- Volume 23 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Efficacy of the Short Form of Mentalization Improvement Program for Adolescent (MIPAdo) for Enhancement of Mental Health in School Children
단축형 청소년용 정신화 프로그램의 학생정신건강 증진효과 평가
- Oh, So-Young ;
- Moon, Su-Jin ;
- Lee, Won-Hye ;
- Hong, Min-Ha ;
- Min, Jung-Won ;
- Kim, Bong-Seog ;
- Hwang, Jun-Won ;
- Woo, Iee-Hyok ;
- Bahn, Geon-Ho
- Received : 2012.05.24
- Accepted : 2012.08.02
- Published : 2012.09.30
Objectives : We developed the short form of the Mentalization Improvement Program for Adolescent-Community Model (MIPAdo-CM-S), based on the concept of the mentalization. Methods : The MIPAdo-CM was composed of 6 sessions and was applied to 133 students in the 1st grade of a middle school for six weeks during their regular school hours. After 6 weeks, we compared the endpoint changes of Adolescent Mental Problem Questionnaire-Revised (AMPQ-R), Emotional Empathy Test, Peer Aggression Scale, Peer Bullying Scale, School Adjustment Scale, Test Anxiety Inventory and Visual Analogue Scale between the subject and the control group. Results : On the Visual Analoge Scale, students in the trial classes reported an increased understanding and respect for others, as well as themselves. Conclusion : The efficacy of MIPAdo-CM was subjective improvement of understanding and respect for both others and themselves. To prove objective usefulness of this program, further studies should be administered in the form of long-term, regular and structured courses.
Mentalization;School Mental Health;Adolescent Bullying
- Bhang SY, Yoo HK, Kim JH, Kim B, Lee YS, Ahn D, et al. Victims of bullying among Korean adolescents: prevalence and association with psychopathology evaluated using the Adolescent Mental Health and Problem Behavior Screening Questionnaire-II standardization study data. J Korean Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2012;23:23-30. https://doi.org/10.5765/jkacap.2012.23.1.23
- Lee WY. Police say Gwangju suicide victim was bullied. Korea herald. 2012 Jan 2. Available from URL:http://www.koreaherald.com/national/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20120102000679.
- Lee WY. Education Ministry to survey all students on school violence. 2012 Jan 19. Available from URL:http://www.koreaherald.com/national/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20120118001036.
- Park JD, Choi HK, Jang WS, Cho DH, Kim JG. A psychopathology and socio-psychiatric study of delinquent adolescents doing school violence. J Korean Neuropsychiatr Assoc 2001;40:640-655.
- Kim JY, Lee KY. A study on the influence of school violence on the adolescent`s suicidal ideation. Korean J Youth Stud 2010;17;121-149.
- Park JY. The mediational effects of resiliency on school violence causing adolescent depression and suicide: Focusing on gender differences. Korean J Soc Welfare Studies 2010;41:345-375.
- Bhang SY, Yoo HK, Kim JH, Kim B, Bahn GH, Ahn D, et al. Revision of Adolescent Mental Health and Problem Behavior Screening Questionnaire: development of Adolescent Mental Health andProblem Behavior Screening Questionnaire-II. J Korean Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2011;22:271-286. https://doi.org/10.5765/jkacap.2011.22.4.271
- Fonagy P, Gergely G, Jurist EL, Target M. Affect Regulation, Mentalization, and the Development of Self. New York: Other Press; 2004.
- Twemlow SW, Fonagy P, Sacco FC. A developmental approach to mentalizing communities: II. The Peaceful Schools experiment. Bull Menninger Clin 2005;69:282-304. https://doi.org/10.1521/bumc.2005.69.4.282
- Twemlow SW, Fonagy P, Sacco FC. A developmental approach to mentalizing communities: I. A model for social change. Bull Menninger Clin 2005;69:265-281. https://doi.org/10.1521/bumc.2005.69.4.265
- Bahn GH, Kim BS, Hwang JW. A trial application of evidence-based and school-based community program for enhancement of mental health in school children. Seoul: National Center for Mental Health Research and Education (NCMHRE);2010.
- Jung SA, Ahn DH, Chung SY, Jeong YG, Kim YY. Development of screening test for adolescent mental health and problem behavior. J Korean Neuropsychiatr Assoc 2008;47:168-176.
- Mehrabian A, Epstein N. A measure of emotional empathy. J Pers 1972;40:525-543. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6494.1972.tb00078.x
- Kim SI. A comparison of empathy for Korean and Canadian university students. Korean J Dev Psychol 1993;6:58-95.
- Kim SI. Parental Acceptance and the Development of Adolescents' Empathy. Korean J Youth Stud 1998;5:21-51.
- Crick NR, Werner NE. Response decision processes in relational and overt aggression. Child Dev 1998;69:1630-1639. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8624.1998.tb06181.x
- Park BK, Doh HS. Correlates of peer victimization: personality traits, parent attachment, and marital conflict. Child Studies Diverse Contexts 2002;23:51-64.
- Park BK, Han SY, Choi MK, Doh HS. Children's personality traits, parent attachment, parent's marital conflict, and aggression/victimazation status. J Korean Home Manag Assoc 2004;22:45-54.
- Crick NR, Bigbee MA. Relational and overt forms of peer victimization: a multiinformant approach. J Consult Clin Psychol 1998;66: 337-347. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.66.2.337
- Lee KM, Kim MS. A validation study on the School Adjustment Scale for middle school students. Korean J School Psychol 2008;5:27-40. https://doi.org/10.16983/kjsp.2008.5.1.27
- Ko HY. A study of the analysis among childrens's perception of teacher expectation, academic self-concept, test anxiety and academic achievement. Seoul: Sookmyung Women's Univ;1992.
- Miller MD, Ferris DG. Measurement of subjective phenomena in primary care research: the Visual Analogue Scale. Fam Pract Res J 1993;13:15-24.
- Van Winkle LJ, Fjortoft N, Hojat M. Impact of a workshop about aging on the empathy scores of pharmacy and medical students. Am J Pharm Educ 2012;76:9. https://doi.org/10.5688/ajpe7619
- Mehrabian A. Beyond IQ: broad-based measurement of individual success potential or "emotional intelligence". Genet Soc Gen Psychol Monogr 2000;126:133-239.
- Kim SI. Validation of the Emotional Empathy Scale for adolescents. Korean J Youth Stud 2010;17:1-25.
- Verona E, Sadeh N, Curtin JJ. Stress-induced asymmetric frontal brain activity and aggression risk. J Abnorm Psychol 2009;118:131-145. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0014376
- Fonagy P, Twemlow SW, Vernberg E, Sacco FC, Little TD. Creating a peaceful school learning environment: the impact of an antibullying program on educational attainment in elementary schools. Med Sci Monit 2005;11:CR317-CR325.
- Fonagy P, Twemlow SW, Vernberg EM, Nelson JM, Dill EJ, Little TD, et al. A cluster randomized controlled trial of child-focused psychiatric consultation and a school systems-focused intervention to reduce aggression. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 2009;50:607-616. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7610.2008.02025.x
- Twemlow SW, Fonagy P, Sacco FC, Gies ML, Evans R, Ewbank R. Creating a peaceful school learning environment: a controlled study of an elementary school intervention to reduce violence. Am J Psychiatry 2001;158:808-810. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.158.5.808
- Gordon M. Roots of Empathy: responsive parenting, caring societies. Keio J Med 2003;52:236-243. https://doi.org/10.2302/kjm.52.236
- Slee PT, Lawson MJ, Russell A, Askell-Williams H, Dix KL, Owens L, et al. KidsMatter Primary Evaluation Final Report. Adelaide: Centre for Analysis of Educational Futures, Flinders University of South Australia;2009.
- Evidence-Based Parental Involvement Programs in the United States of America and Korea vol.24, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10826-014-9958-8