- Volume 7 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Stretching and Isometric Exercise for Chronic Neck Pain Patient in Strength and Pain
스트레칭과 등척성 운동이 만성 경부통증환자의 근력과 통증에 미치는 영향
Lee, Han-Suk;Yoo, Ji-Hun
- Received : 2012.07.30
- Accepted : 2012.08.20
- Published : 2012.08.31
Purpose : The purpose of this study was to assess more effective exercise prescription for the people with chronic neck pain by comparing stretching exercise and isometric exercise about strength and pain. Method : The research design of the study was that 20 young adults with mild neck disability (5-14 out of 50 in Neck Disability Index) were randomized into 2 groups and underwent stretching exercise(10 peoples) and isometric exercise(10 peoples) at 3 times a week for 5weeks. Measures of pain scale (Visual Analog Scale) and Muscle strength of deep neck flexor (Pressure Biofeedback) were assessed before and after intervention. The pre and post exercise results were compared using paired t-test and the effectiveness of intervention of two groups were compared using Independent t test. Results : The results of this study were that pain reduction was seen after stretching and isometric exercise and significantly difference. There was significantly improvement of cervical flexor strength after stretching and isometric exercise. But, there was no significant difference between stretching and isometric exercise groups. Conclusion : The stretching and isometric exercise for chronic neck pain patients may use according to preference of patient because the effects of treatment was same. Further studies are needed to analyzed psycho social factors, cost effects, group approach.
Stretching;Isometric exercise;Chronic neck pain
- 공원태, 정형태, 이경목. 경추안정화 운동과 경추관절가동술이 경부의 최대근력과 정적근지구력에 미치는 영향. 한국데이터정보과학회지. 2010;21 (1):33-42.
- 김영민. 유지-이완 기법이 VDT 작업자의 상지 통증 감소에 미치는 효과. 대한산업의학회지. 2009;21 (1):18-27.
- 김재철, 전혜선, 이충휘 등. 경부 통증 유무에 따른 심부 경부 굴곡근의 근력과 지구력 비교. 대한인간공학회. 2007;26(4):25-31.
- 김종두. 스트레칭운동이 요통 감소에 미치는 영향. 경희대학교 대학원. 석사학위논문. 1999.
- 남덕현, 이한경, 박재우 등. Medex 운동치료 프로그램이 경추근력과 통증에 미치는 영향. 용인대학교 논문집. 2000;18:299-319.
- 안승헌. 만성 경부통 환자의 치료적 접근. 코칭 능력개발지. 2005;7(3):15-21.
- 오덕원, 김선엽. 여성 만성 경통 환자에 대한 등척성 운동과 안정화 운동치료의 효과 비교. 한국전문물리치료학회지. 2008;15(2):1-10.
- 윤정호. Mckenzie 운동요법이 만성 견부통 환자의 머리, 어깨 자세에 미치는 영향. 한국체육대학교 대학원. 석사학위논문. 1998.
- 이현종, 남상수, 이윤호. 요통의 통증과 기능장애 평가에 관한 고찰. 대한침구학회지. 2002;19(2):137-48.
- 이성철, 채정룡, 김형준. 신경 전기 자극과 등척성 운동이 대퇴사두근력에 미치는 영향. 한국생활환경학회지. 2009;16(3):239-45.
- 정지연, 진영수, 김희상 등. 8주간 경부 자가 운동이 만성 경부 통증 환자의 통증, 경부기능장애지수, 가동범위 및 경추배열에 미치는 영향. 한국체육학회지. 2007;46(4):437-45.
- 허태원, 양영애, 박동식 등. 근육. 관절 통증 해소를 위한 근골격계 자가 운동치료. 목통증. 컴퓨터 관련 통증. 서울. 정담. 2006.
- Axen K, Hass F, Schicchi J et al. Progressive resistance neck exercise using a compressible ball copupled with an air pressure gauge. JOSPT. 1992;16(6):275-80. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.19126.96.36.1995
- Aggarwal P, Aggarwal B, Jani D. Clinical approach to neck pain. Indian Journal of Rheumatology. 2010;5(4):193-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0973-3698(11)60008-3
- Borg-stein J. Musculoskeletal head and neck pain. Seminars in Pain Medicine. 2004;2(2):85-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spmd.2004.04.004
- Bijur PE, Silver W, Gallagher EJ. Reliability of the visual analog scale for measurement of acute pain. Acad Emerg Med. 2001;8(12):1153-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1553-2712.2001.tb01132.x
- Cheng CH, Wang JL, Lin JJ et al. Position accuracy and electromyographic response during head reposition in young adults with chronic neck pain. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2010;20(5):1014-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2009.11.002
- Edmondston SJ, Wallumrod ME, Macleid F et al. Reliability of Isometric muscle endurance tests in subjects with postural neck pain. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2008;31(5):348-54 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmpt.2008.04.010
- Falla D, Gwendolen J, Dall'Alba P et al. An electromyographic analysis of the deep cervical flexor muscles during performance of craniocervical flexion. Phys Ther. 2003;83(10):899-906.
- Falla D. Unravelling the complexity of muscle impairment in chronic neck pain. Man Ther. 2004;9(3):125-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2004.05.003
- Hagberg M, Harms-Ringdahl K, Nisell R et al. Rehabilitaion of neck-shoulder pain in women industrial workers: a randomized trial comparing isometric shoulder endurance training with isometric shoulder strength training. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2000;81(8):1051-8. https://doi.org/10.1053/apmr.2000.7582
- Hakkinen A, Salo P, Tarcainen U et al. Effect of manual therapy and stretching on neck muslce strength and mobility in chronic neck pain. J Rehab Med. 2007;39(7):575-9. https://doi.org/10.2340/16501977-0094
- Halbertsma JPK, Mulder I, Goeken LN et al. Repeated passive stretching: acute effect on the passive muscle moment and extensibility of short hamstrings. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1999;80(4): 407-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(99)90277-0
- Hudswell S, Von Mengersen M, Lucas N. The craniocervical flexion test using pressure biofeedback: A useful measure of cervical dysfunction in the clinical setting?. IJOM. 2005;8(3):98-105.
- Kisner C, Colby LA. Therapeutic exercise; Foundation and techniques. F.A.Davis Company. 2002.
- Kjellman G, Oberg B. A randomized clinical trial comparing general exercise treatment and a control group in patients with neck pain. J Rehabil Med. 2002;34(4):183-90. https://doi.org/10.1080/16501970213233
- Magnusson SP. Passive properties of human skeletal muscle during stretch maneuvers. Scand J Med Sci Sport. 1998;8(2):65-77.
- Manoel ME. Acute effects of static, dynamic and proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation stretching on muscle power in women. J Strength Cond Res. 2009;22(5):1528-34.
- Marshell PW, Cashman A, Cheema BS. A randomized controlled trial for the effect of passive stretching on measures of hamstring extensibility, passive stiffness, strength and stretch tolerance. J Sci Med Sport. 2011;14(6):535-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsams.2011.05.003
- Mason M, Keays SL, Newcombe PA. The effect of taping, quadriceps strengthening and stretching prescribed seperately or combined on patellofemoral pain. Physiother Res Int. 2011;16(2):109-19. https://doi.org/10.1002/pri.486
- Mclearn SM, Moffett JK, Sharp DM. An investigation to determine the association between neck pain and upper disability for paitents with non-specific neck : A secondary analysis. Man Ther. 2011;16(5):434-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2011.01.003
- Medeiros JM, Smidt GL, Burmeister LF et al. The influence of isometric exercise and passive stretch on hip joint motion. Phys Ther. 1977;57(5):518-23. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/57.5.518
- Morgan DL, Proske U. Popping sarcomere hypothesis explains stretch-induced muscle damage. Clin Exp Phamacol Physiol. 2004;31(8):541-5. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1681.2004.04029.x
- Murphy DR. A critical look at static stretching Are we doing our patients harm? Chiropractic sports Medicine. 1991;5(3):67-70.
- Nelson RT, Bandy WD. Eccentric training and static stretching improve hamstring flexibility of high School males. J Athl Train. 2004;39(3):254-8.
- Posner J, Glew C. Neck pain. Ann Intern Med. 2002;136(10):758-9. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-136-10-200205210-00011
- Rubini EC, Costa AL, Gomes PS. The effects of stretching on strength performance. Sports Med. 2007;37(3):213-24. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-200737030-00003
- Sarig-Bahat H. Evidence for exercise therapy in mechanical neck disorders. Man Ther. 2003;8(1): 10-20. https://doi.org/10.1054/math.2002.0480
- Vernon H, Mior S. The neck disability Index: a study of reliability and validity. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1991;14(7):409-15.
- Wang WTJ, Olson SL, Campbell AH et al. Effectivness of Physical therapy for patients with neck pain : An individualized approach using a clinical decision-making algorithm. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2003;82(3):203-18.
- Watson DH, Trott PH. Cervical headache : An investigation of natural head posture and upper cervical flexor muscle performance. Cephalalgia. 1993;13(4):272-84. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1468-2982.1993.1304272.x
- Wewer ME, Lowe NK. A critical review of visual analogue scales in the measurement of clinical phenomena. Res Nurs Health. 1990;13(4):227-36. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.4770130405
- White CE, Dedrick GS. Apte GG et al. The effect of isometric shoulder internal and external rotation on the acromiohumeral distance. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2012;91(3):193-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/PHM.0b013e31823c74ab
- Wegner S, Jull G, O'Leary S. The effect of a scapular postural correction strategy on trapezius activity in patients with neck pain. Man Ther. 2010;15:562-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2010.06.006
- Ylinen J, Takala EP, Nykanen M et al. Active neck muscle training in the treatment of Chronic neck pain in Women, a randomized controlled trail. JAMA. 2003;289(19):2509-16. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.289.19.2509
- Ylinen J, Kautiainen H, Wiren K et al. Stretching exercise vs manual therapy in treatment of chronic neck pain: a randomized, control crossover trail. J Rehabil Med. 2007;39(2):126-32. https://doi.org/10.2340/16501977-0015
- Zohn DA, Mennell J McM. Musculoskeletal pain; Diagnosis and Physical Treatment. Boston. Little, Brown and Company. 1976.
- Preventive effects of stretching and stabilization exercises on muscle fatigue in mobile phone users vol.28, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.28.2529
- A Comparison of The Effect of Stretching Technique on Hamstring Muscle for Flexibility, Strength, Pressure Pain Threshold Value and Muscle Tone vol.12, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2017.12.4.39