- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Comparing Endoscopy and Upper Gastrointestinal X-ray for Gastric Cancer Screening in South Korea: A Cost-utility Analysis
- Chang, Hoo-Sun (Department of Preventive Medicine, Yonsei University) ;
- Park, Eun-Cheol (Department of Preventive Medicine, Yonsei University) ;
- Chung, Woo-Jin (Institute of Health Services Research, Yonsei University) ;
- Nam, Chung-Mo (Department of Preventive Medicine, Yonsei University) ;
- Choi, Kui-Son (National Cancer Control Research Institute, National Cancer Center) ;
- Cho, Eun (Department of Preventive Medicine, Yonsei University) ;
- Cho, Woo-Hyun (Department of Preventive Medicine, Yonsei University)
- Published : 2012.06.30
Background: There are limited data evaluating the cost-effectiveness of gastric cancer screening using endoscopy or upper gastrointestinal x-ray in the general population. Objective: To evaluate the cost-effectiveness of population-based screening for gastric cancer in South Korea by decision analysis. Methods: A time-dependent Markov model for gastric cancer was constructed for healthy adults 30 years of age and older, and a deterministic sensitivity analysis was performed. Cost-utility analysis with multiple strategies was conducted to compare the costs and effects of 13 different screening alternatives with respect to the following eligibility criteria: age at the beginning of screening, screening interval, and screening method. The main outcome measurement was the incremental cost-effectiveness ratio. Results: The results revealed that annual endoscopic screening from ages 50-80 was the most cost-effective for the male population. In the females, biennial endoscopy screening from ages 50-80 was calculated as the most cost-effective strategy among the 12 screening alternatives. The most cost-effective screening strategy may be adjustable according to the screening costs and the distribution of cancer stage at screening. The limitation was that effectiveness data were obtained from published sources. Conclusions: Using the threshold of $19,162 per quality-adjusted life year on the basis of the Korean gross domestic product (2008), as suggested by the World Health Organization, endoscopic gastric cancer screening starting at the age of 50 years was highly cost-effective in the Korean population. The national recommendation for gastric cancer screening should consider the starting age of screening, the screening interval, and the screening modality.
Stomach neoplasms;mass screening;endoscopy;quality-adjusted life years;Korea
- Babazono A, Hillman AL (1995). Declining cost-effectiveness of screening for disease. The case of gastric cancer in Japan. Int J Technology Assess Health Care, 11, 354-64. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0266462300006954
- Choi IJ (2009). Gastric cancer screening and diagnosis. Korean J Gastroenterol, 54, 67-76. https://doi.org/10.4166/kjg.2009.54.2.67
- Dan YY, So JB, Yeoh KG (2006). Endoscopic screening for gastric cancer. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol, 4, 709-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cgh.2006.03.025
- Ferlay J, Bray F, Pisani P, et al (2004). Cancer incidence, mortality and prevalence worldwide (2.0 ed.): Lyon: IARC Press.
- Fujita S (1978). Biology of early gastric carcinoma. Pathol Res Pract, 163, 297-309. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0344-0338(78)80028-4
- Gerson LB, Groeneveld PW, Triadafilopoulos G. (2004). Cost-effectiveness model of endoscopic screening and surveillance in patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol, 2, 868-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1542-3565(04)00394-5
- Gold MR, Franks P, McCoy KI, et al (1998). Toward consistency in cost-utility analyses: using national measures to create condition-specific values. Medical Care, 36, 778-92. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-199806000-00002
- Hamashima C, Sobue T, Muramatsu Y, et al (2006). Comparison of observed and expected numbers of detected cancers in the research center for cancer prevention and screening program. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 36, 301-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyl022
- Han JY, Son H, Lee WC, et al (2003). The correlation between gastric cancer screening method and the clinicopathologic features of gastric cancer. Med Oncol, 20, 265-9. https://doi.org/10.1385/MO:20:3:265
- Hanmer J, Lawrence W F, Anderson J P, et al (2006). Report of nationally representative values for the noninstitutionalized US adult population for 7 healthrelated quality-of-life scores. Medical Decision Making, 26, 391-400. https://doi.org/10.1177/0272989X06290497
- Hansson L E, Sparen P, Nyren O (1999). Survival in stomach cancer is improving: results of a nationwide populationbased Swedish study. Annals of Surgery, 230, 162-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000658-199908000-00005
- Hawkins N, Scupher M, Epstein D (2005). Cost-effectiveness analysis of treatments for chronic disease: Using R to incorporate time dependency of treatment response. Medical Decision Making, 25, 511-9. https://doi.org/10.1177/0272989X05280562
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) (2011). World Economic Outlook Databases, World Economic and Financial Surveys. September 2011. from http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2011/02/weodata/download.aspx
- Kim H-J (2008). The survival rate by cancer stage (Cancer center, Yonsei University). Retrieved November 11, 2008, from http://news.donga.com/3/all/20081111/8655819/1
- Kim J-W, Ju J-S, Kim J-M, et al (2010). The Medical Cost and Utilization of Cancer From the Diagnosis to the Death - 2001-2005 (In Korean): Health Insurance Reiview Agencyo. Document Number)
- Kim S Y, Kim S G, Park J H, et al (2009). Costs of initial cancer care and its affecting factors. J Prev Med Public Hlth, 42, 43-250 (in Korean).
- Kim Y, Jun J K, Choi K S, et al (2011). Overview of the national cancer screening programme and the cancer screening status in Korea. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 725-30.
- Kim Y S, Park H A, Kim B S, et al (2000) Efficacy of screening for gastric cancer in a Korean adult population: a case-control study. J Korean Med Sci, 15, 510-5. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2000.15.5.510
- Korea Central Cancer Registry. (2010). Annual report of cancer statistics in Korea in 2008: Ministry of Health and Welfare, National Cancer Center, Korea Central Cancer Registry.
- Korea National Statistical Office (2010). Annual Report on the Vital Statistics (2008). Seoul: Korea National Statistics Office.
- Kubota, H, Kotoh T, Masunaga R, et al(2000). Impact of screening survey of gastric cancer on clinicopathological features and survival: retrospective study at a single institution. Surgery, 128, 41-47. https://doi.org/10.1067/msy.2000.106812
- Kunisaki C, Ishino J, Nakajima S, et al(2006). Outcomes of mass screening for gastric carcinoma. Ann Surgical Oncol, 13, 221-228. https://doi.org/10.1245/ASO.2006.04.028
- Lee H Y, Park E C, Jun J K, et al(2010). Comparing upper gastrointestinal X-ray and endoscopy for gastric cancer diagnosis in Korea. World J Gastroenterol, 16, 245-50. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v16.i2.245
- Leung W K, Wu M S, Kakugawa Y, et al(2008). Screening for gastric cancer in Asia: current evidence and practice. Lancet Oncol, 9, 279-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(08)70072-X
- Maconi G, Manes G, Porro G B (2008). Role of symptoms in diagnosis and outcome of gastric cancer. World J Gastroenterol, 14, 1149-1155. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.14.1149
- Ministry of Health and Welfare Republic of Korea. (2004). National Cancer Control Guideline. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare.
- Miyamoto A, Kuriyama S, Nishino Y, et al (2007). Lower risk of death from gastric cancer among participants of gastric cancer screening in Japan: a population-based cohort study. Prev Med, 44, 12-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2006.07.016
- Nam Jun-Sik (2010). National Cancer Screening (In Korean). J Korean Med Assoc, 53, 386-91. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2010.53.5.386
- Nam S Y, Choi I J, Park K W, et al (2009). Effect of repeated endoscopic screening on the incidence and treatment of gastric cancer in health screenees. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 21, 855-60. https://doi.org/10.1097/MEG.0b013e328318ed42
- National Cancer Center. (2008). National Cancer Screening Participation. Goyang: National Cancer Center.
- National Cancer Information Center (2011). The survey of cancer screening participation behavior (2010) (In Korean). Increased participation rate for gastric cancer screening, 2011, from http://cancerinfo.egloos.com/1984403
- Park EC (2006). The efficacy of cancer screening and cancer cost (2006). Goyang: National Cancer Centero. Document Number)
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, et al (2001). Estimating the world cancer burden: Globocan 2000. Int J Cancer, 94, 153-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.1440
- Probst A, Golger D, Arnholdt H, et al (2009). Endoscopic submucosal dissection of early cancers, flat adenomas, and submucosal tumors in the gastrointestinal tract. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol, 7, 149-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cgh.2008.09.005
- Shin H R, Jung K W, Won Y J, et al (2007). National cancer incidence for the year 2002 in Korea. Cancer Res Treat, 39, 139-49. https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2007.39.4.139
- Tsubono Y, Nishino Y, Tsuji I, et al (2000). Screening for Gastric Cancer in Miyagi, Japan: Evaluation with a population-based cancer registry. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 1, 57-60.
- Tsukuma H, Oshima A, Narahara, H, et al (2000). Natural history of early gastric cancer: a non-concurrent, long term, follow up study. Gut, 47, 618-21. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.47.5.618
- Wang S J, Fuller C D, Choi M, et al (2008). A costeffectiveness analysis of adjuvant chemoradiotherapy for resected gastric cancer. Gastrointestinal Cancer Res, 2, 57-63.
- World Health Organization (2001). Report of the Commission on Macroeconomics and Health : investing in health for economic development. Geneva: World Health Organization.
- Yeh, JM, Ho W, Hur C (2010). Cost-effectiveness of endoscopic surveillance of gastric ulcers to improve survival. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, 72, 33-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gie.2010.01.047
- Yeh JM, Hur C, Kuntz K M, et al (2010). Cost-effectiveness of treatment and endoscopic surveillance of precancerous lesions to prevent gastric cancer. Cancer, 116, 2941-53. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.25030
- Yeun J M (1992). Diagnosis and endoscopic treatment of gastric cancer. J Korean Med Assoc, 7, 834-42.
- Cost-effectiveness Outcomes of the National Gastric Cancer Screening Program in South Korea vol.14, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.2533
- A Cost-Effectiveness Analysis Evaluating Endoscopic Surveillance for Gastric Cancer for Populations with Low to Intermediate Risk vol.8, pp.12, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0083959
- Risk of Lymph Node Metastases from Early Gastric Cancer in Relation to Depth of Invasion: Experience in a Single Institution vol.15, pp.13, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5371
- The Korean guideline for gastric cancer screening vol.58, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2015.58.5.373
- Periodic Endoscopies Might Not Increase the Detection of Early Gastric Cancer in a Young Population vol.11, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0159759
- Determining the cost-effectiveness of endoscopic surveillance for gastric cancer in patients with precancerous lesions vol.12, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/ajco.12569
- The Influence of Gastric Cancer Screening on the Stage at Diagnosis and Survival vol.50, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1097/MCG.0000000000000466
- Does the interval of screening endoscopy affect survival in gastric cancer patients? vol.95, pp.49, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000005490
- Endoscopic screening for gastric cancer: A cost-utility analysis for countries with an intermediate gastric cancer risk pp.2050-6414, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/2050640617722902
- Gastric Cancer Screening Uptake Trends in Korea vol.94, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000000533