- Volume 48 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Isolation of Biogenic Amines-Degrading Strains of Bacillus subtilis and Bacillus amyloliquefaciens from Traditionally Fermented Soybean Products
전통장류에서 Biogenic Amines 분해 능력을 가지는 Bacillus subtilis 및 Bacillus amyloliquefaciens 균주의 분리
- Kim, Yong-Sang (Department of Biological Sciences, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Cho, Sung-Ho (Sunchang Research Center for Fermentation Microbes (SRCM)) ;
- Jeong, Do-Yeon (Sunchang Research Center for Fermentation Microbes (SRCM)) ;
- Uhm, Tai-Boong (Department of Biological Sciences, Chonbuk National University)
- Received : 2012.09.03
- Accepted : 2012.09.26
- Published : 2012.09.30
In order to reduce harmful biogenic amines in the traditionally fermented soybean products, five isolates with biogenic amines-degrading property were obtained from 83 traditionally fermented soybean products. The strains were found to reduce biogenic amines including histamine, tyramine, putrescine, and cadaverine by 27 to 92% in the cooked soybean containing 5.3% of each biogenic amine over 10 days of incubation. The morphological and biochemical tests and the phylogenetic relationships based on 16S rRNA gene sequences indicated that the five isolates were most closely related to Bacillus subtilis or B. amyloliquefaciens. The use of selected strains would be a potential control measure in manufacturing traditionally fermented soybean products that are difficult to control biogenic amine levels.
Bacillus amyloliquefaciens;Bacillus subtilis;biogenic amines;fermentation
Supported by : 농림수산식품부
- BIAMFOOD. 2008. Controlling biogenic amines in traditional food fermentations in regional Europe (Project Reference no. 211441), EU's 7th Framework Program for Research, EU.
- Bulushi, I.A., Susan, P., Hilton, C.D., and Gary, A.D. 2009. Biogenic amines in fish: Roles in intoxication, spoilage, and nitrosamine formation. Cri. Rev. Food Sci. Nutr. 49, 369-377. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408390802067514
- Chakravorty, S., Helb, D., Burday, M., Connell, N., and Alland, D. 2007. A detailed analysis of 16S ribosomal RNA gene segments for the diagnosis of pathogenic bacteria. J. Microbiol. Methods 69, 330-339. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mimet.2007.02.005
- Cho, T.Y., Han, G.H., Bahn, K.N., Son, Y.W., Jang, M.R., Lee, C.H., Kim, S.H., Kim, D.B., and Kim, S.B. 2006. Evaluation of biogenic amines in Korean commercial fermented foods. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 38, 730-737.
- Choi, J.Y., Hong, S.W., and Chung, K.S. 2012. Selection of biogenic amine-reducing microorganisms from a traditional Korean-style fermented food, Cheonggukjang. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 44, 196-201. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2012.44.2.196
- Ferencik, M. 1970. Formation of histamine during bacterial decarboxylation of histidine in the flesh of some marine fishes. J. Hyg. Epidemiol. Microbiol. Immunol. 14, 52-60.
- Fitch, W.M. 1971. Toward defining the course of evolution: minimum change for a specific tree topology. Syst. Zool. 20, 406-416. https://doi.org/10.2307/2412116
- Han, G.H., Cho, T.Y., Yoo, M.S., Kim, C.S., Kim, J.M., Kim, H.A., Kim, M.O., Kim, S.C., Lee, S.A., Ko, Y.S., and et al. 2007. Biogenic amines formation and content in fermented soybean paste. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 39, 541-545.
- Havelka, B. 1967. Role of the Hafnia bacteria in the rise of histamine in tuna fish meat. Cesk. Hyg. 12, 343-352.
- Jakszyn, P. and Gonzalez, C.A. 2006. Nitrosamine and related food intake and gastric and oesophageal cancer risk: A systematic review of the epidemiological evidence. World J. Gastroenterol. 12, 4296-4303. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v12.i27.4296
- Karovicova, J. and Kohajdova, Z. 2005. Biogenic amines in foods. Chem. Pap. 59, 70-79.
- Kawabata, T., Ishizaka, K., Mura, T., and Sasaki, T. 1956. Studies on the food poisoning associated with putrefaction of marine products. Jpn. Soc. Sci. Fish. 22, 41-47. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.22.41
- Kim, Y.S., Jeong, J.O., Cho, S.H., Jeong, D.Y., and Uhm, T.B. 2012. Antimicrobial and biogenic amine-degrading activity of Bacillus licheniformis SCK B11 isolated from traditionally fermented red pepper paste. Korean J. Microbiol. 48, 163-170. https://doi.org/10.7845/kjm.2012.48.2.163
- Kim, Y.S., Jeong, D.Y., Hwang, Y.T., and Uhm, T.B. 2011. Bacterial community profiling during the manufacturing process of traditional soybean paste by pyrosequencing method. Korean J. Microbiol. 47, 275-280.
- Kimura, M. 1980. A simple method for estimating evolutionary rate of base substitutions through comparative studies of nucleotide sequences. J. Mol. Evol. 16, 111-120. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01731581
- Lerke, P.A., Werner, S.B., Taylor, S.L., and Guthertz, L.S. 1978. Scombroid poisoning: Report of an outbreak. West J. Med. 129, 381-386.
- Murooka, Y., Doi, N., and Harada, T. 1979. Distribution of membranebound monoamine oxidase in bacteria. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 38, 565-569.
- Naila, A., Flint, S., Fletcher, G., Bremer, P., and Meerdink, G. 2010. Control of biogenic amines in food-existing and emerging approaches. J. Food Sci. 75, 139-150. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2010.01774.x
- Omura, V., Price, R.J., and Olcott, H.S. 1978. Histamine forming bacteria isolated from spoiled skipjack tuna and jack mackerel. J. Food Sci. 43, 1779-1787. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1978.tb07412.x
- Shalaby, A.R. 1996. Significance of biogenic amines to food safety and human health. Food Research Int. 29, 675-690. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0963-9969(96)00066-X
- Smith, T.A. 1980. Amines in food. Food Chem. 6, 169-200.
- Swofford, D.L. 1998. PAUP. Phylogenetic analysis using Parsimony.4.0 ed. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA, USA.
- Taylor, S.L., Guthertz, L.S., Leatherwood, M., and Lieber, E.R. 1979. Histamine production by Klebsiella pneumoniae and an incident of scombroid fish poisoning. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 37, 274-278.
- Taylor, S.L. and Speckhard, M.W. 1983. Isolation of histamineproducing bacteria from frozen tuna. Mar. Fish. Rev. 45, 35-39.
- Thompson, J.D., Higgins, D.G., and Gibson, T.J. 1994. CLUSTALW: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighing position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Res. 22, 4673-4680. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/22.22.4673
- Zhang, Z., Schwarz, S., Wagner, L., and Miller, W. 2000. A greedy algorithm for aligning DNA sequences. J. Comput. Biol. 7, 203-214. https://doi.org/10.1089/10665270050081478
- Isolation and Identification of Bacillus Strains with Antagonistic Properties against Film-forming Yeasts Overgrown in Low Salted Soybean Pastes vol.49, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7845/kjm.2013.3061
- Identification of characterization and statistical optimization of medium constituent for Bacillus subtilis SCJ4 isolated from Korean traditional fermented food vol.51, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7845/kjm.2015.5004
- Viability of Probiotics in Feed under High Temperature Conditions and Their Growth Inhibitory Effect on Contaminant Microbes vol.50, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7845/kjm.2014.4046
- Screening of Non-Biogenic-Amine-Producing Bacillus subtilis and Medium Optimization for Improving Biomass by the Response Surface Methodology vol.26, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2016.26.5.571
- Characterization of Biogenic Amine-reducing Pediococcus pentosaceus Isolated from Traditionally Fermented Soybean Products vol.50, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7845/kjm.2014.4056
- (Korean Fermented Soybean Paste) Using Autochthonous Mixed Starters at the Pilot Plant Scale vol.83, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.14166
- Bacterial Production and Control of Biogenic Amines in Asian Fermented Soybean Foods vol.8, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3390/foods8020085