- Volume 57 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Seed Size Variation on Germination and Seeding Vigour of Sorghum (Sorghum bicolor L.)
수수의 종자크기가 종자활력과 출아에 미치는 영향
- Jung, Ki-Yuol (Cereal Crop Research Division, NICS, RDA) ;
- Yun, Eul-Soo (Cereal Crop Research Division, NICS, RDA) ;
- Park, Chang-Young (Cereal Crop Research Division, NICS, RDA) ;
- Choi, Young-Dae (Cereal Crop Research Division, NICS, RDA) ;
- Hwang, Jae-Bok (Cereal Crop Research Division, NICS, RDA) ;
- Jeon, Seung-Ho (Cereal Crop Research Division, NICS, RDA)
- 정기열 (농촌진흥청 국립식량과학원 기능성작물부) ;
- 윤을수 (농촌진흥청 국립식량과학원 기능성작물부) ;
- 박창영 (농촌진흥청 국립식량과학원 기능성작물부) ;
- 최영대 (농촌진흥청 국립식량과학원 기능성작물부) ;
- 황재복 (농촌진흥청 국립식량과학원 기능성작물부) ;
- 전승호 (농촌진흥청 국립식량과학원 기능성작물부)
- Received : 2012.04.27
- Accepted : 2012.07.05
- Published : 2012.09.30
Seed size has been considered as an effective criteria for selection of the most vigorous seeds in sorghum [(Sorghum bicolor (L) Moench]. The smaller seeds were inferior to the larger sizes in emergence and grain yield. This study was conducted to determine germination rate, field emergence and vigor of sorghum for selection of high quality seed by different seed size. Sorghum cultivar of two (Hwanggeumchal and Tojong) were separated into five seed size proportion (<2.36, 2.80, 3.15, 3.35 and >3.55 mm diam.) according to seed size. The larger seed was more higher 1,000 seeds weight, seed density, carbohydrates and protein content. Total seed germination performing varied 92% at the largest size (>3.55 mm diam.) frequently inferior to slightly 67% at smaller seed (2.36 to 2.80 mm diam.) in the standard germination test. Seed size did have a significant effect on mean emergence time (MET) and maximum emergence rate index (ERI) and percentage of emergence. It should be noted that the results refer to MET of sorghum seeds ranging from 4.26 to 4.74 days. The relationship of seed size was not only to stand establishment but to grain yield. Yield was most affected by seed size and large seeds were superior to the smaller seed in 25~37% of the cases. Especially, yield was significant under 3.15 mm the beginning.
sorghum;seed size;germination;emergence;seed vigor
- Abdullahi A. O. 1975. Evaluation of laboratory test for perdictting field pereformance of sorghum seed. Thesis of Master of science of Texas Tech University.
- Abdullahi, A. O. and R. L. Vanderlip. 1972. Relation of vigor test and source and size to sorghum seedling establishment. Agron. J. 64: 143-144. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1972.00021962006400020004x
- Alessandria, E. E. 1982. Factors affecting planting of grain sorghum: seedling depth and size of the caryopsis. Rev. Cienc. Agropecu. 3 : 71-89.
- AOSA. 1983. Seed Vigor Testing Handbook. Contribution. 32, 88 p. Association of Official Seed Analysts.
- Bennett, W. F., B. B. Tucker, and A. B. Maunder. 1990. Modern grain sorghum production. Iowa state Univ. Press, Ames.
- Brar, G. S., J. L. Steiner, P. W. Unger, and S. S. Prihar. 1992. Modeling sorghum seedling establishment from soil wetness and temperature of drying seed zones. Agron. J. 84: 905-910. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1992.00021962008400050026x
- Camargo, C. P. and C. E. Vaughan. 1973. Effect of seed vigour on field performance and yieldof grain sorghum (Sorghum bicolor (l.) Moench). Proc. Assoc. Official Seed Analysts 63 : 135-147.
- Cortes, J. E. 1988. Relationships of seed size and density to seed quality in sorghum. (Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench). Dissertation Abstracts International, B 49: 576B.
- Evans, L. E. and G. M. Bhatt. 1977. Influence of seed size, protein content, and cultivar on early seedling vigor in wheat. Can. J. Plant Sci. 57 : 929-935. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjps77-133
- Hanumaiah, L. and H. Andrews. 1973. Effect of seed size in cabbage and turnips on performance of seeds, seedlings and plants. Proc. Assoc. Offic. Seed Anal. 63 : 117-125.
- International Seed Testing Association (ISTA). 1985. International rules for seed testing. Seed Technol. 13 : 356-513.
- Khosla, R., N. Persaud, N. L. Powell, and D. E. Brann. 1995. Water use sorghum on amarginal soil in eastern Virgininia. pp. 433. In 1995 Agronomy abstracts. ASA. Madison. WI.
- Lowe, L. B. and S. K. Ries. 1973. Effect of environment on the relation between seed protein and seedling vigor in wheat. Can. J. Plant Sci. 52 : 157-164.
- Manga, V. K. and O. P. Yadav. 1995. Effect of seed on development traits and to tolerate drought in pearl millet. Jounal.Arid Environment. 29 : 169-170. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-1963(05)80087-4
- Maranville, J. W. and M. D. Clegg. 1977. Influence of seed size and density on germination, seedling emergence and yield of grain sorghum. Agron. J. 69 : 329-330. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1977.00021962006900020032x
- Mortlock, M. Y. and R. L. Vanderlip. 1989. Germination and establishment of pearl millet and sorghum of different seed qualities under controlled high-temperature environments. Field Crop Research 22 : 195-209. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-4290(89)90092-0
- Sadasivam, S. and A. Manickam. 2007. Biochemical Methods. In Chapter 1. carbohydrates. p. 13-290.
- Srivastava, D. P. and E. L. Pinnell. 1963. Germination studies in grain sorghum. University of Missouri. College of Agriculture. Columbia, Missouri. Research Bulletin 828.
- Vanderlip, R. L., F. E. Mockel, and H. Jan. 1973. Evaluation of vigour tests for sorghum seeds. Agron. J. 65 : 487-488.
- Wanjari, S. S., N. R. Potdukhe, A. M. Dhope, V. B. Shekar, and D. B. Patil. 1992. Effect of seed size on germination, field emergence and vigour in some sorghum genotypes. Agric. Sci. Digest 12 : 59-61.
- Wilson, G. L. and J. D, Eastin. 1982, The plant and its environment. International crop research institute for semiarid tropics. Sorghum in the eighties. Proc. of the International Symposium on Sorghum, 2-7 Nov. 1981, Patau Cheru, A. P., India ICRISAT. Evans, L.E. and G.M. Bhatt. 1977. Influence of seed size, protein content, and cultivar on early seedling vigor in wheat. Can. J. Plant Sci. 57 : 929-935. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjps77-133
- Younesi, O. and A. Moradi. 2009. The effect of water limitation in the field on sorghum seed germination and vigor. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences. 3(2) : 1156-1159.
- Evaluation of Seed Vigor and Morphology by Varietal Difference of Sorghum (Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench) vol.59, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7740/kjcs.2014.59.4.457