- Volume 25 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Operational Characteristics of Pulsating Heat Pipes for the Application to the Heat Dissipation of LED Lighting
LED 조명 방열 환경에서 진동형 히트파이프의 작동 특성
- Bang, Kwang-Hyun (Division of Mechanical and Energy Systems Engineering, Korea Maritime University) ;
- Kim, Hyoung-Tak (Division of Mechanical and Energy Systems Engineering, Korea Maritime University) ;
- Park, Hae-Kyun (Division of Mechanical and Energy Systems Engineering, Korea Maritime University)
- Received : 2012.07.30
- Accepted : 2012.08.27
- Published : 2012.10.01
An efficient cooling system is essential for the electronic packaging such as a high-luminance LED lighting. A special heat transport technology, Pulsating Heat Pipe (PHP), can be applied to the cooling of LED lighting. In this paper, the operational characteristics of the PHP in the imposed thermal boundary conditions of LED lighting were experimentally investigated. The experimental PHP was made of copper tubes of internal diameter of 2.1 mm. The working fluids of ethanol, FC-72, water, acetone and R-123 were chosen for comparison. The results showed that an optimum range of charging ratio exists for high cooling performance; 50% for most of the fluids. Among the five working fluids, water showed the highest heat transfer rate of 260 W. Two distinguished characteristics of pulsating direction were identified. It is also identified that high vapor pressure gradient is one of key parameters for better heat transfer performance.
Supported by : 정보통신진흥원
- M. S. Yoon, Bulletin of KIEEME, 21, 21 (2008).
- M. H. Shin, Physics & High Technology, 16 (2008).
- M. Groll and S. Khandekar, Proc. Int. Conf. on Energy and the Environment (Shanghai, China, 2003) p. 723.
- J. S. Kim, N. H. Bui, J. W. Kim, J .H. Kim, and H. S. Jung, KSME International Journal, 17, 1507 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02982330
- B. Y. Tong, T. N. Wong, and K. T. Ooi, Appl. Therm. Eng., 21, 1845 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-4311(01)00063-1
- J. L. Xu and X. M. Zhang, Heat Mass Transfer, 41, 685 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00231-004-0535-3
- P. Charoensawan, S. Khandekar, M. Groll, and P. Terdtoon, Applied Thermal Engineering, 23, 2009 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-4311(03)00159-5
- S. Khandekar, N. Dollinger, and M. Groll, Appl. Therm. Eng., 23, 707 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-4311(02)00237-5
- H. Yang, S. Khandekar, and M. Groll, Appl. Therm. Eng., 28, 49 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2007.01.033
- Y. Zhang and A. Faghri, Heat Transf. Eng., 29, 20 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1080/01457630701677114
- H. T. Kim, M. S. Thesis, Korea Maritime University (2012).