- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Case-control Study of Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms of PSCA and MUC1 Genes with Gastric Cancer in a Chinese
- Li, Fang (Department of Oncology, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University) ;
- Zhong, Mei-Zuo (Department of Oncology, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University) ;
- Li, Jian-Huang (Department of Oncology, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University) ;
- Liu, Wei (Department of Oncology, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University) ;
- Li, Bin (Department of Oncology, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University)
- Published : 2012.06.30
Aims: A case-control study of 300 gastric cancer patients and 300 controls was conducted to investigate whether the polymorphisms rs2294008 in PSCA and rs2070803 in MUC1 might be associated with risk of gastric cancer in a Chinese population. Methods: Single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) were genotyped using the Sequenom MassARRAY platform. Results: The data showed that the rs2294008 TT genotype increased gastric cancer risk to an adjusted odds ratio (OR) of 2.26 (95%CI 1.25-4.07), TC to 1.72 (95%CI 1.23-2.42) and TC/TT to 1.81 (95% CI 1.31-2.50), while the rs2070803 GA genotype was associated with a decrease in risk to an adjusted OR of 0.42 (95% CI 0.28-0.62) and rs2070803 GA / AA to 0.46 (95% CI 0.32-0.67). Further stratification analysis revealed that rs2294008 in PSCA consistently increased risk of both intestinal and diffuse-type gastric cancers. The effect of rs2070803 in MUC1 was noteworthily also consistent with both subtypes. Conclusions: Our study suggested rs2294008 in the PSCA gene to be associated with increased risk of gastric cancer and rs2070803 in MUC1 to play a protective role in a Chinese population.
- Argani P, Rosty C, Reiter RE, et al (2001). Discovery of new markers of cancer through serial analysis of gene expression: Prostate stem cell antigen is overexpressed in pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Cancer Res, 61, 4320-4.
- Bahrenberg G, Brauers A, Joost HG et al (2000). Reduced expression of psca, a member of the ly-6 family of cell surface antigens, in bladder, esophagus, and stomach tumors. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 275, 783-8. https://doi.org/10.1006/bbrc.2000.3393
- Byrd JC, Bresalier RS (2004). Mucins and mucin binding proteins in colorectal cancer. Cancer Metastasis Rev, 23, 77-99. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1025815113599
- Cesar AC, Silva AE, Tajara EH (2002). Genetics and environmental factors in gastric carcinogenesis. Arq Gastroenterol, 39, 253-9.
- Elsamman EM, Fukumori T, Tanimoto S, et al (2006). The expression of prostate stem cell antigen in human clear cell renal cell carcinoma: A quantitative reverse transcriptasepolymerase chain reaction analysis. Bju International, 98, 668-73. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-410X.2006.06350.x
- Gendler SJ (2001). Muc1, the renaissance molecule. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia, 6, 339-53. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1011379725811
- Hikita ST, Kosik KS, Clegg DO, et al (2008). Muc1* mediates the growth of human pluripotent stem cells. PLoS One, 3, e3312. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0003312
- Jia YB, Persson C, Hou LF, et al (2010). A comprehensive analysis of common genetic variation in muc1, muc5ac, muc6 genes and risk of stomach cancer. Cancer Causes Control, 21, 313-21. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-009-9463-3
- Kufe DW (2009). Mucins in cancer: Function, prognosis and therapy. Nat Rev Cancer, 9, 874-85. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc2761
- Lu Y, Chen JJ, Ding YB, et al (2010). Genetic variation of psca gene is associated with the risk of both diffuse- and intestinaltype gastric cancer in a chinese population. International Journal of Cancer, 127, 2183-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25228
- Matsuo K, Tajima K, Suzuki T, et al (2009). Association of prostate stem cell antigen gene polymorphisms with the risk of stomach cancer in japanese. Int J Cancer, 125, 1961-4. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.24519
- Micev M, Cosic-Micev M (2011). [pathology and pathobiology of the gastric carcinoma]. Acta Chir Iugosl, 58, 39-52.
- Reiter RE, Gu Z, Watabe T, et al (1998). Prostate stem cell antigen: A cell surface marker overexpressed in prostate cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 95, 1735-40. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.95.4.1735
- Sala N, Munoz X, Travier N, et al (2011). Prostate stem-cell antigen gene is associated with diffuse and intestinal gastric cancer in caucasians: Results from the epic-eurgast study. Int J Cancer, 130, 2417-27.
- Sakamoto H, Yoshimura K, Saeki N, et al (2008). Genetic variation in psca is associated with susceptibility to diffusetype gastric cancer. Nature Genetics, 40, 730-40. https://doi.org/10.1038/ng.152
- Saeki N, Saito A, Choi IJ, et al (2011). A functional single nucleotide polymorphism in mucin 1, at chromosome 1q22, determines susceptibility to diffuse-type gastric cancer. Gastroenterology, 140, 892-902. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2010.10.058
- Song HR, Kim HN, Piao JM, et al (2011). Association of a common genetic variant in prostate stem-cell antigen with gastric cancer susceptibility in a korean population. Mol Carcinog, 50, 871-5. https://doi.org/10.1002/mc.20796
- Xu Q, Yuan Y, Sun LP, et al (2009). Risk of gastric cancer is associated with the muc1 568 a/g polymorphism. Int J Oncol, 35, 1313-20.
- Yin L, Li Y, Ren J, Kuwahara H, et al (2003). Human muc1 carcinoma antigen regulates intracellular oxidant levels and the apoptotic response to oxidative stress. J Biol Chem, 278, 35458-64. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M301987200
- Yoshida T, Ono H, Kuchiba A, et al (2010). Genome-wide germline analyses on cancer susceptibility and gemdbj database: Gastric cancer as an example. Cancer Sci, 101, 1582-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2010.01590.x
- Zeng Z, Wu X, Chen F, et al (2011). Polymorphisms in prostate stem cell antigen gene rs2294008 increase gastric cancer risk in chinese. Mol Carcinog, 50, 353-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/mc.20718
- MYC Deregulation in Gastric Cancer and Its Clinicopathological Implications vol.8, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0064420
- Quantitative assessment of the influence of prostate stem cell antigen polymorphisms on gastric cancer risk vol.35, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-013-1287-9
- Associations of Genetic Variants in the PSCA, MUC1 and PLCE1 Genes with Stomach Cancer Susceptibility in a Chinese Population vol.10, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0117576
- PSCA rs2294008 Polymorphism with Increased Risk of Cancer vol.10, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0136269
- Common Genetic Variants of PSCA, MUC1 and PLCE1 Genes are not Associated with Colorectal Cancer vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.6027
- Mucin 1 Gene (MUC1) and Gastric-Cancer Susceptibility vol.15, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms15057958
- Impact of DCC (rs714) and PSCA (rs2294008 and rs2976392) Gene Polymorphism in Modulating Cancer Risk in Asian Population vol.7, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/genes7020009
- MUC1 rs4072037 Polymorphism is Associated with Decreased Risk of Gastric Cancer: A Meta-analysis vol.32, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5301/ijbm.5000270
- MUC1, MUC5AC, and MUC6 polymorphisms, Helicobacter pylori infection, and gastric cancer pp.0959-8278, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1097/CEJ.0000000000000348