- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Relationships among Daily Hassles, Social Support, Entrapment and Mental Health Status by Gender in University Students
성별에 따른 대학생의 일상적 스트레스, 사회적 지지, 속박감 및 정신건강의 관계
- Cheon, Suk-Hee (Department of Nursing, Sangji University)
- 천숙희 (상지대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2012.08.08
- Accepted : 2012.09.15
- Published : 2012.09.20
Purpose: This study was designed to examine the relationships among daily hassles, social support, entrapment and mental health status in relation to gender in university students. Methods: Data were collected via a self- administered questionnaire from 118 male and 98 female college students in Kangwon province. Data were analyzed using SPSS/WIN 18.0 program for descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson correlation, and stepwise multiple regression. Results: There were significant differences in daily hassles, entrapment and depression between male and female group. Also, there were significant relationship between entrapment and mental health status (i.e. depression, anxiety, hostility, somatization) in both groups. In male students, internal entrapment was the significant predictor of depression and anxiety, and external entrapment was the significant predictor of hostility and somatization whereas, in female students external entrapment was the significant predictor of depression, and internal entrapment was the significant predictor of anxiety, hostility and somatization. Conclusion: These results suggest that entrapment is an important factor for psychological maladaptation due to stressful life events. Therefore, strategies that reduce perception of entrapment according to gender should be developed for psychological adaptation.
Supported by : 상지대학교
- Brown, G. W., Bifulco, A., & Harris, T. O. (1987). Life events, vulnerability and onset of depression: some refinement. British Journal of Psychiatry, 150, 30-42. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.150.1.30
- Burt, K., & Stein, K. (2002). Epidemiology of depression throughout the female lifestyle. The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 63, 9-15. https://doi.org/10.4088/JCP.v63n0103
- Cheon, S. H. (2008). A study on perceived entrapment, anger and depression in adolescent girls. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 14, 239-247. http://dx.doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn. 2008.14.4.239 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2008.14.4.239
- Cheon, S. H., & Cha, B. K. (2008). Inferiority, depression and psychosomatic symptoms in female adolescents: The mediating effect of perceived entrapment. Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, 14, 343-351.
- Cohen, S., & Hoberman, H. (1983). Positive events and social supports as buffers of life change stress. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 13, 99-125. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j. 1559-1816.1983.tb02325.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1983.tb02325.x
- DeLongis, A., Folkman, S., & Lazarus, R. S. (1988). The Impact of daily stress on health and mood: psychological and social resources as mediators. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 54, 486-495. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.526
- Derogatis, L. R. (1977), The SCL-90 manual: Scoring, administration, and procedures for the SCL-90. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Clinical Psychometrics Unit.
- Gilbert, P., & Allan, S. (1998). The role of defeat and entrapment (arrested flight) in depression: An exploration of an evolutionary view. Psychological Medicine, 28, 585-598. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291798006710
- Gilbert, P., Cheung, M., Irons, C., & McEwan, K. (2005). An Exploration into depression-focused and anger-focused rumination in relation to depression in a student population. Behavioral and Cognitive Psychotherapy, 33, 273-283. http:// dx.doi.org/10.1017/S1352465804002048 https://doi.org/10.1017/S1352465804002048
- Hyun, M., Kang, H., & Kim, H. (2011). Parents' drinking behavior and factors related to mental health of their university student offspring. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, 20, 355-364. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2011.20.4.355
- Kendler, K. S., Hettema, J. M., Butera, F., Gardner, C. O., & Prescott, C. A. (2003). Life event dimensions of loss, humiliation, entrapment, and danger in the prediction of onsets of major depression and generalized anxiety. Archives of General Psychiatry, 60, 789-796. http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/ archpsyc.60.8.789 https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.60.8.789
- Kerr, S., Johnson, V. K., Gans, S. E., & Krumrine, J. (2004). Predicting adjustment during the transition to college: Alexithymia, perceived stress, and psychological symptoms. Journal of College Student Development, 45, 593-611. http://dx.doi. org/10.1353/csd.2004.0068 https://doi.org/10.1353/csd.2004.0068
- Keum, M. J., & Nam, H. J. (2010). College freshmen's expectations about college life and their mental health status. Journal of Human Understanding and Counselling, 31 , 105- 127.
- Kim, C. H. (1995). Relationship of the daily hassles, stress appraisal and coping stragies with emotional experiences. Korean Journal of Counselling and Psychotherapy, 7, 44-69.
- Kim, M. K. (2011). Relationship on depression and suicide ideation of university students -the mediating effects of negative emotion and social adaptation. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 18, 101-129.
- Kim, Y. H. (2012). The effect of negative attachment and the moderating effects of decentering and cognitive-flexibility on college student's negative affect and positive affect. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 19, 265-291
- Lee, E. H. (2004). Life stress and depressive symptoms among college students: testing for moderating effects of coping style with structural equations. Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 9, 25-52. https://doi.org/10.1348/135910704322778704
- Lee, O. H. (2012). The influence of life stress, ego-resilience and social support on psychological well-being among college students. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 19, 29-57.
- Lee, S. M., Nam, S. K., & Lee, M. K. (2009). Economic values of mental health service in college counselling center. Korean Journal of Psychology: General, 28, 363-384.
- Martin, Y., Gilbert, P., Mcewan, K., & Irons, C. (2006). The relation of entrapment, shame, guilt to depression, in carers of people with dementia. Aging & Mental Health, 10, 101-106. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13607860500311953 https://doi.org/10.1080/13607860500311953
- Ministry of Health & Welfare. (2011). Korea Health Statistics 2009: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANESIV-3). Retrieved June 12, 2012, from http:// www.mw.go.kr/front/jb/sjb0101mn.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=0 3&MENU_ID=030101
- Park, Y. J., Shin, N. M., Han, K. S., Kang, H. C., Cheon, S. H., & Shin, H. (2011). Depression status of academic high school students in Seoul: mediating role of entrapment. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 41, 663-672. http://dx.doi. org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.5.663 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.5.663
- Segrin, C., Hanzal, A., Donnerstein, C., Taylor, M., & Domschke, T. J. (2007). Social skills, psychological well-being, and the mediating role of perceived stress. Anxiety Stress Coping, 20, 321-329. https://doi.org/10.1080/10615800701282252
- Seo, M. J. (1989). The study on factors influencing the state of adaptation of the hemiplegic patients. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Statistic Korea. (2011). Employment trends. Retrieved June, 12 20 12, from http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/2/3/1/in dex.board?bmode=read&bSeq=&aSeq=245371&pageNo=4 &rowNum=10&navCount=10&currPg=&sTarget=title&sTxt=
- Sturman, E. D., & Mongrain, M. (2005). Self-criticism and major depression: An evolutionary perspective. The British Psychological Society, 44, 505-519. http://dx.doi.org/10.1348/ 014466505X35722
- Visani, D., Albieri, E., Offidani, E., Ottolini, F., Tomba, E., & Ruini, C. (2011). Gender differences in psychological well-being and distress during adolescence. In I. Brdar (Eds.), I. The human pursuit of well-being: A cultural approach (pp, 65- 70). Springer Science+Business Media BV Press. http://dx. doi.org/10.1007/978-94-007-1375-8_6
- Willner, P., & Goldstein, R. C. (2001). Mediation of depression by perceptions of defeat and entrapment in high-stress mother. British Journal of Medical Psychology, 74, 473-485. https://doi.org/10.1348/000711201161127
- Wilson, G. S., Pritchard, M. E., & Revalee, B. (2005). Individual difference in adolescent health symptoms; the effects of gender and coping. Journal of Adolescence, 28, 369-379. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2004.08.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2004.08.004
- Yang, D. H., Oh, Y. J., Cheun, Y. H., Cho, Y. S., Oh, K. M., & Kim, B. K. (2008). Test anxiety investigation of students in oriental medicine college by using Korea's version-test anxiety inventory, state-trait anxiety inventory, symptom checklist- 90-revision. Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry, 19 , 55-70.