- Volume 24 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on Work Condition, Stress, Role Conflict and Job Satisfaction of Infection Control Nurses Working in General Hospitals
종합병원 감염관리간호사의 업무실태와 스트레스, 역할갈등 및 직무만족에 관한 연구
Her, Sun;Kim, Kye-Ha;Oh, Hyang-Soon
- Received : 2012.04.16
- Accepted : 2012.07.31
- Published : 2012.08.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to investigate the work conditions, reported stress, role conflict and job satisfaction of infection control nurses working in general hospitals. Methods: The subjects were 125 infection control nurses from 102 general hospitals. Data were collected using a questionnaire consisting of questions about general characteristics, job characteristics, work condition, stress, role conflict, and job satisfaction. Data were collected from July to September 2011 and analyzed by descriptive statistics, independent t-test, one-way ANOVA, Scheffe test, Pearson's correlation, and Stepwise multiple regression in SPSS/WIN 18.0. Results: Over fifty percent (56.0%) of infection control nurses reported the majority of their time was monitoring intensive units. The average reported stress was 7.20, role conflict was 3.67, and job satisfaction was 3.14. The factors which influenced job satisfaction were stress, enough information, annual income, and the number of hospital beds. Conclusion: The factors contributing to job stress of infection control nurses need to be specifically identified. Education and training for infection control personnel should be provided to enhance job satisfaction.
Stress;Role;Job satisfaction;Infection control;Nurses
- Applebaum, D., Fowler, S., Fiedler, N., Osinubi, O., & Robson, M. (2010). The impact of environmental factors on nursing stress, job satisfaction, and turnover intention. Journal of Nursing Administration, 40 (7), 323-328. https://doi.org/10.1097/NNA.0b013e3181e9393b
- Bak, M. H. (2011). Path analysis of turnover intention of infection control nurses. Unpublished doctoral disseration, Gyeongsang National University, Jinju.
- Elder, R. G., & Bullough, B. (1990). Nurse Practitioners and clinical nurse specialist: Are the roles merging?. Clinical Nurse Specialist, 4 (2), 78-84. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002800-199022000-00006
- Haley, R. W., Culver, D. H., White, J. W., Morgan, W. M., Emori, T. G., Munn, V. P., et al. (1985). The efficacy of infection surveillance and control programs in preventing nosocomial infections in US hospitals. American Journal of Epidemiology, 121 (2), 182-205. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a113990
- Haley, R. W., Morgan, W. M., Culver, D. H., White, J. W., Emori, T. G., Mosser, J., et al. (1985). Update from SENIC project. hospital infection control: Recent progress and opportunities under prospective payments. American Journal of Infection Control, 13 (3), 97-108. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0196-6553(85)80010-9
- Jeong, J. S., & Kang, M. W. (2004). National survey and development of standardized practice on the infection control in Korea: Implications and policy. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare.
- Jeong, J. S., Yoon, S. W., Park, E. S., Kim, K. M., Yoo, S. Y., Jeong, I. S., et al. (2006). The present situation of infection control professionals, organization, and activities in Korean acute care general hospitals. Korean Journal of Nosocomial Infection Control, 9 (2), 139-150.
- Kim, K. M., Jeong, J. S., Park, H. R. (2010). Infection control nurse specialist education in Korea. American Journal of Infection Control, 8 (5), 413-415.
- Kim, M. S., & Park, S. Y. (1994). Development of a role conflict scale for clinical nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 25, 741-750.
- Kim, T. E., & Kim, K. H. (2009). Job status and job satisfaction among clinical research coordinator. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 15 (3), 336-345.
- Korea Health Industry Development Institute. (2004). Demand and supply planning for the advanced practice nurses. Seoul: Korea Health Industry Development Institute.
- Korean Hospital Association. (2011). The status of medical treatment center. Retrieved May 24, 2011, from http://www.hospitalmaps.or.kr/hm/frHospital/hospital_list_state.jsp?s_mid=020100
- Lee, H. J., Kang, Y. S., & Choi, E. S. (2006). A study on role conflict and job satisfaction of neurosurgery clinical nurses specialist. Journal of Korean Academy of Adult Nursing, 18, 304-313.
- Lee, M. S. (2011). Establishment of certification system in infection control. Retrieved June 15, 2012, from Korea Center for Disease Control and Prevention Web site: http://www.cdc.go.kr
- Lee, S. H. (2008). A study on the relationship between professional self-concept, self-efficacy and job satisfaction in clinical nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Adult Nursing, 20, 10-20.
- Lee, S. J. (1985). A study on head nurse's satisfaction on job. Unpublished Master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Lynn, M. R. (1986). Determination and quantification of content validity. Nursing Research, 35 (6), 382-385.
- Miho, S., Yuichi, I., Hiroyoshi, K., Takashi, O., Junko, K., Hiroe, K., et al. (2009). Factors affecting performance of hospital infection control in Japan. American Journal of Infection Control, 37 (2), 136-137. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2008.03.005
- Oh, H. S., & Yi, S. E. (2005). National survey on the current status of infection control nurses and their activities in general hospitals with more than 300 beds. Korean Journal of Nosocomial Infection Control, 10 (1), 32-42.
- Oh, H. S., Chung, H. W., Kim, J. S., & Cho, S. I. (2006). National survey of the status of infection surveillance and control programs in acute care hospitals with more than 300 beds in the Republic of Korea. American Journal of Infection Control, 34 (4), 223-233. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2006.01.003
- Park, E. S. (2009). Expended application of infection control education programs at medium-and snall sized hospitals and development of education programs for the improvement of capability of infection control nurses in Korea. Retrieved April 24, 2012, from Korea Center for Disease Control and Prevention Web site: http://www.cdc.go.kr
- Park, S. W., Kim, K. M., Kim, B. H., Kim, E. S., Kim, J. H., Kim, T. H., et al. (2006). Characteristics of hospitals participating in Korean nosocomial infections surveillance system 2006. Korean Journal of Nosocomial Infection Control, 11 (2), 105-112.
- Scheckler, W. E., Brimhall, D., Buck, A. S., Farr, B. M., Friedman, C., Garibaldi, R. A., et al. (1998). Requirements for infrastructure and essential activities of infection control and epidemiology in hospitals: A consensus panel report. Journal of Infection Control, 26, 47-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0196-6553(98)70061-6
- Slavitt, D. B., Stamps, P. L., Piedmont, E. B., & Hasse, A. M. (1978). Nurses satisfaction with their work situation. Nursing Research, 27 (2), 114-120.
- Stone, P. W., Andrew, D., Monika, P., Teresa, C., Horan, E., Yoko, F., et al. (2009). Staffing and structure of infection prevention and control programs. American Journal of Infection Control, 37 (5), 351-357. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2008.11.001
- Sung, M. H. (2006). A comparative study on role conflict and job satisfaction between nurses in ICU and nurses in general ward. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 12 (1), 104-112.
- Sung, M. H., & Oh, M. O. (2011). The relationships of professional self concept, role conflict and job satisfaction on emergency department nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 18 (1). 107-115.
- Ward, D. J. (2011). The role of education in the prevention and control of infection: A review of the literature. Nurse Education Today, 31, 9-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2010.03.007
- Factors Affecting Core Competencies among Infection Control Nurses in Korea vol.26, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2014.26.1.11
- Structural Equation Model for Job Stress in Intensive Care Unit Nurses vol.24, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2015.24.2.103
- Development and Evaluation of Job Stress Measurement Tool for Infection Control Nurses vol.19, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.5.622
- Stress, Self-esteem, and Powerlessness in Korean Husbands Married to Foreign Wives vol.24, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2013.24.1.29