- Volume 28 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Oxidized Tallow on the Rabbit Serum Lipids and Antioxidant Activity of the In-vitro Lipids
- Zeb, Alam (Department of Biotechnology, University of Malakand) ;
- Rahman, Waheed Ur (Department of Biotechnology, University of Malakand)
- Received : 2012.07.05
- Accepted : 2012.08.29
- Published : 2012.09.30
This paper describes the effects of thermally oxidized tallow on the serum lipids profile and radical scavenging activity (RSA) of the lipids extracted from the different tissues of the rabbits. Tallow was thermally oxidized at
Achir, N., Randrianatoandro, V.A., Bohuon, P., Laffargue, A. and Avallone, S. (2010). Kinetic study of
$\beta$-carotene and lutein degradation in oils during heat treatment. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol., 112, 349-361.
- Ali, M., Ullah, I., Ahmad, S., Khan, H. and Akbar, H. (2009). Effect of commercial kebab frying on physico-chemical parameters of the tallow. Pak. J. Nutr., 8, 891-895. https://doi.org/10.3923/pjn.2009.891.895
- AOCS. (1998). Official methods and recommended practices of the American oil chemists' society, D. Firestone (5th ed.). Champaign: AOCS. Method Cd 8b-90.
- Berger, J.J. and Barnard, R.J. (1999). Effect of diet on fat cell size and hormone-sensitive lipase activity. J. Appl. Physiol., 87, 227-232. https://doi.org/10.1152/jappl.19126.96.36.199
- Folch, J., Lees, M. and Sloane Stanley, G.H. (1957). A simple method for isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem., 226, 497-509.
- Guderian, Jr., D.M., Rasmussen, H.E., Wray, C.A., Dussault, P.H. and Carr, T.P. (2007). Cholesterol-lowering properties of plant sterols esterified with beef tallow fatty acids in hamsters. Nutr. Res., 27, 283-288. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nutres.2007.03.006
- Jurek, D., Udilova, N., Jozkowicz, A., Nohl, H., Marian, B. and Schulte-Hermann, R. (2005). Dietary lipid hydroperoxides induce expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in human colorectal tumor cells. FASEB J., 19, 97-99. https://doi.org/10.1096/fj.04-2111fje
- Kamal-Eldin, A., Makinen, M. and Lampi, A. (2003). The challenging contribution of hydroperoxides to the lipid oxidation mechanism (Kamal-Eldin, A., Ed). AOCS Press, Champaign, Illinois, pp. 1-35.
Karabulut, I. (2010). Effects of
$\alpha$-tocopherol, $\beta$-carotene and ascorbyl palmitate on oxidative stability of butter oil triacylglycerols. Food Chem., 123, 622-627. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2010.04.080
- Kehrer, J.P. (1993). Free radicals as mediator of tissue injury and disease. Crit. Rev. Toxicol., 23, 21-48. https://doi.org/10.3109/10408449309104073
- Lechowski, R., Bielecki, W., Sawosz, E., Krawiec, M. and Klucinski, W. (1999). The effect of lecithin supplementation on the biochemical profile and morphological changes in the liver of rats fed different animal fats. Vet. Res. Commun., 23, 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006156104465
- Lee, J.M., Chung, H., Chang, P.S. and Lee, J.H. (2007). Development of a method predicting the oxidative stability of edible oils using 2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH). Food Chem., 103, 662-669. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2006.07.052
- Leplaix-Charlat, L., Durand, D. and Bauchart, D. (1996). Effects of diets containing tallow and soybean oil with and without cholesterol on hepatic metabolism of lipids and lipoproteins in the pre ruminant calf. J. Dairy Sci., 79, 1826-1835. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(96)76551-7
- Mai, J., Tsai, C.H., Armbruster, G., Chu, P. and Kinsella, J.E. (1980). Effects of microwave cooking on food fatty acids: No evidence of chemical alteration or isomerization. J. Food Sci., 45, 1753-1755. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1980.tb07604.x
- Pour-Reza, J. and Edriss, M.A. (1997). Effects of dietary sorghum of different tannin concentrations and tallow supplementation on the performance of broiler chicks. Br. Poult. Sci., 38, 512- 517. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071669708418030
- Ramadan, M.F., Amer, M.M.A. and Sulieman, A.R.M. (2006). Correlation between physicochemical analysis and radical-scavenging activity of vegetable oil blends as affected by frying of French fries. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol., 108, 670-678. https://doi.org/10.1002/ejlt.200600058
- Ryan, T.C. and Gray, J.I. (1984). Distribution of cholesterol in fractionated beef tallow. J. Food Sci., 49, 1390-1391. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1984.tb14997.x
- Sabir, S.M., Hayat, I. and Gardezi, S.D.A. (2003). Estimation of sterols in edible fats and oils. Pak. J. Nutr., 2, 178-181. https://doi.org/10.3923/pjn.2003.178.181
- Segura, N., Silva, R.C., Soares, F.A.S.M., Gioielli, L.A. and Jachmanián, I. (2011). Valorization of beef tallow by lipase-catalyzed interesterification with high oleic sunflower oil. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc., 88, 1945-1954. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11746-011-1876-y
- Yang, C.M., Kendall, C.W., Stamp, D., Medline, A., Archer, M.C. and Bruce, W.R. (1998). Thermally oxidized dietary fat and colon carcinogenesis in rodents. Nutr. Cancer, 30, 69-73. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635589809514643
- Yuan, Y.V., Kitts, D.D. and Godin, D.V. (1999). Influence of increased saturated fatty acid intake from beef tallow on antioxidant status and plasma lipids in atherosclerosis-susceptible Japanese quail. Nutr. Res., 19, 461-481. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(99)00014-7
Zeb, A. (2012). Thermal degradation of
$\beta$-carotene in food oils. (Preedy, V.R., Ed). Royal Society of Chemistry, London, England.
- Zeb, A. and Ali, M. (2008). Thermal stability of animal tallow used in kebab preparation. J. Chem. Soc. Pak., 30, 750-755.
- Zeb, A. and Mehmood, A. (2012). Effects of oxidized vanaspati ghee on the serum lipids and radical scavenging activity of the in-vitro lipids of liver, brain and muscles. Turk. J. Biochem., (In Press).
Zeb, A. and Murkovic, M. (2010). Characterization of the effects of
$\beta$-carotene on the thermal oxidation of triacylglycerols using HPLC-ESI-MS. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol., 112, 1218-1228. https://doi.org/10.1002/ejlt.201000392
- Zullo, B.A. and Ciafardini, G. (2008). The olive oil oxygen radical absorbance capacity (DPPH assay) as a quality indicator. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol., 110, 428-434. https://doi.org/10.1002/ejlt.200700136
- Sea Buckthorn Seed Powder Provides Protection in the Oxidative Stress Produced by Thermally Oxidized Sunflower Oil in Rabbits vol.38, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/jfbc.12082
- The Protective Role of Tomato Powder in the Toxicity, Fatty Infiltration and Necrosis Induced by Oxidized Tallow in Rabbits vol.40, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/jfbc.12234
- Ellagic Acid Suppresses the Oxidative Stress Induced by Dietary-Oxidized Tallow vol.2018, pp.1942-0994, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/7408370