- Volume 23 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The influence of smartphone addiction on mental health, campus life and personal relations - Focusing on K university students
스마트폰중독이 정신건강, 학교생활, 대인관계에 미치는 영향 - K대 대학생을 중심으로
- Choi, Hyun-Seok (Department of Statistics, Keimyung University) ;
- Lee, Hyun-Kyung (Department of Statistics, Keimyung University) ;
- Ha, Jeong-Cheol (Department of Statistics, Keimyung University)
- Received : 2012.08.31
- Accepted : 2012.09.24
- Published : 2012.09.30
Since the smartphone was first released in 2009, its common use has made everyday life convenient but caused many social problems. In this article, we surveyed the status of smartphone usage and identified the influence of smartphone addiction on mental health, campus life and personal relations of university students. We gave the methods to prevent smartphone addiction, which could be used as basic materials for solving the problems. We found the smartphone addiction syndrome cause problems of mental health, campus life and personal relations in many ways. In addition to significant direct effects, smartphone addiction has significant indirect effects on personal relations via mental health and campus life as a medium.
Factor analysis;mental health;smartphone addiction;structural equation model
- Bae, J. K. and Jeong, H. M. (2008). An empirical study on the determinants factors by including functional attributes of smart phone adoption. The E-Business Studies, 9, 337-361. https://doi.org/10.15719/geba.9.4.200811.337
- Choi, H. S. and Ha, J. (2011). A Study on the factors inducing internet addiction of college students. Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 22, 437-448.
- Fornell, C. and Lacker, D. F. (1981). Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error. Journal of Marketing Research, 19, 39-50.
- Hair, J. F., Anderson, R. E., Tatham, R. L. and Black, W. C. (1998). Multivariate data analysis, 5th ed., Prentice-Hall International, New York.
- Kang, H. Y. and Park, C. H. (2012). Development and validation of the smartphone addiction inventory. Korean Journal of Psychology: General, 31, 563-580.
- Kang, H. Y. and Son, C. N. (2009). Development and validation of the mobile phone addiction scale for adolescents. The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 14, 497-510 https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2009.14.3.002
- Kim, D. and Chae, W. (2012). Biomechanical analysis of a smartphone task with different postures. Korean Journal of Sport Biomechanics, 22, 253-259. https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2012.22.2.253
- Ko, C. S. (2012). The effects of addictive cell-phone use of adolescence on mental health. Forum for Youth Culture, 30, 8-36.
- Ko, Y. M., Kim, H. C., Park, C. J., Hyun, J. S. and Kim, C. M. (2011). Information culture index analysis from the perspective of the internet, cell-phone addiction. The Journal of Korean Association of Computer Education, 14, 13-23.
- Korea Communications Commission and Korea Internet & Security Agency. (2011). Survey on the internet usage, Korea Internet & Security Agency, Seoul.
- Lee, A. R. and Lee, K. Y. (2012). The effects of parental factors, friend's factors, and psychological factors on the addictive mobile phone use of children. The Journal of Child Education, 21, 27-39.
- Lee, J. (2011). A study on dispositional mobile phone use motives, mobile phone addiction, and mobile phone verbal bullying of adolescents: With a focus on middle and high school students in Seoul and Gyeonggi. Journal of Communication Science, 11, 365-401.
- National Information Society Agency. (2012). Diagnosing smartphone addiction scale, Korean Internet Addition Center, Seoul.
- Oh, K. (2010). Small diagnostic scale for internet addiction. Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 21, 1203-1209.
- Park, J. Y., Kim, G. A. and Hong, C. H. (2012). The relationships between adolescents' cellular phone use motivation, peer relationships, emotional factors and cellular phone addictive use. The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, 31, 151-169. https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2012.31.1.008
- You, M. S. and Kwon, M. (2011). The comparative study on mother's rearing attitude and communication among mother and student between mobile phone addiction group and non-addiction group: Middle school students. Korean Parent Child Health, 14, 76-83.
- Yu, P. S. (2010), A study of the relationship among academic records, parents-children communication, and cellular phone addiction in middle school students. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 17, 33-51.
- Self-diagnostic system for smartphone addiction using multiclass SVM vol.24, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2013.24.1.13
- Carpe diem instead of losing your social mind: Beyond digital addiction and why we all suffer from digital overuse vol.3, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/23311908.2016.1157281
- The Moderating Effect of Smartphone Addiction on the Relationship between Interpersonal Problem and Depression vol.29, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2015.29.1.5
- The Analysis of Factors that Affect Attitudes toward the New Digital Revolution vol.12, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.6.333
- Predictors of Sleep Quality Among Young Adults in Korea: Gender Differences vol.37, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/01612840.2016.1235636
- A study on library users' loyalty with users' satisfaction as a moderating variable: K university case vol.25, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2014.25.6.1301
- The effect of university students' knowledge sharing on the educational performance vol.24, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2013.24.6.1177
- Mediating Effect of Adolescents' Smart-Phone Addiction in the Relationship between Family Function and School Adjustment Resilience vol.14, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.06.140
- Influence of smartphone addiction on personal relationship in dental hygiene students vol.16, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.05.775
- Modelling smartphone addiction: The role of smartphone usage, self-regulation, general self-efficacy and cyberloafing in university students vol.63, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2016.05.091
- Exploring relationships among Korean Children's Depression, Smartphone Addiction, and School Life Satisfaction: Focusing on Partial Least Square (PLS) Path Modeling vol.11, pp.12, 2013, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.12.49
- Development of Japanese Version of Smartphone Dependence Scale vol.06, pp.07, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4236/ojpm.2016.67017
- Effects of the smartphone addiction on adjustment to college life - Moderating effect of impulsivity - vol.20, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9708/jksci.2015.20.12.129
- My virtual friend: A qualitative analysis of the attitudes and experiences of Smartphone users: Implications for Smartphone attachment vol.75, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2017.05.029
- A Study on Influential Relations between Stress and Smartphone Addiction among College Students: With a Focus on the Mediating Effects of Depression and Self-Efficacy vol.17, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.5.227
- Association between Smart Phone Use and Smart Phone Addiction in Dental Hygiene College vol.15, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.6.761
- Relationship between High School Students’ Mental Social Health and Tendency toward Social Networking Addiction vol.28, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.15434/kssh.2015.28.3.248
- The Effect of Introversion·Extroversion and Interpersonal Satisfaction on Smart Phone Addiction Perceived by University Students vol.25, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5934/kjhe.2016.25.2.137
- The influences of self-efficacy and attachment on SNS addiction tendency in college students vol.27, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2016.27.3.763
- Study of university students' perceptions on participation in elections via structural equation model - Focusing on K university students vol.24, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2013.24.2.379
- Factors Affecting Smartphone Addiction among University Students vol.15, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.3.1632
- The Differences of the Ego-Resilience and Disagreement in Parents' Rearing Attitude according to the Levels of the Smartphone Addiction of Adolescents vol.13, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.2.299
- The Relationships among Smart phone Use Motivations, Addiction, and Self-control in Nursing students vol.12, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.5.311
- Effects of Self-Control and School Adjustment on Smartphone Addiction among Elementary School Students vol.11, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5392/IJoC.2015.11.3.001
- Correlation between smartphone addiction and quality of sleep among university school students, graduate students vol.10, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.13067/JKIECS.2015.10.6.737
- Enhancing the corporate image through social media: An approach based on multi-dimensional scaling vol.24, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2013.24.3.427
- Statistical analysis of life pattern and functional cosmetics awareness vol.25, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2014.25.6.1273
- University Students' Smartphone Addiction Propensities according to Self-efficacy and Leisure-related Variables vol.32, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7466/JKHMA.2014.32.1.63
- Longitudinal Relationship between Overuse/Addictive Use of Mobile Phones and Depression in Adolescents: Adapting the Autoregressive Cross-Lagged Model and Multiple Group Analysis across Gender vol.52, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.6115/fer.2014.026
- Influence of Smartphone Use on the Personal Relations of College Students in the Metropolitan Area of Kyung-In: Focusing on the Mediating Effect of Smartphone Addiction vol.27, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2016.27.3.371
- Factors Influencing Smartphone Addiction in High School Students in B city vol.26, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2014.26.1.166
- A Convergence Study the Effect of College Students' Parent-Son/Daughter Communication on Addiction to Smartphones : Focused on the Mediated Effect of Stress Level, Self-Control and Self-Efficacy vol.7, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.4.163
- The Differences in Smartphone Addiction Symptom between Highly Addicted and Non-addicted College Students vol.27, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.15434/kssh.2014.27.3.189
- The Effects of Individualized Learning Adapted to Students' Conceptions Using Smart Devices in Science Instruction vol.35, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2015.35.2.0325
- To use or not to use? Compulsive behavior and its role in smartphone addiction vol.7, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1038/tp.2017.1
- The Smartphone Addiction Scale: Development and Validation of a Short Version for Adolescents vol.8, pp.12, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0083558
- The Effect of Self-Esteem and Depression on Smartphone Addiction among University Students vol.7, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.1.113
- Relation between Smartphone Addiction and Interpersonal Competence of College Students using Social Network Service vol.14, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.05.289
- Factors Affecting on Smartphone Addiction according to the Classification of Addiction-risk Groups among College Students: A Focus on Self-control vol.27, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2015.27.6.634
- Relationship between smartphone addiction of nursing department students and their communication skills pp.1839-3535, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/10376178.2018.1448291
- Christian Spirituality and Smartphone Addiction in Adolescents: A Comparison of High-Risk, Potential-Risk, and Normal Control Groups pp.1573-6571, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10943-018-00751-0
- Socially Connected but Still Isolated: Smartphone Addiction Decreases Social Support Over Time vol.37, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1177/0894439317742611
- Smartphone addiction and associated consequences: role of loneliness and self-regulation pp.1362-3001, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1080/0144929X.2018.1560499