- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Clinical Practice and Simulation-Based Practice for Obstetrical Nursing
분만 간호에 대한 시뮬레이션 실습교육과 병원 분만실 실습교육의 효과
- Kim, Sun-Ae (Seoul Women's College of Nursing) ;
- Lee, Sun-Kyung (Seoul Women's College of Nursing) ;
- Chae, Hyun-Ju (College of Nursing, Ajou University)
- Received : 2012.08.03
- Accepted : 2012.09.15
- Published : 2012.09.20
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effects of clinical practice and simulation-based practice for obstetrical nursing in terms of self-efficacy, practice satisfaction, and practice stress. Methods: A non-equivalent control group post test design was used. The participants were 171 junior nursing students, 103 in the experimental group, and 68 in the control group. Simulation-based practice consisted of nursing assessment during labor, nursing assessment and intervention for normal and high risk mother, nursing education for mother and family during labor, and open lab. The experimental group participated in simulation-based practice for two days and the control group participated in clinical practice at delivery room for two weeks. Results: The experimental group showed higher level of self-efficacy (p= .043), practice satisfaction (p<.001) and practice stress (p=.003) compared to the control group. Conclusion: Simulation-based practice is an effective learning method for obstetrical nursing and can be used as the alternative for clinical practice. However, stress management strategies are needed for simulation-based practice.
Supported by : 서울여자간호대학
- Alinier, G., Hunt, B., Gordon, R., & Harwood, C. (2006). Effectiveness of intermediate-fidelity simulation training technology in undergraduate nursing education. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 54, 359-369. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365- 2648.2006.03810.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2006.03810.x
- Baillie, L., & Cruzio, J. (2009). Students' and facilitators' perceptions of simulation in practice learning. Nurse Education in Practice, 9, 297-306. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2008. 08.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2008.08.007
- Chang, S. J., Kwon, E. O., Kwon, Y. O., & Kwon, H. K. (2010). The effects of simulation training for new graduate critical care nurses on knowledge, self-efficacy, and performance ability of emergency situation at intensive care unit. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 22, 375-383.
- Choi, J. Y. (2010). Simulation based education as an educational strategy for nursing students. Chonnam Journal of Nursing Science, 15 (1), 47-57.
- Chung, C. W., Kim, H. S., & Park, Y. S. (2011). Effects of high-fidelity simulation-based education on maternity nursing. Perspectives in Nursing Science, 8 (2), 86-96.
- Corbridge, S. J., McLaughlin, R., Tiffen, J., Wade, L., Templin, R., & Corbridge, T. C. (2008). Using simulation to enhance knowledge and confidence. The Nurse Practitioner, 33 (6), 12- 13.
- Dayal, A. K., Fisher, N., Magrane, D., Goffman, D., Bernstein, P. S., & Katz, N. T. (2009). Simulation training improves medical students' learning experiences when performing real vaginal deliveries. Simulation in Healthcare, 4, 155-159. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/SIH.0b013e3181b3e4ab https://doi.org/10.1097/SIH.0b013e3181b3e4ab
- Haskvitz, L. M., & Koop, E. C. (2004). Students struggling in clinical? a new role for the patient simulator. The Journal of Nursing Education, 43, 181-184.
- Hodge, M., Martin, C. T., Tavernier, D., Perea-Ryan, M., & Alcala- Van Houten, L. (2008). Integrating simulation across the curriculum. Nurse Educator, 33, 210-214. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1097/01.NNE.0000312221.59837.38 https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NNE.0000312221.59837.38
- Hofmann, B. (2009). Why simulation can be efficient: On the preconditions of efficient learning on complex technology based practice. BMC Medical Education, 9, 48. http://dx. doi.org/10.1186/1472-6920-9-48 https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6920-9-48
- Holmstrom, S. W., Downes, K., Mayer, J. C., & Learman, L. A. (2011). Simulation training in an obstetric clerkship: A randomized controlled trial. Obstetrics and Gynecology, 118, 649-654. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0b013e31822 ad988 https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0b013e31822ad988
- Jude, D. C., Gilbert, G. G., & Magrane, D. (2006). Simulation training in the obstetrics and gynecology clerkship. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 195, 1489-1492. http:// dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2006.05.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2006.05.003
- Kim, Y. H., & Jang, K. S. (2011). Effects of a simulation-based education on cardio-pulmonary emergency care knowledge, clinical performance ability and problem solving process in new nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 41, 245-255. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.2.245 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.2.245
- Kim, Y. M., Chun, N. M., Lee, E. H., Cho, I. S., Ahn, S. H., Kim, J. I., et al. (2011). Student experience and satisfaction with clinical nursing practice in women's health nursing. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 17, 225-242. http://dx. doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2011.17.3.225 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2011.17.3.225
- Korean Society of Women Health Nursing. (2009). Learning objectives of maternity nursing. Seoul: Author.
- Larew, C., Lessans, S., Spunt, D., Foster, D., & Covington, B. G. (2006). Innovations in clinical simulation: Application of Benner's theory in an interactive patient care simulation. Nursing Education Perspectives, 27, 16-21.
- Lasater, K. (2007). High-fidelity simulation and the development of clinical judgement: Student's experience. The Journal of Nursing Education, 46, 269-276.
- Lee, J. H., Kim, S. S., Yeo, K. S., Cho, S. J., & Kim, H. L. (2009). Experience among undergraduate nursing students on highfidelity simulation education: A focus group study. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 15, 183- 193. http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2009.15.2.183 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2009.15.2.183
- Lee, M. S., & Hahn, S. W. (2011). Effect of simulation-based practice on clinical performance and problem solving process for nursing students. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 17, 226-234. http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/ JKASNE.2011.17.2.226 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.2.226
- Lee, S. J., Roh, Y. S., Kim, J. O., Jang, K. I., Ryoo, E. N., & Park, Y. M. (2010). Comparison of multi-mode simulation and SimMan(R)simulation on evaluation of nursing care for patients with dyspnea. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 16, 51-60. http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/ JKASNE.2010.16.1.051 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.051
- Lee, S. O., Eom, M. R., & Lee, J. H. (2007). Use of simulation in nursing education. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 13, 90-94.
- Lee, W. S., & Kim, M. O. (2011). Effects and adequacy of high-fidelity simulation-based training for obstetrical nursing. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 41, 433-443. http:// dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.4.433 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.4.433
- Liaschenko, J., & Peter, E. (2004). Nursing ethics and conceptualizations of nursing: Profession, practice and work. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 46, 488-495. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2004.03011.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2004.03011.x
- Lim, K. C. (2011). Directions of simulation-based learning in nursing practice education: A systematic review. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 17, 246-256. http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.2.246 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.2.246
- Nehring, W. M., & Lashley, F. R. (2004). Current use and opinions regarding human patient simulators in nursing education: An international survey. Nursing Education Perspectives, 25, 244-248.
- Park, J. H., Jung, E., Ko, J. K., & Yoo, H. B. (2008). Delivery training for undergraduate medical students using birth simulator. Korean Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 51, 950-956.
- Reynolds, A., Ayres-de-Campos, D., Bastos, L. F., van Meurs, W. L., & Bernardes, J. (2008). Impact of labor and delivery simulation classes in undergraduate medical learning. Medical Education Online, 13, 14. http://dx.doi.org/10.3885/meo. 2008.Res00285
- Seong, K. Y. (2008). Effects of practice nursing education: Using standardized patients on subcutaneous insulin injection. Unpublished master's thesis. Eulji University, Daejeon.
- Yang, J. J. (2008). Development and evaluation of a simulationbased education course for nursing students. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 20, 548-560.