- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Insights into the Tobacco Cessation Scenario among Dental Graduates: An Indian Perspective
- Binnal, A. (Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology, Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal University) ;
- Rajesh, G. (Department of Public Health Dentistry, Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal University) ;
- Denny, C. (Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology, Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal University) ;
- Ahmed, J. (Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology, Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal University)
- Published : 2012.06.30
Introduction: To curb the ever growing menace of tobacco and its ill effects, it is essential to prevent its usage. Dental professionals' contributions can be invaluable in this venture. Objectives: To assess Indian dental graduates' knowledge, attitude and practices towards tobacco cessation; perceived effectiveness in pursuing tobacco cessation activities; perception of factors that interfere in tobacco cessation as barriers; and willingness to participate in tobacco cessation. Further, to determine associations among the aforementioned variables. Methodology: All house surgeons in Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal University, Mangalore were included in the study. A structured, pre-tested and self-administered questionnaire was employed to assess participants' knowledge, attitude, behavior, perceived effectiveness, perceived barriers and willingness to participate in tobacco cessation. Information regarding respondents' age, gender and residence was collected. Results: A total of 100 out of 103 respondents participated in the study. Mean knowledge, attitude, behavior, perceived effectiveness, perceived barrier scores were
- Cannick GF, Horowitz AM, Reed SG, Drury TF, Day TA (2006). Opinions of South Carolina dental students toward tobacco use interventions. J Public Health Dent, 66, 44-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.2006.tb02550.x
- Carr A, Ebbert J (2006). Interventions for tobacco cessation in the dental setting. Cochrane database of systematic reviews, Issue 1, Art. No.: CD005084. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD005084.pub2.
- Danaei G, Vander Hoorn S, Lopez AD, Murray CJ, Ezzati M (2005). Comparative risk assessment collaborating group (Cancers). Causes of cancer in the world: comparative risk assessment of nine behavioural and environmental risk factors. Lancet, 366, 1784-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(05)67725-2
- Deatona C, Froelicher ES, Wuc LH (2011). The global burden of cardiovascular disease. Eur J Cardiovasc Nursing, 10, 5-13.
- Ezzati M, Lopez AD (2004). Regional, disease specific patterns of smoking-attributable mortality in 2000. Tob Control, 13, 388-95. https://doi.org/10.1136/tc.2003.005215
- Ezzati M, Henley SJ, Lopez AD, Thun MJ (2005). Role of smoking in global and regional cancer epidemiology: current patterns and data needs. Int J Cancer, 116, 963-71. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.21100
- Ezzati M, Henley SJ, Michael J, Thun MJ, Lopez AD (2005). Role of smoking in global and regional cardiovascular mortality. Circulation, 112, 489-97. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.104.521708
- Gajalakshmi V, Peto R, Kanaka TS, Jha P (2003). Smoking and mortality from tuberculosis and other diseases in India: retrospective study of 43000 adult male deaths and 35000 controls. Lancet, 362, 507-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)14109-8
- Gansky SA, Ellison JA, Kavanagh C, Hilton JF, Walsh M (2002). Oral screening and brief spit tobacco cessation counseling: A review and findings. J Dent Educ, 66, 1088-98.
- Jang AS, Park SW, Kim DJ, et al (2010). Effects of smoking cessation on Airflow obstruction and quality of life in asthmatic smokers. Allergy Asthma Immunol Res, 2, 254-9. https://doi.org/10.4168/aair.2010.2.4.254
- John RM, Sung HY, Max W (2009). Economic cost of tobacco use in India, 2004. Tob Control, 18, 138-43. https://doi.org/10.1136/tc.2008.027466
- Johnson N (2001). Tobacco use and oral cancer: A global perspective. J Dent Educ, 65, 328-39.
- Kanavos P (2006). The rising burden of cancer in the developing world. Annals of Oncol, 17, (15-23).
- Kenfield SA, Stampfer MJ, Rosner BA, Colditz GA (2008). Smoking and smoking cessation in relation to mortality. JAMA, 299, 2037-47. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.299.17.2037
- Lloyd-Jones D, Adams RJ, Brown TM, et al (2010). Heart disease and stroke statistics-2010 update: A report from the American heart association. Circulation, 121, 46-215. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.109.192667
- Mathers CD, Loncar D (2006). Projections of global mortality and burden of disease from 2002 to 2030. PLoS Med, 3, 442. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.0030442
- Mellsted H (2006). Cancer initiatives in developing countries. Annals of Oncol, 17, (24-31).
- Murray CJ, Lopez AD (1997). Alternative projections of mortality and disability by cause 1990-2020: Global Burden of Disease Study. Lancet, 349, 1498-504. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(96)07492-2
- Murthy NS, Mathew A (2004). Cancer epidemiology, prevention and control. Current Science, 86, 518-27.
- Murthy P, Saddicchha S (2010). Tobacco cessation services in India: Recent developments and the need for expansion. Indian J Cancer, 47, 69-74. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-509X.63873
- Pelkonen M, Notkola IL, Tukiainen H, et al (2001). Smoking cessation, decline in pulmonary function and total mortality: a 30 year follow up study among the Finnish cohorts of the Seven Countries Study. Thorax, 56, 703-7. https://doi.org/10.1136/thorax.56.9.703
- Pendharkar B (2009). Fourth year dental students' barriers to tobacco intervention services. Thesis, university of iowa. http://ir.uiowa.edu/etd/419.
- Polychonopoulou A, Gatou T, Athanassouli T (2004). Greek dental students' attitudes toward tobacco control programmes. Int Dent J, 54, 119-25. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1875-595X.2004.tb00266.x
- Rajasundaram P, Sequeira PS, Jain J (2011). Perceptions of dental students in India about smoking cessation counseling. J Dent Educ, 75, 1603-10.
- Rikard-Bell G, Groenlund C, Ward J (2003). Australian dental students' views about smoking cessation counseling and their skills as counselors. J Public Health Dent, 63, 200-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.2003.tb03500.x
- Samet JM (1992). The health benefits of smoking cessation. Med Clin North Am, 76, 399-414.
- Shah PB, Pednekar MS, Gupta PC, Sinha DN (2008). The relationship between tobacco advertisements and smoking status of youth in India. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 9, 637-64.
- Tangade PS, Ravishankar TL, Tirth A, Mathur A, Gupta V (2011). Attitude of dental students, interns and practicing dentists towards tobacco use cessation. J Oral Health Comm Dent, 5, 15-8.
- Tomar SL (2001). Dentistry's role in tobacco control. JADA, 132, 31-5.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (2012). Preventing tobacco use among youth and young adults: A report of the surgeon general. Atlanta, GA: U.S. department of health and human services, Centers for disease control and prevention, National center for chronic disease prevention and health promotion, Office on smoking and health.
- US Department of Health and Human Services (1990). The health benefits of smoking cessation: a report of the surgeon general. Betheseda, MD: US public health service, Office on smoking and health; 1990.
- Uti OG, Sofola OO (2011). Smoking cessation counseling in dentistry: Attitudes of nigerian dentists and dental students. J Dent Educ, 75, 406-12.
- Vanobbergen J, Nuytens P, Van Herk M, De Visschere L (2007). Dental students' attitude towards anti-smoking programmes: a study in Flanders, Belgium. Eur J Dent Educ, 11, 177-83. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0579.2007.00456.x
- Warnakulasuriya S (2002). Effectiveness of tobacco counseling in the dental office. J Dent Educ, 66, 1079-87.
- White WB (2007). Smoking related morbidity and mortality in the cardiovascular setting. Prev Cardiol, 10, 1-4. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1520-037X.2007.06050.x
- Winn DM (2001). Tobacco use and oral disease. J Dent Educ, 65, 306-12.
- World Health Organisation (2009). WHO Report on the Global Tobacco Epidemic 2009: Implementing Smoke-free Environments. Geneva: WHO.
- World Health Organisation (2011). Economics of tobacco toolkit: assessment of the economic costs of smoking. Geneva: WHO.
- Wu J, Sin DD (2011). Improved patient outcome with smoking cessation: when is it too late? Int J COPD, 6, 259-67.
- Yip JK, Hay JL, Ostroff JS, Stewart RK, Cruz GD (2000). Dental students' attitudes toward smoking cessation guidelines. J Dent Educ, 64, 641-50.
- Zhang H, Cai B (2003). The impact of tobacco on lung health in China. Respirology, 8, 17-21. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1440-1843.2003.00433.x
- Zhang J, Ou JX, Bai CX (2011). Tobacco smoking in China: prevalence, disease burden, challenges and future strategies. Respirology, 16, 1165-72. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1843.2011.02062.x
- Dental Practitioners Self Reported Performance of Tobacco Cessation Counseling Interventions: A Cross Sectional Study vol.14, pp.10, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.6141
- Role of Dental Institutions in Tobacco Cessation in India: Current Status and Future Prospects vol.14, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2673
- Integration of Tobacco Control in Masters of Public Health Curricula of India vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5611
- Tobacco Cessation in India: How Can Oral Health Professionals Contribute? vol.15, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2383
- Effectiveness of Tobacco Education for Pharmacy Students in Indonesia vol.15, pp.24, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.24.10783
- Attitude and Practices Among Dentists and Senior Dental Students in Iran Toward Tobacco Cessation as an Effort to Prevent Oral Cancer vol.16, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.1.333
- Impact of Smoking Cessation Training for Community Pharmacists in Indonesia vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3319