- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Predictive Role of ERCC1 and XPD Genetic Polymorphisms in Survival of Chinese Non-small Cell Lung Cancer Patients Receiving Chemotherapy
- Zhang, Zhen-Yong (Oncology Department, Shengjing Hospital Affiliated to China Medical University) ;
- Tian, Xin (Oncology Department, Shengjing Hospital Affiliated to China Medical University) ;
- Wu, Rong (Oncology Department, Shengjing Hospital Affiliated to China Medical University) ;
- Liang, Yuan (Oncology Department, Shengjing Hospital Affiliated to China Medical University) ;
- Jin, Xue-Ying (Oncology Department, Shengjing Hospital Affiliated to China Medical University)
- Published : 2012.06.30
Aim: There is increasing evidence that ERCC1 and XPD have roles in response to chemotherapy among patients with NSCLC, but the results are conflicting. Therefore, we conducted the present prospective study in a Chinese population. Methods: A total of 632 primary NSCLC patients were included, followed-up from May 2006 to May 2011. Polymorphisms were detected by real time PCR with TaqMan probse, using genomic DNA extracted from peripheral blood samples. The Cox regression model was used to analyze the hazard ratios (HR) for ERCC1 and XPD. Results: The median time of follow-up was 31.6 months. Our results showed the ERCC1 118 T/T(HR=1.65, 95% CI=1.17-2.43) and XPD 751 Gln/Gln genotypes (HR=1.52, 95%CI=1.04-2.08) were associated with an increased risk of death from NSCLC. Moreover, the ERCC118 T allele and XPD 751 Gln allele genotypes had a more higher risk of death from NSCLC among both ex-smokers and current smokers. Conclusion: In summary, ERCC1 and XPD gene polymorphisms might provide better prognostic predictive information for NSCLC patients in Chinese populations, with smoking possibly interacting with the genotypes.
ERCC1;XPD;polymorphism;non-small cell lung cancer;prognosis;chemotherapy
- Britten RA, Liu D, Tessier A, et al (2000). ERCC1 expression as a molecular marker of cisplatin resistance in human cervical tumor cells. Int J Cancer, 89, 453-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0215(20000920)89:5<453::AID-IJC9>3.0.CO;2-E
- Bunn PA, Jr Kelly K (1998). New chemotherapeutic agents prolong survival and improve quality of life in nonsmall cell lung cancer: a reviewof the literature and future directions. Clin Cancer Res, 4, 1087-100.
- Chen J, Larochelle S, Li X, et al (2003). Xpd/Ercc2 regulates CAK activity and mitotic progression. Nature, 424, 228-32. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature01746
- Evans E, Moggs JG, Hwang JR, et al (1997). Mechanism of open complex and dual incision formation by human nucleotide excision repair factors. EMBO J, 16, 6559-73. https://doi.org/10.1093/emboj/16.21.6559
- Evans T (2005). Chemotherapy in advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Semin Respir Crit CareMed, 26, 304-13. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2005-871989
- International Agency for Research on Cancer (2008). Lung cancer incidence, Mortality and Prevalence Worldwide in 2008. http://globocan.iarc.fr/factsheet.asp
- Isla D, Sarries C, Rosell R, et al (2004). Single nucleotide polymorphisms and outcome in docetaxel-cisplatin-treated advanced nonsmall-cell lung cancer. Ann Oncol, 15, 1194-203. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdh319
- Kageyama T, Nagashio R, Ryuge S, et al (2011). HADHA is a potential predictor of response to platinum-based chemotherapy for lung cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 3457-63.
- Kiyohara C, Yoshimasu K (2007). Genetic polymorphisms in the nucleotide excision repair pathway and lung cancer risk: a metaanalysis. Int J Med Sci, 4, 59-71.
- Krivak TC, Darcy KM, Tian C, et al (2011). Single nucleotide polypmorphisms in ERCC1 are associated with disease progression, and survival in patients with advanced stage ovarian and primary peritoneal carcinoma; a Gynecologic Oncology Group Study. Gynecol Oncol, 122, 121-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2011.03.027
- Lance C, McLennan G, Obuchowski N, et al (2011). Comparative analysis of the safety and efficacy of transcatheter arterial chemoembolization and yttrium-90 radioembolization in patients with unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma. J Vasc Interv Radiol, 22, 1697-705. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvir.2011.08.013
- Lord RV, Brabender J, Gandara D, et al (2002). Low ERCC1 expression correlates with prolonged survival after cisplatin plus gemcitabine chemotherapy in non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res, 8, 2286-91.
- Metzger R, Leichman CG, Danenberg KD, et al (1998). ERCC1 mRNA levels complement thymidylate synthase mRNA levels in predicting response and survival for gastric cancer patients receiving combination cisplatin and fluorouracil chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol, 16, 309-16.
- Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Collaborative Group (1995). Chemotherapy in non-small cell lung cancer: a meta-analysis using updated data on individuals patients from 52 randomized clinical trials. Br Med J, 311, 899-909. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.311.7010.899
- Olaussen KA, Dunant A, Fouret P, et al (2006). DNA repair by ERCC1 in non-small-cell lung cancer and cisplatin-based adjuvant chemotherapy. N Engl J Med, 355, 983-91. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa060570
- Ren S, Zhou S, Zhang L, et al (2010). High-level mRNA of excision repair cross-complementation group 1 gene is associated with poor outcome of platinum-based doublet chemotherapy of advanced nonsmall cell lung cancer patients. Cancer Invest, 28, 1078-83. https://doi.org/10.3109/07357901003735659
- Rosell R, Fossella F, Milas L(2002). Molecular markers and targeted therapy with novel agents: prospects in the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer, 38, 43-9.
- Rosell R, Taron M, Ariza A, et al (2004). Molecular predictors of response to chemotherapy in lung cancer. Semin Oncol, 31, 20-7.
- Ryu JS, Hong YC, Han HS, et al (2004). Association between polymorphisms of ERCC1 and XPD and survival in non-small-cell lung cancer patients treated with cisplatin combination chemotherapy. Lung Cancer, 44, 311-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2003.11.019
- Schiller JH, Harrington D, Belani CP, et al (2002). Comparison of four chemotherapy regimens for advanced non-small cell lung cancer. N Engl JMed, 346, 92-8. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa011954
- Shirota Y, Stoehlmacher J, Brabender J, et al (2001). ERCC1 and thymidylate synthase mRNA levels predict survival for colorectal cancer patients receiving combination oxaliplatin and fluorouracil chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol, 19, 4298-304.
- Stoehlmacher J, Park DJ, Zhang W, et al (2004). A multivariate analysis of genomic polymorphisms: prediction of clinical outcome to 5-FU/oxaliplatin combination chemotherapy in refractory colorectal cancer. Br J Cancer, 91, 344-54.
- Yan PW, Huang XE, Yan F, et al (2011). Influence of MDR1 gene codon 3435 polymorphisms on outcome of platinum-based chemotherapy for advanced non small cell lung cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2291-4.
- Zhang N, Lin LY, Zhu LL, et al (2012). ERCC1 polymorphisms and risk of adult glioma in a Chinese population: a hospitalbased case-control study. Cancer Invest, 30, 199-202. https://doi.org/10.3109/07357907.2011.651233
- mRNA Expression and Clinical Significance of ERCC1, BRCA1, RRM1, TYMS and TUBB3 in Postoperative Patients with Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer vol.14, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.2987
- Polymorphisms in XPD Gene Could Predict Clinical Outcome of Platinum-Based Chemotherapy for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Patients: A Meta-Analysis of 24 Studies vol.8, pp.11, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0079864
- Predictive Value of XPD Polymorphisms on Platinum-Based Chemotherapy in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis vol.8, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0072251
- ERCC1 as a Biological Marker Guiding Management in Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma vol.15, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4117
- Expression of ERCC1, MSH2 and PARP1 in Non-small Cell Lung Cancer and Prognostic Value in Patients Treated with Platinum-based Chemotherapy vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2591
- The association between the ERCC1/2 polymorphisms and the clinical outcomes of the platinum-based chemotherapy in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): a systematic review and meta-analysis vol.35, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-013-1493-5
- Polymorphisms in ERCC1 gene could predict clinical outcome of platinum-based chemotherapy for non-small cell lung cancer patients vol.35, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-014-2033-7
- ERCC1 Single Nucleotide Polymorphism C8092A, but Not Its Expression Is Associated with Survival of Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma Patients from Fujian Province, China vol.9, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0106600
- Investigating the Frequency of the ERCC1 Gene C8092A Polymorphism in Iranian Patients with Advanced Gastric Cancer vol.17, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.3.1369
- Xeroderma pigmentosum complementation group D polymorphism toward lung cancer susceptibility survival and response in patients treated with platinum chemotherapy vol.13, pp.29, 2017, https://doi.org/10.2217/fon-2017-0211
- A genetic variant in long non-coding RNA MALAT1 associated with survival outcome among patients with advanced lung adenocarcinoma: a survival cohort analysis vol.17, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-017-3151-6
- ERCC1/BRCA1 expression and gene polymorphisms as prognostic and predictive factors in advanced NSCLC treated with or without cisplatin vol.108, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2013.127
- Predictive Value of Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms of ERCC1, XPA, XPC, XPD and XPG Genes, Involved in NER Mechanism in Patients with Advanced NSCLC Treated with Cisplatin and Gemcitabine pp.1532-2807, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12253-018-0459-8