- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
An Experimental Model for Induction of Lung Cancer in Rats by Chlamydia Pneumoniae
- Chu, De-Jie (Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Jinshan Hospital) ;
- Guo, Shui-Gen (Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Jinshan Hospital) ;
- Pan, Chun-Feng (Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Jinshan Hospital) ;
- Wang, Jing (Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Jinshan Hospital) ;
- Du, Yong (Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Jinshan Hospital) ;
- Lu, Xu-Feng (Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Jinshan Hospital) ;
- Yu, Zhu-Yuan (Zhongshan Hospital, Fudan University)
- Published : 2012.06.30
Objective: To assess induction effects of Chlamydia pneumoniae (Cpn) on lung cancer in rats. Methods: A lung cancer animal model was developed through repeated intratracheal injection of Cpn (TW-183) into the lungs of rats, with or without exposure to benzo(a)pyrene (Bp). Cpn antibodies (Cpn-IgA, -IgG, and -IgM) in serum were measured by microimmunofluorescence. Cpn-DNA or Cpn-Ag of rat lung cancer was detected through polymerase chain reaction or enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. Results: The prevalence of Cpn infection was 72.9% (35/48) in the Cpn group and 76.7% (33/43) in the Cpn plus benzo(a)pyrene (Bp) group, with incidences of lung carcinomas in the two groups of 14.6% (7/48) and 44.2% (19/43), respectively (P-values 0.001 and <0.000 compared with normal controls). Conclusions: A rat model of lung carcinoma induced by Cpn infection was successfully established in the laboratory for future studies on the treatment, prevention, and mechanisms of the disease.
Supported by : Shanghai Municipal Science and Technology Commission
- Anttila T, Koskela P, Leinonen M, et al (2003). Chlamydia pneumoniae infection and the risk of female early-onset lung cancer. Int J Cancer, 107, 681-2. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.11353
- Boelens MC, Gustafson AM, Postma DS, et al (2011). A chronic obstructive pulmonary disease related signature in squamous cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer, 72, 177-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2010.08.014
- Chaturvedi AK, Gaydos CA, Agreda P, et al (2010). Chlamydia pneumoniae infection and risk for lung cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 19, 1498-505. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-09-1261
- Chu DJ, Sun SM, Hu ZX, et al (2008). Correlation between Chlamydia pneumoniae and chronic obstractive pulmonary disease. Chin J Infect Chemother, 8, 260-5.
- Fan P, Dong F, Huang YQ, Zhong GM (2002). Chlamydia pneumoniae secrection of a proteases-like activity factor for degrading host cell transcription factor required for major histocompatibility complex antigen expression. Infection Immunity, 70, 345-9. https://doi.org/10.1128/IAI.70.1.345-349.2002
- Jackson LA, Wang SP, Nazar-Stewart V, Grayston JT, Vaughan TL (2000). Association of Chlamydia pneumoniae immunoglobulin A seropositivity and risk of lung cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 9, 1263-6.
- Karimi G, Samiei Sh, Hatami H, et al (2010). Detection of Chlamydia pneumoniae in peripheral blood mononuclear cells of healthy blood donors in Tehran Regional Educational Blood Transfusion Centre. Transfus Med, 20, 237-43. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3148.2010.01003.x
- Kocazeybek B (2003). Chronic Chlamydophila pneumoniae infection in lung cancer, a risk factor: a case-control study. J Med Microbiol, 52, 721-6. https://doi.org/10.1099/jmm.0.04845-0
- Koh WP, Chow VT, Phoon MC, Ramachandran N, Seow A (2005). Lack of association between chronic Chlamydophila pneumoniae infection and lung cancer among nonsmoking Chinese women in Singapore. Int J Cancer, 114, 502-4. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.20745
- Koyi H, Brandén E, Gnarpe J, Gnarpe H, Steen B (2001). An association between chronic infection with Chlamydia pneumoniae and lung cancer. A prospective 2-year study. APMIS, 109, 572-80. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0463.2001.d01-177.x
- Legan M, Vraspir-Porenta O, Kese K, Zorc-Pleskovic R, Zorc M (2004). Pathohistological changes in diffuse coronary atherosclerosis and chronic infection caused by Chlamydia pneumonia. Bosn J Basic Med Sci, 4, 19-22.
- Lin CY, Su SB, Chang CC, et al (2009). The association between Chlamydia pneumoniae and metabolic syndrome in Taiwanese adults. South Med J, 102, 1203-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/SMJ.0b013e3181c043d9
- Littman AJ, Jackson LA, Vaughan TL (2005). Chlamydia pneumoniae and lung cancer: epidemiologic evidence. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 14, 773-8. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-04-0599
- Littman AJ, White E, Jackson LA, et al (2004). Chlamydia pneumoniae infection and risk of lung cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 13, 1624-30.
Luo SQ, Liu XZ, Wang CJ (1995). Co-carcinogenic effect of crocidolite plus benzo(
$\alpha$)pyrene on the lungs of rats. J WCUMS, 26, 202-5.
- Punturieri A, Szabo E, Croxton TL, Shapiro SD, Dubinett SM (2009). Lung cancer and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: needs and opportunities for integrated research. J Natl Cancer Inst, 101, 554-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djp023
- Sessa R, Santino I, Di Pietro M, et al (2008). No evidence of involvement of Chlamydia pneumoniae in lung cancer by means of quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol, 21, 415-20.
- Smith JS, Kumlin U, Nyberg F, et al (2008). Lack of association between serum antibodies of Chlamydia pneumoniae infection and the risk of lung cancer. Int J Cancer, 123, 2469-71. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.23814
- Yen MY, Hu BS, Chen YS, et al (2005). A prospective etiologic study of community-acquired pneumonia in Taiwan. J Formos Med Assoc, 104, 724-30.
- Zhan P, Suo LJ, Qian Q, et al (2011). Chlamydia pneumoniae infection and lung cancer risk: A meta-analysis. Eur J Cancer, 47, 742-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2010.11.003
- Zhou HY, Hu ZX, Zhang X, Yu ZY (2011). Chronic Chlamydia pneumoniae infection is a risk factor of COPD. Chinese J Zoonoses, 27, 724-7.
- Zhou Y, Sun SM, Hu ZX, et al (2005). Chlamydia pneumoniae infection and lung neoplasms. Chin J Clin Med, 12, 44-6.
- Preparation and evaluation of monoclonal antibodies against chlamydial protease-like activity factor to detect Chlamydia pneumoniae antigen in early pediatric pneumonia vol.34, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10096-015-2343-8
- Systems Biology Approaches for the Prediction of Possible Role of Chlamydia pneumoniae Proteins in the Etiology of Lung Cancer vol.11, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0148530