- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Distinct Involvement of 9p21-24 and 13q14.1-14.3 Chromosomal Regions in Raw Betel-Nut Induced Esophageal Cancers in the State of Meghalaya, India
- Rai, Avdhesh K. (Molecular Genetics Laboratory, Department of Biotechnology and Bioinformatics, North-Eastern Hill University) ;
- Freddy, Allen J. (Molecular Genetics Laboratory, Department of Biotechnology and Bioinformatics, North-Eastern Hill University) ;
- Banerjee, Atanu (Molecular Genetics Laboratory, Department of Biotechnology and Bioinformatics, North-Eastern Hill University) ;
- Kurkalang, Sillarine (Molecular Genetics Laboratory, Department of Biotechnology and Bioinformatics, North-Eastern Hill University) ;
- Rangad, Gordon M. (Surgical Division, Nazareth Hospital) ;
- Islam, Mohammad (Surgical Division, Nazareth Hospital) ;
- Nongrum, Henry B. (Otolaryngology and Head Neck Surgery Department, Nazareth Hospital) ;
- Dkhar, Hughbert (Histopathology Division, Nazareth Hospital) ;
- Chatterjee, Anupam (Molecular Genetics Laboratory, Department of Biotechnology and Bioinformatics, North-Eastern Hill University)
- Published : 2012.06.30
Background: Raw betel nut (RBN) chewing is an important contributing factor for esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC), although associated genomic changes remain unclear. One difficulty in assessing the effects of exclusively RBN induced genetic alterations has been that earlier studies were performed with samples of patients commonly using tobacco and alcohol, in addition to betel-quid. Both CDKN2A (at 9p21) and Rb1 gene (at 13q14.2) are regarded as tumor suppressors involved in the development of ESCC. Therefore, the present study aimed to verify the RBN's ability to induce ESCC and assess the involvement of CDKN2A and Rb1 genes. Methods: A panel of dinucelotide polymorphic markers were chosen for loss of heterozygosity studies in 93 samples of which 34 were collected from patients with only RBN-chewing habit. Promoter hypermethylation was also investigated. Results: Loss in microsatellite markers D9S1748 and D9S1749, located close to exon
- Beijersbergen RL, Bernards R (1996). Cell cycle regulation by the retinoblastoma family of growth inhibitory proteins. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1287, 103-20.
- Chatterjee A, Deb S (1999). Genotoxic effects of arecoline either by the peritoneal or oral route in murine bone marrow cells and the influence of N-acetylcysteine. Cancer Letters, 13, 23-31.
- Chattopadhyay I, Singh A, Phukan R, et al (2010). Genomewide analysis of chromosomal alterations in patients with esophageal squamous cell carcinoma exposed to tobacco and betel quid from high-risk area in India. Mutat Res, 696, 130-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mrgentox.2010.01.001
- Christopher SA, Diegelman P, Porter CW, et al (2002). Methylthio-adenosine phosphorylase a gene frequently codeleted with p16(cdkN2a/ARF), acts as a tumor suppressor in a breast cancer cell line. Cancer Res, 62, 6639-44.
- Contu SS , Contu P C, Damin D C et al (2007). pRB expression in esophageal mucosa of individuals at high risk for squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus. World J Gastroenterol, 13, 1728-31. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v13.i11.1728
- Dave BJ, Trivedi AH, Adhvaryu SC (1991). Cytogenetic studies reveal increased genomic damage among 'pan masala' consumers. Mutagenesis, 6, 159-64. https://doi.org/10.1093/mutage/6.2.159
- Dave BJ, Trivedi AH, Adhvaryu SC (1992). Role of areca nut consumption in the cause of oral cancer. Cancer, 70, 1017-23. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19920901)70:5<1017::AID-CNCR2820700502>3.0.CO;2-#
- Deb S, Chatterjee A (1998). Influence of buthionine sulfoximine and reduced glutathione on arecoline-induced chromosomal damage and sister chromatid exchange in mouse bone marrow cells in vivo. Mutagenesis, 13, 243-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/mutage/13.3.243
- Fan CY (2004). Epigenetic alterations in head and neck cancer: prevalence, clinical significance and implications. Curr Oncol Rep, 6, 152-61. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11912-004-0027-0
- Fujiwara S, Noguchi T, Takeno S, et al (2008). Hypermethylation of p16 gene promoter correlates with loss of p16 expression that results in poor prognosis in esophageal squamous cell carcinomas. Disease Esophagous, 21, 125-31. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2050.2007.00735.x
- IARC monographs on the evaluation of the carcinogenic risks to humans, (1985) vol 37. Tobacco habits other than smoking: betel-quid and areca nut chewing: and some related nitrosamines, in: International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France, p, 141-200.
- Illei PB, Rusch VW, Zakowski MF, et al (2003). Momozygous deletion of CDKN2A and codeletion of the methylthioadenosine phosphorylase gene in the majority of pleural mesotheliomas. Clinical Cancer Res, 9, 2108-13.
- Jayasurya R, Sathyan KM, Lakshminarayanan K, et al (2005). Phenotypic alterations in Rb pathway have more prognostic influence than p53 pathway proteins in oral carcinoma. Mod Pathol, 18, 1056-66. https://doi.org/10.1038/modpathol.3800387
- Jussawalla DJ, Deshpande VA (1971). Evaluation of cancer risk in tobacco chewers and smokers: an epidemiologic assessment. Cancer, 28, 244-52. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(197107)28:1<244::AID-CNCR2820280150>3.0.CO;2-H
- Ko JM, Chan PL, Yau WL, et al (2008). Monochromosome transfer and microarray analysis identify a critical tumorsuppressive region mapping to chromosome 13q14 and THSD1 in esophageal carcinoma. Mol Cancer Res, 6, 592-603. https://doi.org/10.1158/1541-7786.MCR-07-0154
- Kumpawat K, Chatterjee A (2003). The usefulness of cytogenetic, level of p53 protein and endogenous glutathione in raw betelnut chewers as intermediate end- points in raw betel-nut genotoxicity. Human Experimental Toxicology, 22, 363-71.
- Phukan RK, Ali MS, Chetia CK, et al (2001). Betel-nut and tobacco chewing: potential risk factors of cancer of esophagous in Assam, India Br J Cancer, 85, 661-7. https://doi.org/10.1054/bjoc.2001.1920
- Ruas M, Peters G (1998). The p16INK4a/CDKN2A tumor suppressor and its relatives. Biochem Biophys Acta, 1378, 115-77.
- Serrano M, Hannon GJ, Beach D (1993). A new regulatory motif in cell-cycle control causing specific inhibition of cyclinD/CDK4. Nature, 366, 704-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/366704a0
- Sharan RN (1996). Association of betel nut with carcinogenesis, Cancer J, 9, 13-9.
- Sherr CJ, Roberts JM (1995). Inhibitors of mammalian G1 cyclin-dependent kinases. Genes Development, 9, 1149-63. https://doi.org/10.1101/gad.9.10.1149
- Simpson DJ, McNicol AM, Murray DC, et al (2004). Molecular pathology shows p16 methylation in nonadenomatous pituitaries from patients with Cushing's disease. Clin Cancer Res, 10, 1780-8. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-1127-3
- Simpson DJ, Hibberts NA, McNicol AM, et al (2000). Loss of pRb expression in pituitary adenomas is associated with methylation of the RB1 CpG island. Cancer Res, 60, 1211-6.
- Soni S, Kaur J, Kumar A, et al (2004). Alterations of Rb pathway components are frequent events in patients with oral epithelial dysplasia and predict clinical outcome in patients with squamous cell carcinoma. Oncology, 68, 314-25.
- Stoner GD, Gupta A (2001). Etiology and chemoprevention of esophageal cell carcinoma. Carcinogenesis, 22, 1737-46. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/22.11.1737
- Tripathi A, Dasgupta S, Roy A, et al (2003). Sequential deletions in both arms of chromosome 9 are associated with the development of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma in Indian patients. J Exp Clin Cancer Res, 22, 289-97.
- Veeriah S, Brennan C, Meng S, et al (2009). The tyrosine phosphatase PTPRD is a tumor suppressor that is frequently inactivated and mutated in glioblastoma and other human cancers. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 106, 9435-40. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0900571106
- Xing EP, Nie Y, Song Y, et al (1999). Mechanisms of inactivation of p14ARF, p15INK4b and p16INK4a genes in human esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res, 5, 2704-13.
- Znaor A, Brennan P, Gajalakshmi V, et al (2003). Independent and combined effects of tobacco smoking, chewing and alcohol drinking on the risk of oral, pharyngeal and esophageal cancers in Indian men. Int J Cancer, 105, 681-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.11114
- Descriptive Report on Pattern of Variation in Cancer Cases within Selected Ethnic Groups in Kamrup Urban District of Assam, 2009-2011 vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6381
- Patterns of Upper Aero-digestive Tract Cancers in Kamrup Urban District of Assam: A Retrospective Study vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7267
- Association of Smoking, Alcohol Use, and Betel Quid Chewing with Epigenetic Aberrations in Cancers vol.18, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms18061210