- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Clinical Significance of Basal-like Breast Cancer in Chinese Women in Heilongjiang Province
- Liu, Ying (Department of Oncology, Second Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University) ;
- Jiang, Qiu-Ying (Department of Oncology, Second Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University) ;
- Xin, Tao (Department of Oncology, Second Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University) ;
- Cai, Li (Department of Oncology, Affiliated Oncology Hospital of Harbin Medical University) ;
- Zhao, Chang-Hong (Department of Oncology, Affiliated Oncology Hospital of Harbin Medical University)
- Published : 2012.06.30
Background: Our objective was to clarify the clinical and biological characteristics of basal-like breast cancer (BLBC) and non-basal-like breast cancer (TN3BKE) in Heilongjiang. Methods: We examined, by immunohistochemistry, expression of biological markers cytokeratin (CK) 5/6 and epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) and B cell specific moloney murine leukemia virus integration site 1( Bmi-1) in triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC). We studied the correlation between BLBC and several factors related to tumor progression, along with its prognostic value. Results: In the 229 cases of operable TNBC, BLBC was detected in 178 (77.7%) and TN3BKE- in 51 (22.2%). There was no significant difference in clinicopathological factors between them, However, BLBC was significantly associated with Bmi-1 expression (P=0.000) and shorter disease-free survival (DFS) (P = 0.045) and overall survival (OS) (P = 0.041). Conclusions: Compared with the non-basal group, patients with BLBC have a high expression of Bmi-1 and a poor prognosis.
Basal like;breast cancer;prognosis
- Arnes JB, Collett K, Akslen LA, et al (2008). Independent prognostic value of the basal-like phenotype of breast cancer and associations with EGFR and candidate stem cell marker BMI-1. Histopathology, 52, 370-80. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2559.2007.02957.x
- Bidard FC, Conforti R, Boulet T, et al (2007).negative phenotype accurately identify basal-like tumour? An immunohistochemical analysis based on 143 'triplenegative' breast cancers. Ann Oncol, 18, 1285-6. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdm360
- Brady-West DC, McGrowder DA (2011). Triple negative breast cancer: therapeutic and prognostic implications. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2139-43.
- Carey LA, Perou CM, Livasy CA, et al (2006). Race, breast cancer subtypes, and survival in the Carolina Breast CancerStudy. JAMA, 295, 2492-502. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.295.21.2492
- Cheang MC, Voduc D, Bajdik C, et al (2008). Basal-like breast cancer defined by five biomarkers has superior prognostic value than triple-negative phenotype. Clin Cancer Res, 14, 1368-76. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-07-1658
- Chuthapisith S, Permsapaya W, Warnnissorn M, et al (2012). Breast cancer subtypes identified by the ER, PR and HER-2 status in Thai women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 459-62. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.2.459
- EmadA Rakha, SomaiaE Elsheikh, MuhammedA Aleskandarany, et al (2009). Triple-Negative Breast Cancer: Distinguishing between Basal and Non-basal Subtypes. Clin Cancer Res, 15, April1.
- Foulkes WD, Stefansson IM, Chappuis PO, et al (2003). Germ line BRCA1 mutations and a basal epithelialphe-no type in breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst, 95, 1482-5. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djg050
- Goldhirsch A, Wood WC, Gelber RD, et al (2003). Meeting highlights: updated international expert consensus on the primary therapy of early breast cancer. J Clin Oncol, 21, 3357-65. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2003.04.576
- Kobayashi S (2008). Basal-like subtype of breast cancer: a review of its unique characteristics and their clinical significance. Breast Cancer, 15, 153-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12282-008-0034-3
- Lakhani SR, Reis-Filho JS, Fulford L, et al (2005). Prediction of BRCA1 status inpatients with breast cancer using estrogen receptor and basal phenotype. Clin Cancer Res, 11, 5175-80. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-04-2424
- Livasy CA, Perou CM, Karaca G, et al (2007). Identification of a basal-like subtype of breast ductal carcinoma insitu. HumPathol, 38, 197-204.
- Matos I, Dufloth R, Alvarenga M, er al (2005). p63, cytokeratin 5, and P-cadherin: three molecular markers to distinguish basal phenotype in breast carcinomas. Virchows Arch, 447, 688-94. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00428-005-0010-7
- Nielsen TO, Hsu FD, Jensen K, et al (2004). Immunohistochemical and clinical characterization of the basal-like subtype of invasive breast carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res, 10, 5367-74. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-04-0220
- Perou CM, Sorlie T, Eisen MB, et al (2000). Molecular portraits of human breast tumors. Nature, 406, 747-52. https://doi.org/10.1038/35021093
- Rakha EA, El-Sayed ME, Green AR, et al (2007). Prognostic markers in triple-negative breast cancer. Cancer, 109, 25-32. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.22381
- Sasa M, Bando Y, Takahashi M, et al (2008). Screening for basal marker expression is necessary or decision of therapeutic strategy for triple-negative breast cancer. J Surg Oncol, 97, 30-4. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.20906
- Shipitsin M, Campbell LL, Argani P, et al (2007). Molecular definition of breast tumor heterogeneity. Cancer Cell, 11, 259-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ccr.2007.01.013
- Sorlie T, Perou CM, Tibshirani R, et al (2001). Gene expression patterns of breast carcinomas distinguish tumor subclasses with clinical implications. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 98, 10869-74. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.191367098
- Sorlie T, Tibshirani R, Parker J, et al (2003). Repeated observation of breast tumor subtypes in independent gene expression datasets. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 100, 8418-23. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0932692100
- Sotiriou C, Neo SY, McShane LM, et al (2003). Breast cancer classification and prognosis based on gene expression profiles from a population-based study. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 100, 10393-8. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1732912100
- Tan DS, Marchio C, Jones RL, et al (2008). Triple negative breast cancer: molecular profiling and prognostic impact in adjuvant anthracycline-treated patients. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 111, 27-44. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-007-9756-8
- Tischkowitz M, Brunet JS, Begin LR, et al (2007). Use of immunohistochemical markers can refine prognosis in triple negative breast cancer. BMC Cancer, 7, 134. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-7-134
- Wang Y, Zhe H, Ding Z, Gao P, Zhang N, Li G (2012). Cancer stem cell marker Bmi-1 expression is associated with basallike phenotype and poor survival in breast cancer. World J Surg, 36, 1189-94. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-012-1514-3
- Xu Z, Liu H, Lv X, et al (2011). Knockdown of the Bmi-1 oncogene inhibits cell proliferation and induces cell apoptosis and is involved in the decrease of Akt phosphorylation in the human breast carcinoma cell line MCF-7. Oncol Rep, 25, 409-18.
- Yamamoto Y, Ibusuki M, Nakano M, et al (2009). Clinical significance of basal-like subtype in triple-negative breast cancer. Breast Cancer, 16, 260-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12282-009-0150-8
- Triple Negative Breast Cancer vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2427
- Clinicopathological Characteristics of Triple Negative Breast Cancer at a Tertiary Care Hospital in India vol.15, pp.24, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.24.10577
- Targeting CD151 by lentivirus-mediated RNA interference inhibits luminal and basal-like breast cancer cell growth and invasion vol.407, pp.1-2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11010-015-2459-2