- Volume 48 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Serotype Distribution of Human Respiratory Adenovirus Isolated in Gyeonggi Province
경기도내에서 분리한 호흡기아데노바이러스의 혈청형 분포특성
- Lee, Hyun-Kyung (Virus Team, Gyeonggi-do Institute of Health and Environment) ;
- Lee, Myung-Jin (Virus Team, Gyeonggi-do Institute of Health and Environment) ;
- Mun, Su-Kyoung (Virus Team, Gyeonggi-do Institute of Health and Environment) ;
- Kim, Woon-Ho (Virus Team, Gyeonggi-do Institute of Health and Environment) ;
- Cho, Han-Gil (Virus Team, Gyeonggi-do Institute of Health and Environment) ;
- Yoon, Mi-Hye (Virus Team, Gyeonggi-do Institute of Health and Environment) ;
- Lee, Jong-Bok (Virus Team, Gyeonggi-do Institute of Health and Environment) ;
- Cheong, Hyang-Min (Division of Respiratory Viruses, National Institute of Health, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- 이현경 (경기도보건환경연구원 바이러스팀) ;
- 이명진 (경기도보건환경연구원 바이러스팀) ;
- 문수경 (경기도보건환경연구원 바이러스팀) ;
- 김운호 (경기도보건환경연구원 바이러스팀) ;
- 조한길 (경기도보건환경연구원 바이러스팀) ;
- 윤미혜 (경기도보건환경연구원 바이러스팀) ;
- 이정복 (경기도보건환경연구원 바이러스팀) ;
- 정향민 (질병관리본부 호흡기바이러스과)
- Received : 2012.05.15
- Accepted : 2012.07.20
- Published : 2012.09.30
Adenoviruses are an important cause of respiratory tract infections, particularly in infants, young children, and immuno-compromised patients. In this study, we investigated the characteristics of adenoviruses isolated from outpatients with acute respiratory illness in Gyeonggi province of South Korea during 2009-2011. Adenoviruses were detected in 102 of 1,622 (6.3%) specimens by using PCR or real-time PCR with viral specific primers. 76 isolates were obtained from 102 specimens using the A549 cells. Serotypic distributions of isolated adenovirus were analyzed by sequencing of hexon gene. Six different serotypes were identified, which included adenovirus serotypes 1-6. Adenovirus 3 (n=40, 52.6%) was the predominant serotype. The predominant types of adenovirus every year were serotypes 1 and 3 in 2009, serotype 3 in 2010, and serotype 5 in 2011, respectively. Adenoviruses 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 were isolated sporadically throughout the study period. Adenovirus 3 was present both during outbreaks and in sporadic cases. These results indicate that adenovirus 3 played major causative agent of adenovirus outbreaks in Gyeonggi province of South Korea during 2009-2011. Continuous surveillance for specific serotypes of adenovirus that can cause outbreaks is important.
acute respiratory infection;adenoviruses;hexon;serotyping
Supported by : 질병관리본부
- Cho, K.S., Na, B.K., Lee, J.Y., Kang, C., Lim, C.W., Bin, J.H., Lee, S.H., and Kim, W.J. 2002. Charactrization of adenoviruses isolated from children with respiratory illness in Busan, 1999-2000. Rep. Busan Inst. Health & Environ. 12, 5-16.
- Chung, Y.S., Na, B.K., Lee, J.Y., Shin, G.C., Kim, Y.Y., Kim, M.K., Hwang, J.H., Park, M.S., and Kang, C. 2002. Establishment of the molecular and serological diagnosis of the respiratory adenoviruses. The Report of National Institute of Health. 39, 70-92.
- De Jong, J.C., Wermenbol, A.G., Verweij-Uijterwaal, M.W., Slaterus, K.W., Wertheim-Van Dillen, P., Van Doornum, G.J., Khoo, S.H., and Hierholzer, J.C. 1999. Adenoviruses from human immunodeficiency virus-infected individuals, including two strains that represent new candidate serotypes Ad50 and Ad51 of species B1 and D, respectively. J. Clin. Microbiol. 37, 3940-3945.
- Flomenberg, P. 2009. Adenovirus infetions. Medicine 37, 676-678. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mpmed.2009.09.003
- Hong, J.Y. and Lee, H.J. 2000. Adenoviral lower respiratory tract infection of children in Korea from 1990 through 1998. Korean J. Pediatr. Infect. Dis. 7, 94-106.
- Hong, J.Y., Lee, H.J., Piedra, P.A., Choi, E.H., Park, K.H., and Koh, Y.Y. 2001. Lower respiratory tract infections due to adenovirus in hospitalized Korean children: epidemiology, clinical features, and prognosis. Clin. Infect. Dis. 32, 1423-1429. https://doi.org/10.1086/320146
- Jiang, R., Chen, Y., Jiang, Q., Shen, J., Wang, H., Ni, D., Shi, Z., Bao, C., Cai, J., Ju, L., and Xu, H. 2005. Epidemiological study on the outbreak of respiratory infection due to adenovirus. Zhongguo Gong Gong Wei Sheng 21, 925-927.
- Jones, M.S.II, Harrach, B., Ganac, R.D., Gozum, M.M., Dela Cruz, W.P., Riedel, B., Pan, C., Delwart, E.L., and Schnurr, D.P. 2007. New adenovirus species found in patient presenting with gastroenteritis. J. Virol. 81, 5978-5984. https://doi.org/10.1128/JVI.02650-06
- Kang, S.J., Kang, Y.H., Kwon, D.H., Kim, K.C., Kim, K.S., Kim, D.S., Kim, B.S., Kim, S.H., Kim, S.S., Kim, S.H., and et al. 2005. Laboratory diagnosis of infectious diseases, pp. 913-920. National institute of health, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 3rd ed.
- Kim, C.K., Chung, C.Y., and Kim, J.S. 1996. A Study of adenovirus pneumonia: Early summer outbreak in 1996. Korean J. Pediatr. Infect. Dis. 3, 145-153.
- Landry, M.L., Lebeck, M.G., Capuano, A.W., McCarthy, T., and Gray, G.C. 2009. Adenovirus type 3 outbreak in connecticut associated with a novel variant. J. Med. Virol. 81, 1380-1384. https://doi.org/10.1002/jmv.21539
- Lebeck, M.G., McCarthy, T.A., Capuano, A.W., Schnurr, D.P., Landry, M.L., Setterquist, S.F., Heil, G.L., Kilic, S., and Gray, G.C. 2009. Emergent US adenovirus 3 strains associated with an epidemic and serious disease. J. Clin. Virol. 46, 331-336. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcv.2009.09.023
- Lee, J., Choi, E.H., and Lee, H.J. 2010. Comprehensive serotyping and epidemiology of human adenovirus isolated from the respiratory tract of Korean children over 17 consecutive years (1991-2007). J. Med Virol. 82, 624-631. https://doi.org/10.1002/jmv.21701
- Liu, X., Zhang, Y., Bo, F., Li, Z., Wang, D., Song, Y., Wang, H., Zhou, B., Yun, Z., Ren, X., and et al. 2007. An outbreak of pharyngoconjunctival fever caused by adenovirus. Ji Bing Jian Ce 22, 381-383.
- Park, K.W., Choi, E.H., Choun, J.T., Lee, H.J., and Park, K.H. 2005. Genome type analysis of adenovirus serotypes 1, 2, and 5 isolated from children with lower respiratory tract infections in Korea. Korean J. Pediatr. Infect. Dis. 12, 166-177.
- Ross, R.T. 1989. Aenovirus, In Handbook of clinical neurology, pp. 281- 293. Elsevier Biomedical press, Amsterdam.
- Seo, J.J. 2008. Ph. D. thesis. Chosun University, Gwangju, Korea.
- Shin, S.H., Lee, H.J., and Yoon, H.S. 2002. Adenoviral lower respiratory tract infections in children; serotypes and clinical characteristics. Korean J. Pediatr. Infect. Dis. 9, 182-192.
- Wadell, G. 1984. Molecular epidemiology of human adenoviruses. Curr. Top. Microbiol. Immunol. 110, 191-220.
- Walsh, M.P., Chintakuntlawar, A., Robinson, C.M., Madish, I., Harrach, B., Hudson, N.R., Schnurr, D., Heim, A., Chodosh, J., Seto, D., and et al. 2009. Evidence of molecular evolution driven by recombination events influencing tropism in a novel human adenovirus that causes epidemic keratoconjunctivitis. PLoS ONE 4, 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0005361
- Walsh, M.P., Seto, J., Jones, M.S., Chodosh, J., Xu, W., and Seto, D. 2010. Computational analysis identifies human adenovirus type 55 as a re-emergent acute respiratory disease pathogen. J. Clin. Microbiol. 48, 991-993. https://doi.org/10.1128/JCM.01694-09
- Epidemiological Characterization of Respiratory Viruses Detected from Acute Respiratory Patients in Seoul vol.16, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5145/ACM.2013.16.4.188
- Antigen Distributions of Rotavirus and Adenovirus Detected by Enzyme Immuno Assay (EIA) from Acute Gastroenteritis Patients in Seoul vol.44, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4167/jbv.2014.44.1.108