- Volume 32 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Harvest Stage on Agronomic Characteristics, Yield and Feed Value of Silage Corn in the Newly Reclaimed Hilly Land
산지 신개간 토양에서 사료용 옥수수 수확시기가 생육특성, 생산성 및 사료가치에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2012.06.19
- Accepted : 2012.08.12
- Published : 2012.09.30
This study was carried out to investigate growth characteristics, yield, chemical compositions and nutrients yield of corn hybrids for silage in the newly reclaimed hilly land. The experimental design was arranged in a randomized block design with three replications. The seeding time was at May 6. The harvest time of four treatments was milk stage (97 days), dough stage (105 days), yellow stage (112 days) and late yellow stage (119 days after seeding). Plant height, ear height, leaf numbers and ear length were highest in yellow stage (p<0.05, 0.01), but dead leaf, stem hardness and sugar degree (Brix) were higher in late yellow than other treatments. Leaf width, tip filling degree and fresh yield were not significantly different. Dry matter yield increased as the maturity stage progressed (p<0.01). Crude protein and crude fat were not significantly different. NDF and ADF decreased as the maturity stage progressed (p<0.01). Ca content was the highest at milk stage (p<0.05), Fe and P were the highest at dough stage (p<0.05, 0.01). However another minerals were not significantly different. Essential amino acid (EAA), nonessential amino acid (NEAA) and total amino acid were highest at yellow stage, but no significant differences were found among the treatments. Total free sugar contents were higher in the order of Milk > dough > yellow > late yellow stage, but no significant differences were found among the treatments. Crude protein yield was the highest at yellow stage, but crude fat yield, amino acid yield and TDN yield were highest at late yellow stage (p<0.01). Total mineral yield showed no significant difference. Based on the above results, yellow and late yellow stage compared to other maturity stage have been shown to increase dry matter yield and nutrients yield, when silage corn grow cultivate in the newly reclaimed hilly land.
Silage corn;Newly reclaimed hilly land;Nutritional components
- Alegre, J.C., D.K. Cassel and D.E. Bandy. 1986. Effects of land clearing and subsequent management on soil physical properties. Soil Sci. Soc. Ame. J. 50:1379-1384. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1986.03615995005000060002x
- AOAC. 1995. Official Methods of analysis. 16th ed. Association of analytical chemist, Washington, DC., USA.
- Aono, H., Y. Yanase and S. Tanaka. 1981. Studies on the development and distribution of roots and its soil conservation faculty in the plants. 4. Influences of subsoil improvement and irrigation on the development of tea roots. Japanese J. Crop Sci. 50(3):276-281. https://doi.org/10.1626/jcs.50.276
- Cho, J.H. and K.R. Kim. 1997. Effects of bulk density, volumetric water and gravel contents on hardness in prepared sandy loam. Kor. J. Soil Sci. Fert. 30(1):46-50.
- Goering, H.K. and P.J. Van Soest. 1970. Forage fiber analysis. Ag. Handbook. No. 379. ARS. USDA. Washington DC.
- Holland, C., Kezar, W., Kezar, W.P., Kautz, E.J. Lazowski, W.C. Mahanna and R. Reinhart. 1990. The pioneer forage manual; A nutritional guide. Pioneer Hi-Bred., Des Moines, IA.
- Hunt, C.W., W. Kezar and R. Vinande. 1992. Yield, chemical composition and ruminal ferment ability of corn whole plant, ear and stover as affected by hybrid. J. Prod. Agric. 5:286-290. https://doi.org/10.2134/jpa1992.0286
- Hur, B.K., K.S. Lee and W.K. Jung. 1994. The soil improvement and plant growth on the newly reclaimed sloped land. VII. annual changes of soil physical and chemical properties and yield of Job's tears (Coix lacryma-jobi L.). Kor. J. Soil Sci. Fert. .27(2):105-110.
- Hur, B.K. and M.S. Kim. 1991. The soil improvement and plant growth on the newly-reclaimed sloped land. VI. relationship between annual changes of soil physico chemical properties and yield of silage corn. J. Kor. Grassl. Sci. 11(1):22-29.
- Hur, B.K. and M.S. Kim. 1995. Economic evaluation of crops grown under different soil improvement methods in newly-reclaimed sloped land. J. Kor. Soc. Soil Sci. Fert. 28(3):256-260.
- Hwang, K.J., H.S. Park, N.G. Park, H.Y. Jeong, M.S. Ko, M.C. Kim, S.T. Song and D.W. Kim. 2009. Effect of cattle manure application on mineral contents of grazing pasture. J. Kor. Grassl. Forage Sci. 29(1):37-42. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2009.29.1.037
- Jeon, B.T., S.H. Moon and S.M. Lee. 1989. Studies on the productivity and adaptability of foreign or domestic corn silage in Chungju areas. J. Kor. Jungwoon Res. Kon Kuk. Uni. 8:3-12.
- Ji, H.C., J.K. Lee, K.Y. Kim, S.H. Yoon, Y.C. Lim, O.D. Kwon and H.B. Lee. 2009a. Evaluation of agronomic characteristics, forage production and quality of corn hybrids for silage at paddy field in southern region of Korea. J. Kor. Grassl. Forage Sci. 29(1):13-18. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2009.29.1.013
- Ji, H.C., W.H. Kim, K.Y. Kim, S.H. Lee, S.H. Yoon and Y.C. Lim. 2009b. Effect of different drained conditions on growth, forage production and quality of silage corn at paddy field. J. Kor. Grassl. Forage Sci. 29(4):329-336. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2009.29.4.329
- Kang, B.K., Y.M. Park and Y.K. Kang. 2001. Nutrient uptake and leaching under different fertilizer treatment for corn and potato growth in volcanic ash soil. Kor. J. Crop Sci. 46(3):253-259.
- Kim, C.H., S.C. Park, H.W. Lee and H.K. Kang. 1998. Comparison of growth characteristics, forage yield and growth analysis in corn hybrids for silage production. J. Kor. Grassl. Sci. 18(2):79-88.
- Kim, D.A., K.N. Lee, D.E. Shin, J.D. Kim and K.J. Han. 1996. Effect of planting date on forage yield and quality of corn hybrids of four maturity groups. J. Kor. Grassl. Sci. 16(4):327-337.
- Kim, D.A. and W.H. Kim. 1993. Effects of winter annual forage crops on growth, yield and quality of silage corn. J. Kor. Grassl. Sci. 13(2): 122-131.
- Kim, J.D., C.H. Kwon, S.G. Kim, H.S. Park, H. J. Ko and J.K. Kim. 2002. Effect of harvest stage on forage yield and quality of silage corn at late planting. J. Kor. Anim. Sci. & Technol. 44(2): 251-260. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2002.44.2.251
- Kim, J.D., D.A. Kim, J.G. Lee and H.Y. Lee. 1999. Yield and quality of corn for silage as affected by hybrid and kernel milk line stage. Kor. J. Dairy Sci. 21(3):207-220.
- Kim, L.Y., J.N. Im and K.T. Um. 1981. Differences in soil productivities between the cut site and fill site in a newly reclaimed land. Kor. J. Soil Sci. Fert. 14(4):190-194.
- Kim, S.L., S.U. Park, S.W. Cha, J.H. Seo and T. W. Jung. 1994. Changes of major quality characters during grain filling in waxy corn and super sweet corn. Kor.. J. Crop Sci. 39:73-78.
- Kim, W.H. and D.A. Kim. 1996. Effects of previous crop residues on growth and yield of corn for silage. J. Kor. Grassl. Sci. 16(4):299-306.
- Kim, W.S., J.H. Hwang, J.H. Lee, E.J. Kim, B. T. Jeon, S.H. Moon and S.M. Lee. 2012. A comparative study on the growth characteristics and nutritional components of corn hybrids for silage at paddy field cultivation. J. Kor. Grassl. Forage Sci. 32(1):15-18. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2012.32.1.15
- Lee, J.K., H.S. Park, Y.G. Kim, J.W. Chung, K. J. Na, M.C. Kim, S.C. Lee and W.B. Yook. 2004a. Effect of the seeding and harvesting dates on the growth characteristics, dry matter yield and quality of corn for silage in alpine areas. J. Kor. Grassl. Sci. 24(2):115-122. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2004.24.2.115
- Lee, S.H., I.G. Hwang, H.Y. Kim, H.K. Lee, S. H. Lee, S.H. Woo, J.S. Lee and H.S. Jeong. 2010. Physicochemical property and antioxidant activity of Daehak waxy corns with different harvest times. J. Kor.. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 39(5): 719-724. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.5.719
- Lee, S.M and J.H. Lee. 2010. Effects of seeding dates and growth periods on the growth characteristics, dry matter yield and feed value of corn for silage in paddy field. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. & Techno. 52(5):441-448. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.5.441
- Lee, S.M., B.T. Kim, J.H. Hwang, B.T. Jeon and S.H. Moon. 2007. Effect of plowing frequency and sowing dates on the agronomic characteristics, feed value, weed yield and palatability of silage corn. J. Kor. Grassl. Sci. 27(3):209-218. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2007.27.3.209
- Lee, S.S., K.Y. Park and S.K. Jung. 1981. Growth duration and grain and silage yields of maize at different planting dates. Kor. J. Crop Sci. 26(4):337-343.
- Lee, S.S., S.H. Yun, J.M. Seo, S.K. Yang, H.K. Kim, S.H. Ryu, J.Y. Park and S.K. Kim. 2004b. Silage productivity of Kor. improved and introduced maize hybrids. J. Kor. Grassl. Sci. 24 (4):323-334. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2004.24.4.323
- Lim. S.H and D.A. Kim. 1996. Effect of different harvest dates on dry matter yield and forage quality of corn (Zea mays L.). J. Kor. Grassl. Sci. 16(1):75-80
- Park, C.S., S.C. Yang, G.J. Lee, J.T. Lee, H.M. Kim, S.H. Park, D.H. Kim, A.Y. Jung and S.W. Hwang. 2006. Spatial variability of soil moisture content, soil penetration resistance and crop yield on the leveled upland in the reclaimed highland. Kor. J. Soil Sci. Fert. 39(3):123-135.
- Shin, D.E., D.A. Kim, H.L. Choi, K.C. Song, H. H. Lee, W.H. Kim and E.S. Chung. 1999. Studies on the liquid manure application for silage corn. J. Kor. Soc. Soil Sci. 32(1):22-30.
- Son, B.Y., J.T. Kim, S.Y. Song, S.B. Baek, C.K. Kim and J.D. Kim. 2009. Comparison of yield and forage quality of silage corns at different planting dates. J. Kor. Grassl. Forage Sci. 29(3): 179-186. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2009.29.3.179
- Effects of Mixed Application of Chemical Fertilizer and Liquid Swine Manure on Agronomic Characteristics, Yield and Feed Value of Sorghum × Sudangrass Hybrid for Silage in Paddy Field Cultivation vol.34, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2014.34.3.155
Supported by : 경북대학교