- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Pancreatic Cancer in Universiti Sains Malaysia Hospital: A Retrospective Review of Years 2001-2008
- Norsa'adah, Bachok (Unit of Biostatistics & Research Methodology, School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia) ;
- Nur-Zafira, Azemi (Unit of Biostatistics & Research Methodology, School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia) ;
- Knight, Aishah (Advanced Medical & Dental Institute, Universiti Sains Malaysia)
- Published : 2012.06.30
Pancreatic cancer is usually detected late and has a high mortality rate. Since little is known about this cancer in Malaysia, a review of all cases admitted to Universiti Sains Malaysia Hospital was conducted to identify the epidemiological distribution and assess survival. A list of pancreatic cancer patients in 2001-2008 was obtained from the Hospital Record Department. Only cases confirmed by radio-imaging or histo-pathology examination were included. We excluded those with incomplete medical records. Kaplan-Meier and Cox proportional hazard approaches were used for data analysis. Only 56 cases were included with a mean (SD) age of 49.6 (16.0) years, with 60.7% males and 82.1% of Malay ethnicity. Previous history included cholelithiasis in 23.2%, diabetes mellitus in 16.1%, previous laparotomy in 10.7%, chronic pancreatitis in 7.1%, alcohol drinking in 5.4% and positive family history in 3.6%. The common presenting history included 67.9% loss of appetite, 66.1% loss of weight, 58.9% jaundice and 46.4% abdominal pain. Tumour staging was: 21.5% stage l, 17.8% stage ll, 3.6% stage lll and 57.1% stage lV. The median (95% CI) survival time was 3.4 (0.5, 6.3) months and significant prognostic factors were duration of symptoms (HR 0.97; 95% CI: 0.95, 0.99; p value 0.013), ascites (HR 2.64; 95% CI: 1.28, 5.44; p value 0.008) and Whipple surgery (HR 4.20; 95% CI: 2.27, 7.76; p value <0.001). The history of presenting complaints was short and the majority presented at late stages of the disease, thus the median survival time was very poor.
Pancreas carcinoma;treatment;survival rate;Malaysia
- Baine M, Sahak F, Lin C, et al (2011). Marital status and survival in pancreatic cancer patients: A SEER based analysis. PLoS One, 6, 21052. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0021052
- Bansal P, Sonnenberg A (1995). Pancreatitis is a risk factor for pancreatic cancer. Gastroenterol, 109, 247-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-5085(95)90291-0
- Barkin JJ, Goldstein JA (1999). Diagnostic approach to pancreatic cancer. Gastroenterol Clin N Am, 28, 709-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0889-8553(05)70083-2
- Bramhall SR, Allum WH, Jones AG, et al (1995). Treatment and survival in 13,560 patients with pancreatic cancer and incidence of the disease in the West Midlands: an epidemiological study. Br J Surg, 82, 111-5. https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.1800820137
- Chiou W-K, Huang B-Y, Chou W-Y, Weng HF, Lin J-D (2011). Incidences of cancers in diabetic and non-diabetic hospitalized adults patients in Taiwan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1577-81.
- Ghadirian P, Lynch HT, Krewski D (2003). Epidemiology of pancreatic cancer: an overview. Cancer Detection Prev, 27, 87-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0361-090X(03)00002-3
- Greenlee R, Hill-Harmon MB, Murray T (2001). Cancer statistics, 2001. CA Cancer J Clin, 51, 15-36. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.51.1.15
- Institute for Public Health (2008). The third national health and morbidity survey 2006, Executive summary, Ministry of Health, Kuala Lumpur, pg45.
- Lin Y, Tamakoshi A, Kawamura T, Inaba Y, et al (2001). An epidemiological overview of environmental and genetic factors of pancreatic cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 2, 271-80.
- Lowenfels AB, Maisonneuve P (2002). Epidemiology and etiological factors of pancreatic cancer. Hematol Oncol Clin N Am, 16, 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0889-8588(01)00003-X
- Luke C, Price T, Karapetis C, Singhal N, Roder D (2009). Pancreatic cancer epidemiology and survival in an Australian population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10,369-74.
- Murr MM, Sarr MG, Oishi AJ, et al (1994). Pancreatic cancer. Ca Cancer J Clin, 44, 304-18. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.44.5.304
- Zainal AO, Zainudin MA, Nor Saleha IT (2006). Malaysian cancer statistics- data and figure. Peninsular Malaysia 2006, National Cancer Registry, Ministry of Health, Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur.