. Kautz, E.J. Lazowski, W.C. Mahanna, and R. Reinhart. 1990. The Pioneer Forage Manual-A Nutritional Guide. Pioneer Hi-Bred Int. Inc., Des Moines, IA.
- Hruschka, W.R. 1987. Data analysis: wavelength selection methods. In P. Williams and K. Norris (eds.) Near-Infrared Technology in the Agricultural and Food Industries. St. Paul, MN: Am. Assoc. of Cereal Chemists Inc., p. 35-55.
- Park, R.S., R.E. Agnew, F.J. Gordon and R.W.J. Steen. 1998. The use of near infrared reflectance spectroscopy (NIRS) on undried samples of grass silage to predict chemical composition and digestibility parameters. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 72:155-167. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(97)00175-2
- Reeves III, J.B and T.H. Blosser. 1989. Near infrared reflectance spectroscopy for analyzing undried silage. J. Dairy Sci. 72: 79-88. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(89)79082-2
- Reeves, J.B. and T.H. Blosser. 1991. Near infrared spectroscopic organic matter digestibility in vivo of grass silage by near infrared reflectance spectroscopy: Effect of calibration method, residual analysis of undried silages as influenced by sample grind, presentation method, and spectral region. J. Dairy Sci. 74:882-895. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78237-4
- Shenk, J.S and M.O. Westerhaus. 1991a. Population definition, sample selection, and calibration procedures for near infrared reflectance spectroscopy. Crop Sci. 31:469-474. https://doi.org/10.2135/cropsci1991.0011183X003100020049x
- Shenk, J.S and M.O. Westerhaus. 1991b. Population structuring of near infrared spectra and modified partial least squares regression. Crop Sci. 31:1548-1555. https://doi.org/10.2135/cropsci1991.0011183X003100060034x
- Sørensen, L.K. 2004. Prediction of fermentation parameters in grass and corn silage by near infrared spectroscopy. J. Dairy Sci. 87(11):3826- 35. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(04)73522-5
- Valdes, E.V., R.B. Hunter and L. Pinter. 1987. Determination of quality parameters by near infrared reflectance spectroscopy in whole-plant corn silage. Can. J. Plant Sci. 67:747-754. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjps87-102
- Whetsel, K.B. 1968. Near infrared spectrophotometry. Appl. Spectros. Rev. 2:1-67. https://doi.org/10.1080/05704926808050886
- Prediction of the Chemical Composition of Fresh Whole Crop Barley Silages by Near Infrared Spectroscopy vol.33, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2013.33.3.171
- Prediction of the Chemical Composition and Fermentation Parameters of Winter Rye Silages by Near Infrared Spectroscopy vol.34, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2014.34.3.209